I Am Director Jeon

RUN TO YOU | Seventeen

- Wonwoo’s POV -

 

My first week in the company passed by like a blur. I was so busy signing documents, attending meetings and getting briefed by my secretary. I haven’t seen my table without a paper and I see my secretary more than my own family. But I’m not complaining, this is my work now. I’m thinking I’ll get used to it, since it’s only my first week.

 

As I was signing another document, someone knocked on the door of my office. Thinking it’s my assistant again, I didn’t look up. “Yes, yes… Secretary Lee… I’m already signing like crazy here so I can fin-“, I looked up and saw it’s not Secretary Lee. It’s Yoo Daehyun, the other director.

 

“I barely see you out of this office so I came to see you myself. You should be honored.”, Director Yoo tucked his hands in his pockets and looked around my office.

 

I closed the folder I was signing and put down my pen. “Director Yoo, what brings you here?”

 

“Just looking at how our new director is doing… Well, you must be doing well on your own since you rarely ask for help…”, he was pacing around my office.

 

“Well, to be fair, I was trained before I came to this position. So I should know a lot of things. If there are things I need help with, I can always trust my secretary on that.”, I smiled. I don’t quite like where this is going. I opened my folder again and started reading and signing.

 

“So you’re good. Being the vice president’s son has its perks, right?” There he goes, using the family card.

 

“You being the president’s son also has its perks, right?”, I replied.

 

I saw Director Yoo turn around. “Are you mocking me?”, he asked.

 

I looked up. “Ani. Why would I do that? I mean, you’re better. You spent a longer time in this company than I have.” Go away. I thought. I went back to signing.

 

He nodded and headed out. Stopping at the door, he said, “I saw you dancing with that team leader at the party. You must’ve taken a liking to her.”

 

I stopped signing midway and looked straight at Daehyun. “I invited her to dance to express my gratitude for preparing the party, that’s all. And as far as I know, it’s none of your business whom I dance with. It’s a party after all.”

 

He shrugged. “I just noticed. Honestly, I never paid attention to Team Leader Kwon before. She’s just… so-so.”

 

I stood up so quickly that my pen was sent flying somewhere. Breathe, Wonwoo. Relax.

 

Director Yoo looked at me strangely. “Mwoya, why are you angry?”

 

I steadied my breathing and said, “You shouldn’t say those things about an employee.”

 

“And why not?”, he questioned me. When I didn’t answer, he added, “You should be careful. People will think you have some relationship with her… and we don’t want that when you’re still new, don’t we?”, he opened the door and exited my office.

 

I sat back down. I already know why Director Yoo is acting this way towards me. He must not like it when a new director was added alongside him, especially when the new director is me. He was the only director for almost 2 years already.

 

You see, J Corp. was founded by my uncle along with his best friend President Yoo Hyunshik. At that time, they were assisted by my father. My father asked for my help, actually begged for it, to enter the company. They are going to retire soon and they want someone dependable to leave it to. Daehyun was the strongest candidate, until I came. I heard that the Yoo family was not quite happy about it.

 

I pulled out my phone and called Mingyu. “Mingyu-ya, are you free tonight?”, I immediately said as soon as he answered. “Yeah, I am. What’s up?”, he asked.

 

“Take me to your best bar.”, I said.

 

“Aish… something happened, am I right? Arasso. I’ll send you the address.”, he hung up. That’s my Mingyu.

 

When I arrived at the bar, Mingyu was behind the bar. “Ya, are you bartending?”, I was confused.

 

“If I’m the barista, then how could we talk? Ani, I’ll be the one making our first round of drinks. What would you like?”, he gestured at different bottles. After he made our drinks and sat down, he immediately asked, “How was your first week?”

 

I sighed. “As a director, it was fulfilling. As a friend… man, I’m tired.”, we both laughed.

 

“Same. I thought Soojin would change even a bit after that night. But no, I still feel like I’m working for a time bomb. She’s still scary. I bet you would be scared if you work for her.”, Mingyu told me while I sipped my drink.

 

I told Mingyu about what happened earlier with Daehyun. “Ya, what’s so great about him anyway? Between him and you, Soojin would be a better choice for the company. No one can defeat her.”, he swerved as I punched him on the arm.

 

“But seriously, what’s his deal? If he’s so sure and confident, then he should be the chairman in no time.”, Mingyu wondered. "And Soojin isn't so-so. She can run the company single-handedly and it will still be number one in Korea.", he added.

 

“That’s the point. There’s a reason why my father wanted me to join the company. And I think it’s this reason: he doesn’t want the Yoos to run it. And he can’t tell my uncle about it because they’re friends.”, I explained. Mingyu’s face became serious.

 

“I’m sure it will turn out fine. Just do your best, show them who’s the boss. You’re Wonwoo! You’re a Jeon! If anything bad happens, you have your family. You have me and Soojin.”, he smiled and patted my back.

 

“Thanks.”, I downed the rest of my drink.

 

“I was thinking of going on a trip with you and Soojin. Just the three of us. Do you think that’s possible?”, Mingyu suddenly asked.

 

“Mwo? Why so sudden…”, I was surprised by his idea. But it wasn’t so bad. “I think it’s possible but it might be hard, with all our jobs.”, Mingyu looked defeated, so I thought of an idea.

 

“But as a director… I can request trips for departments and teams. That’s how we avoid stress in the office.”, I looked at Mingyu and smiled.

 

“Now that’s something to look forward to.”, we toasted.