Lost & Finally Found

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

I dressed in my most intimidating outfit today and put on some red lipstick. My closet consists of strong or dark colors. Come to think of it, I don't really have light colors or girly outfits. Even my makeup, most of my lipsticks are red. There's something about strong colors that gets me.

Or is it the reaction I get... I kind of like it when people get intimidated by seeing me, or get scared and nervous. Today, I will interview people who wants to be my new manager. If applicants can't handle my pressure, then they can't handle the job at all. I'm looking for only the best, and I am going to get only the best.

Minutes after I arrived at my office, Seungkwan delivered some papers to me and recited my schedule for the day as usual.

"... they are just awaiting your confirmation for that. That's it for today, you don't really have schedules for today aside from the interviews.", Seungkwan ended with a smile.

I nodded. "How many will come today?"

"There are 41 who sent in their applications yesterday. After screening them, I called 9 for the interview today."

I'm shocked to hear the numbers. "41? Is that normal whenever J Corp. announces an opening?", I asked, dumbfounded.

"This time it's actually quite few... last time the company had an opening there were around 70-80 people who applied.", Seungkwan said while looking at the ceiling and counting with his fingers.

I sighed. "Well, 41 to 9 isn't so bad. I trust your judgement on this.", I pointed my pen to Seungkwan and he nodded. "I'm going to finish a few things and we'll start in a while. Have them ready."

"Ne bujangnim.", Seungkwan exited.

After finishing all my paperworks, I sighed and sat back on my chair. I stood up, looked out the window and took a deep breath. There's a reason I worked hard for this position, the same reason why I don't want to get promoted yet; it's because of this office. I don't want to leave it. My office has the best view this building could offer; the cityscape, the sea and the sun. Whenever it's sunrise or sunset, it seems like I am eye-level with the sun, and I liked it.

But of course, I don't tell that to anyone. I was already offered a department head promotion once. When they asked me why I don't want to accept, I simply say, "I feel like I still have a lot to do with my position. I'm not ready yet."

After a short break, I pressed a button on my phone and said, "Seungkwan. I'm ready for the interviews. Come here first." It is my direct line to Seungkwan, so I don't have to personally call him myself or dial manually his number.

Seungkwan came in saying, "Would you like to see their applications first... or...", he trailed off, holding papers in his hand.

"Ani, here's what we're going to do. I'll phone you when the last person is finished, then hand me the next person's application and let him in. I don't want a lot of papers on my desk.", I quickly fixed my table as there were a lot of papers, and handed them to Seungkwan, whose hands are already full.

"Ah ne! Then, I'll hand you the first one.", he struggled, but successfully handed me the paper of the first applicant. A female.

"Okay, send her in."

After 2 hours, I already interviewed 5 people and at this point I'm not really sure who to pick, they're all great but I feel like something is missing.

As the 5th person went out of my office, I closed my eyes tight and massaged my forehead. Seungkwan came in shortly. "Bujangnim, here is the 6th-"

"Just... put it... on my table.", I waved my hand and turned my back on him. I kept my eyes closed because I fear that opening them would make me dizzy. I massaged my temples.

As if on cue, my cellphone rang. I pulled it out of my coat, stood up and answered it.

Argh, the sun is too bright today. I thought as I squinted while looking out the window.

I was busy talking on the phone but I heard Seungkwan say, "He's already here, bujangnim."

Without facing him, I waved to acknowledge what he said. I heard the door close.

"... yes, yes. I'll have someone pick it up and I'll review it. Okay... okay."

I ended the call and turned around to face the applicant. "Sorry I just had t-"

But I didn't get to finish what I was about to say. I know I'm good with controlling emotions and facial expressions, but I was not prepared for this one.

Hell, who would've thought this day would come?

Standing in front of me, eyes wide with shock and smiling with disbelief...

... is Kim Mingyu.

And as if answering me, he said...

... "Kwon Soo Jin."