Introducing Her

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

I'm sitting in the board room with Seungkwan. We are discussing the applicants and interviews, as we are going to decide today who to hire.

"... next is Yoo Hokyung, the one from Kyunghee University and..."

Yoo-ssi's photo came into view, and I stared blankly. Seungkwan prepared a powerpoint presentation for the quick rundown of the profiles of the applicants. I am nodding along at what Seungkwan is saying, but in reality, my mind is somewhere else.

Why would I convince you to like something that I know you already like? Mingyu's voice lingering in my ears.

"... then lastly, we have Kim Mingyu.", Seungkwan interrupted my thoughts.

My eyes darted to Mingyu's photo on the screen. I sat up straight on my chair.

"From Seoul National University, graduated #1 in Business Management, most notable work is his marketing strategy for a European clothing brand franchise here in Korea."

While Seungkwan was talking, I walked and stood in front of the screen. Mingyu's eyes stare back at me.

"What do you think, Seungkwan-ah?", I asked a general question, but deep inside I know I'm asking about Mingyu.

"If I were the one to decide, I'd choose Kim Mingyu. But then again, now it depends on how your interview went with them.", Seungkwan said.

Why would I convince myself to like something else when I've already decided? You know exactly the answer, Soojin. I thought.

I nodded, more to myself than at Seungkwan. "Contact him."
----
- Mingyu's POV -

Today I start my first day of work at J Corp. Being a manager at J Corp. is a big deal, but I know I can pull it off. What I'm nervous about is being Soojin's manager. I don't know why, but somehow she makes me nervous.

I arrived at the office a bit early and I don't know where to go so I sat in front of Seungkwan's desk. Poor kid, I thought. I saw him running around all day yesterday, hands always full of papers and other stuff. As far as I know, he's also Soojin's manager.

After a while, the office started to fill and Seungkwan arrived. "Oh you're here. Annyeonghaseyo.", Seungkwan greeted me.

"Oh annyeonghaseyo, Boo gwajangnim.", I bowed.

"Call me Boo gwajang, or just Seungkwan. Besides, we're both managers.", Seungkwan settled himself onto his desk.

I nodded and wondered, "When will Kwon Soojin arrive?"

Seungkwan looked up at me surprised. "That's a first. Usually people ask first about where is their desk or their tasks, but you're the first one to ask about bujangnim."

Oh right, they call her that here. She's a boss.


"She'll come a little later, but you won't report to her directly yet. Today, I'll train you and teach you the basics. I'll also show you around the office and the company first.", Seungkwan said, while clicking a lot on his computer and fixing some papers.

I looked around the office and absorbed everything. So this is her world. I thought. And my world.

"Let's go?", Seungkwan stood up and gestured for me to follow him.

Seungkwan toured me around the company and showed me the offices and facilities. What impressed me the most is their cafeteria. It was like coming to a buffet.

"Does Soojin enjoy eating here?", I blurted out.

Seungkwan looked at me like I'm crazy, and only do I realized that I did ask a strange question. On top of that, I addressed her by her name only.

"Bujangnim... does not eat here. She only does when she has scheduled lunch meetings here, and that's rare too.", Seungkwan emphasized on 'bujangnim'.

"Well, how does she eat? I'm just curious... she's my boss too, right? So I need to know...", I pretended to look around.

"Most of the time she eats alone; in her office or she goes out alone to eat. We only see her eat with someone when it is a meeting or a gathering, but for casual eat-outs, she doesn't eat with anyone.", Seungkwan said.

"Why? Is she always busy? Or is she sick that's why she had to eat alone?", I worriedly ask.

"Aniyo!", Seungkwan must've been shocked by my sudden concern that he answered back. "It's just that... that's her. You won't get to see her hangout with friends... or people. Unless it's work-related."

What happened to Soojin?

Seungkwan and I met some people while walking around and he introduced me to them. Funny, because they all say the same thing. "Oh, you're her new manager? You must be good. Goodluck!"

We reached the lobby and stopped in front of a large golden board, where the hierarchy of the company is there along with the names of the executives.

"Now let me introduce you to the bosses.", he pointed at the board and said, "Of course I can't introduce them to you personally, but you should know this much."

I read the board.

CHAIRMAN / CEO
Jeon Myungseok

PRESIDENT / COO
Yoo Hyunshik

VICE PRESIDENT
Jeon Heonwoo

DIRECTOR
Yoo Daehyun
_____________


"There is a blank space under director.", I pointed out to him. "Ah yes, I heard there will be a new director soon. But there's no news of it yet.", Seungkwan answered. I shrugged and continue to look at our department's branch.

DEPARTMENT HEAD
Go Jungwook

SENIOR HEAD MANAGER/TEAM LEADER
Kwon Soojin
Jung Soyoung


"There are 2 team leaders?", I asked, quite surprised. I thought Soojin was the only one in her position.

"Yes. Each team leaders must have 2 managers. For Kwon bujangnim, that's me and you.", Seungkwan pointed at his name, then to a blank space under it.

"Will my name go there?", I pointed at the blank space excitedly.

Seungkwan smiled and hit me on the shoulder. "Yes, of course! I was happy too when I saw my name there. We are at the bottom of the executive hierarchy, but it is an executive position we worked hard for and the best part is...", he leaned closer to whisper, "... we get to order around lower and newer employees.", he snickered.

"Hahaha, you're right.", I laughed. "Tell me more about Kwon bujangnim.", I begged Seungkwan while we were on the elevator going up to our office.

"She is scary and no one dares contradict her ideas. But, eventhough she's like that, she's excellent, clever and kind. She's scary because she only wants the best results. No one goes against her because her ideas are already perfect to begin with. But if you ask me, she works too much. She must've been lonely.", Seungkwan ended with a sigh.

"How do you know all these?", I wondered if Seungkwan is a friend of Soojin's.

"I worked for her for 3 years already. I would know everything. Honestly, I think I am the closest to a 'friend' that she has. I haven't seen her with anyone outside of work. For 3 years, her schedule is always filled with work, work, work."

"No friends, no family?", I asked.

Seungkwan shook his head. "None at all."

At that moment, the elevator doors opened. It's like time stood still again.

Soojin was standing in front of the elevator, deep in thought. The moment she looked up, her eyes met mine. Her exterior might be strong and powerful... but her eyes are soft and sad.

Soojin-ah, I'm here now.