Q & A

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

- Narrator's POV -

This would be the perfect moment to say, Time does stand still. Mingyu is looking at Soojin as if he's not there for an interview, as if they're not in an office, as if he is studying her face. But Soojin...

She is looking at Mingyu with pure shock and utter disbelief. The cold Soojin facade is gone.

Mingyu was the first one to recover from the staredown; he finally broke the awkward silence.

"Have you... been well?", he asked cautiously.

Soojin doesn't know how to answer but thankfully, someone knocked and Seungkwan entered her office. Both of them looked at Seungkwan. "Bujangnim, here's your coffee that you asked for earlier. I'm sorry it came late.", he put down the coffee on the table in front of Soojin.

"A-ani... kwenchana...", Soojin wasn't able to form her words clearly and stammered.

You're heaven-sent, Seungkwan. Soojin thought. She made a mental note to treat him to food later.

Seungkwan left and thanks to his distraction, Soojin had time to think quickly and ready herself for the situation.

She acted like nothing happened and gestured to Mingyu to sit down. Mingyu is still staring at Soojin, quite unsure what to say or do.

Soojin picked up the papers and her pen, not looking at him. "Kim. Min. Gyu.", she tapped on the paper while saying every single word. Mingyu didn't answer so she continued to look through his profile.

Mingyu had impressive records. He studied in Seoul National University, one of Korea's prestigious SKY universities, took up business and graduated top of his class, and a whole lot more achievements that Soojin didn't see in any of the previous applicants' records.

But actually, Soojin is using this time to formulate a plan in her head. She can't let Mingyu get to her. She just won't let him. After all these years, that's not going to be easy. Or rather, that's not going to happen.

She must've been quiet for too long, Mingyu said, "I didn't know you'd be here."

Soojin ignored that and put down Mingyu's paper. "I'm quite bored. I've been reading the same things over and over again for the whole day. Tell me something that's not on that.", she pointed at Mingyu's paper. "Tell me something I don't know.", she looked at Mingyu directly in the eye.

Mingyu was taken aback by the sudden show of coldness by Soojin. Doesn't she remember me? He thought. But he's sure Soojin recognized him.

"I'm rich.", Mingyu blurted out.

Soojin scoffed. "Ha... mwo?!", she's surprised that he said that. But, she already knows that he is rich.

"My family are owners of several bars and restaurants in Gangnam, and we own a hotel in Jeju. We are very business-oriented as a family.", he said.

"Then why are you here? Why are you, a rich businessman, applying for a job?", I challenged him. Why, Mingyu?

"Because I want this kind of job. I want to market products, people, businesses, brands. In PR, our job is to make something look good, even if it isn't. Somehow, I find it challenging.", Mingyu stated with a slight smile on his face. His face really brightened up at the thought of it.

"Then what does your family say about this?", Soojin asked.

"Well, I'd be lying if I say they were not mad at first... But since it's also business-related, they reluctantly agreed. As long as I keep my promise to them to take care of our business from time to time.", he answered.

Soojin was quite surprised at Mingyu's serious tone. He changed, she thought. He is not the silly Mingyu I used to know.

"Now it's time for my questions.", Mingyu suddenly said.

That made Soojin look at Mingyu. "What did you say?", she said disbelievingly.

"That day... where did you go? Why leave without a word, Soojin-ah?", Mingyu asked.

Mingyu's question caught Soojin off guard. But being the trained liar she is, she answered with a straight face, "I don't know what you're talking about. Ah... I think I forgot... but, it's not really that important, is it?", she summoned one of her fake smiles.

Taking advantage of Mingyu's stunned expression and silence, Soojin said, "Now Kim Mingyu-ssi, if you don't have any more questions related to the position you're applying for or the company, I would like you to do a simple task for me."

Every single one of the applicants, Soojin made them "sell" an object to her, any object that she can find easily on her desk, to test their persuasion and convincing skills. But this time for Mingyu, she stood up, got a flower from one of her vases, and handed it to him.

"Sell this to me.", she said.

It was a light pink rose, her favorite flower.

Mingyu looked at the flower, then at Soojin. So you still like light pink roses, huh?

Soojin sat back down on her desk and said, "Whenever you're ready."

Mingyu stood up and turned away from Soojin. Holding the rose, he twirled it between his fingers. Soojin watched him do that, and there's something about it that's mesmerizing.

Mingyu paced around the room, "Why would I sell something that I know you already like? There must be a reason you picked this rose, out of all the things in your office. People are strange like that, once you see something you like, you know in that split second that you're going to buy it. But for some reason, you stop and look at the object a few more times, hesitating... but what you don't know is that, you're already sold for that object. As much as I know how you like this rose already. And you're going to continue buying this even if I fail to sell it to you.", Mingyu put the rose down in front of Soojin.

"Our job is to make people like something that they haven't heard of or haven't seen. To put it simply; make people like something they don't like. So tell me...", Mingyu put both of his hands on Soojin's desk and moved his face close to her face.

"... why would I convince you to like something that I know you already like?", Mingyu breathed.

Soojin looked deep into Mingyu's eyes and noticed that they're deep brown. Coming to her senses, she coughed to break the tension. "Ehem, erm... Ah, ne... Good job, Kim Mingyu-ssi. You may sit down.", flustered, she looked down.

Mingyu sat back down with a small smile playing on his lips. I won.

"I think that will be it for today. My team will just contact you. Thank you for your time.", Soojin said without looking up at Mingyu.

Mingyu nodded and got up from his seat. Pausing at the door, he said while his back is turned, "You know, I haven't heard from Wonwoo for a very long time. Just in case you're wondering.", after saying that, Mingyu left her office.

Soojin let out a very big sigh that she has been holding in. He lost contact with Wonwoo? How?

Soojin phoned Seungkwan, "Seungkwan-ah, how many are left?"

"There are 3 more.", he answered.

"Let them all go home. We're done for the day.", Soojin ordered.

"Ne?! But bujangnim...", Seungkwan sounds confused.

"Just do what I say, Boo gwajang. Let's meet at the board room in 30 minutes.", Soojin said.

While waiting for the elevator, Mingyu lost the smile he has been wearing and replaced it with a worried look. If only I knew I'd find you here, I'd come sooner, Soojin-ah. What happened to you, really?