The New Director

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

"Do it naturally.", I told the stylist.

I'm at a hair shop, getting my hair and makeup done. I can do it by myself, but for big company gatherings like this, I prefer a professional.

It's the night of the launching party. The new director will be introduced to the company with what me and my team have prepared for a whole week, and I can say I'm quite proud of everyone. Everything is ready, I just told them to arrive 30 minutes before it starts.

I opened my eyes. I was supposed to have a quick nap while the stylist is working on my face and hair, but a thought crossed my mind. Soojin-ah, why the hell did you drink that night?!

This is all Mingyu's fault. I thought. If he hadn't challenged me, I wouldn't have done it. If he hadn't teased me back in my office, I would have come alone. Mingyu keeps pushing me to do things I haven't done before. I occassionally drink a glass of wine or champagne, let alone a glass of beer or a shot of soju. Because I know I get drunk easily and have very low tolerance for alcohol.

I also know I talk a lot when I drink. I thought about it long and hard, but I just couldn't remember anything I said that night. When I woke up the next morning, I'm already at home, lying on my sofa.

I asked Mingyu about it the next day, and he said he took me home and had a hard time too. I didn't dare ask anything after that. I'm just thankful Mingyu took me home. I earned a newfound respect for him after that night.

After I'm done and dressed, I called a chauffeur to pick me up and take me to the venue. I couldn't possibly drive in a long gown, right?

- Mingyu's POV -

I arrived an hour early, too early based on what Soojin said. After a while our team members started arriving. Seungkwan is wearing a light pink suit and I smiled when I approached him.



"Ya~ Boo Seungkwan! Woah...", I patted him on the shoulder and admired his suit.

"Ya be quiet!", he hushed as he looked around. "We're in a formal company party, act like it!"

"Ne, ne... Boo gwajang. You look good!", I said as I handed him his in-ear. Everyone on our team gets an in-ear as this is how we communicate while the party is ongoing.

"Thanks.", he bashfully answered.

I looked at my watch, only 15 minutes before the party starts. Soojin should've arrived by now. I went outside the doors.

That's when I saw her.

Carefully climbing up the stairs, Soojin is wearing a very beautiful red gown. It fits her body well, it's like it's made for her. Well, duh Mingyu. I don't know how to describe it, but I'm quite confused as to what is shining more; Soojin or her gown filled with crystals and adorned with lace.



The moment our eyes met when she reached the top of the stairs, I knew it couldn't get any better than this. You should've seen her. Her eyes was just... sparkling. She wasn't wearing her usual heavy makeup, she was just... her. Like a light pink rose.

"Hi.", I breathed.

She smiled. "Is everything alright?"

I couldn't help but look into her eyes. "I am. I-I mean... Y-yes, everything is set.", I stammered as I handed her in-ear.

"Let's go.", she said and we entered the hall.

The hall was decorated and designed just like how Soojin visualized it, according to the new director's tastes. I'm really proud of her and our team, now I saw for myself how great she is at her job.

The party started, with the executives in a huddle and some of the employees mingling, with some guests. Me, Seungkwan and others from our team are going around, making sure everything is okay while Soojin is half-mingling and half-monitoring. What, I couldn't take my eyes off of her, okay?

After some introductions and opening messages, Chairman Jeon Myungseok spoke in front. "I am standing here but I don't think I'm the best person to deliver the news to you. My brother, instead will announce it.", he gestured to Vice President Jeon Heonwoo and everyone clapped.

 

"Firstly, I would like to thank Team Leader Kwon Soojin and her team for organizing this,", he looked around the hall and acknowledged Soojin, who waved back and smiled. "It's amazing, how she pulled this off even though she did not know her client. And we all know how important that is to us.", everyone laughed and agreed.

"As you all know, we kept the new director's identity a secret up until now. Our reasons are because we wanted it to be a surprise, because we prepared so much. The new director trained in London for this day, and it's a waste to just simply announce it, right?", he continued.

I'm listening, but I'm slowly starting to get bored so I looked across the hall for Soojin. I wonder if she already knows I kissed her that night. But I don't think she knows. She was knocked out, and when she asked me the next morning, I just told her I took her home. Which is the truth.

"... so everyone, I present to you... J Corporation's new director, who will be working together with Director Yoo Daehyun..."

Would Soojin start to open up her heart to me? I thought while still looking at her.

"... my son, Director Jeon Wonwoo."