Sunny... Day?

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

It’s the last week of your term. You became very busy with studying for the exams; same with Mingyu and Wonwoo. But still, the three of you never failed to meet at the greenhouse every day. For the past few days the three of you studied together in the greenhouse, noses buried in books. Aside from rustling pages, the only sounds you can hear were Mingyu’s occasional grunts from tiredness and birds tweeting nearby.

 

Tomorrow would be the last day of your exams, and the three of you agreed to meet at the greenhouse immediately after. I promised to tell them everything about myself, without holding back anything, and they promised to share about their lives too.

 

I only have one exam for tomorrow, and they have two. Which means they have more lessons to study today, and I’ll have to wait for them to finish tomorrow.

 

As I closed my book and stretched, I stopped and looked at the sight in front of me. I saw Wonwoo sleeping; he was slouched on the chair while cradling his Science book. Beside him, is Mingyu who is also asleep, using his Science book as his pillow.

 

I smiled to myself unconsciously. Beautiful. I thought again.

 

I must’ve done something in my previous life to have friends like them. This is my first time to have real friends like them who I know will always have my back and will always be there for me. Like a family, I thought.

 

I don’t want to go anywhere. I wouldn’t want to change schools again. I don’t want to meet anyone else. For the first time in my life, I had something that’s not scripted, or something that I was not trained for. I made genuine friends.

 

These two boys did more than just save me from a fight on that day. They saved me from the emptiness and loneliness I felt ever since my mom passed away.

 

I leaned on my book and closed my eyes. Unknowingly, I smiled again, thinking about tomorrow.

 

 

I put down my pen and turned over my exam paper. FINALLY! I internally screamed and let out a big sigh. Exams are finally done and I just finished my first term in this school. I look forward to more terms just because of Wonwoo and Mingyu. Everything just becomes so bearable whenever you have friends like them who cheer you on and makes you forget all the hard times.

 

I glanced at the clock, we still have 10 minutes before the teacher collects our papers. I leaned back on my chair and looked out the window. I took the time to appreciate everything I can see from the window, as I never really look out the window often, because the teacher would think I’m zoning out, and nobody likes to be scolded.

 

It’s a sunny day, as summer is drawing near. The sun is very bright today. I can barely see some clouds and a lot of birds are flying between trees.

 

As I was following a bird with my eyes as it flies from tree to tree, a black car that entered the school gates caught my eye.

 

Huh, they’re early. I thought to myself.

 

I was usually fetched to and from the school by a driver and a bodyguard, or a nanny. They’re the ones who live with me in the house. I am not really attached to them, since they’re not my family and they’re just there because of their jobs. We have like an unspoken agreement where I make their jobs easy, and in return, they make my life easy. As simple as that.

 

I told them to fetch me in the afternoon. I thought. Well, they have to wait. I looked away from the window as the teacher started collecting our papers.

 

I stood up from my desk, about to go out of the classroom when a faculty teacher entered and called me.

 

“Ms. Kwon, the principal wants to see you.”, she said.

 

“Oh. Okay, I’ll come. Thank you.”, I replied. She turned away and walked back to the office.

 

I’m actually used to getting called to the principal’s office. My father’s people usually come here to talk to me, whenever there is an update to what I need to say to people or if I need to be trained for a new lie. So I thought it must be one of those days.

 

Or so I thought.

 

As I entered the principal’s office, I saw the principal, my bodyguard, my trainer and two other people that I don’t know, sitting down.

 

I was quite shocked to see a lot of people today, because usually it’s just my trainer or her with a bodyguard. I greeted and sat down anyways.

 

“Ah… Ms. Kwon.”, the principal greeted. “How are your exams?”

 

“It was good. I think I did well.”, I confidently answered.

 

“Yes, yes. I heard that you are one of the top 5% in your grade?”, the principal happily added.

 

“Oh, really? I guess I am. Thank you very much.”, I am? Wow, I really need to check the bulletin boards next time.

 

“And you’re happy with your stay here?”, the principal asked again. I noticed my trainer shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

 

“Oh, yes I am. Everyone is nice and I did not have a hard time adjusting. This is one of the best schools I’ve been to.”, I answered smiling. Thanks to Mingyu and Wonwoo.

 

“Our school is honored to have students like you, Ms. Kwon. We value you as much as you value us. Seeing that everything is going well, I don’t understand why you have to go and leave our school.”, he sadly said.