Chapter 8

A Vampire's Story

Chani was out on a late night hunt with Sungyeol and Myungsoo, having found this time to be when they wouldn't be disturbed. There had been rumors of a man eating mountain lion being passed around in the neighboring towns and Chani took it upon himself to find said mountain lion to bring back for a bounty. They weren't low in money, no it was quite the opposite, but it was something to do and everyone was getting bored.

"Tell me why we're going after this thing again?" Asked Myungsoo. "It's my favorite thing to hunt, sue me," said Sungyeol. "It gets us out of the house," said Chani as he stopped suddenly. The others came to a stop beside him, looking around. "Looks like we're not alone in this situation," said Myungsoo as they heard howling nearby. "I swear to god if these mutts are what's causing the rumors," grumbled Sungyeol as Chani looked around.

"Split up," Chani said suddenly. "Make a wide circle around, you got your headsets right?" He asked, putting on the earpiece. Myungsoo and Sungyeol put on their earpieces. "Check," Chani said into the earpiece. "Got it," said Sungyeol. Myungsoo nodded. "Okay, go," said Chani. Sungyeol and Myungsoo took off in separate directions, going to make a circle around. Chani took a minute to take in his surroundings before continuing forward.

"I found him," came Sungyeol's voice after a few minutes. "Who?" Asked Chani. "Your pup," said Sungyeol. "Is he alone?" Asked Chani. "No," said Sungyeol. "Leave him," said Chani. "Alright," said Sungyeol before it went quiet again.

Chani sighed and shook his head as he continued forward. "I know this is troubling you," said Myungsoo. "We can't interfere unless they bring it to us," said Chani. "I know you want to do something but this is frustrating," said Sungyeol. "Even Sungjong can see how miserable you are kid," said Myungsoo. Chani hummed in response before he was tackled by something. "Well, I found him," he said as he wrestled with the mountain lion. "We're on our way," said Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

There was a howl and the mountain lion was suddenly tackled off of Chani, causing Chani to leap up in surprise. "Pup!" Yelled Chani when he saw Jaemin. "Back off!" He said. Jaemin snarled as he circled around the mountain lion. "Damn it," said Chani. "I said back off," he growled, causing Jaemin to whine and back off, only to be attacked. "Son of a," snarled Chani as he grabbed the big cat and dragged it off Jaemin, wrestling with it. He was careful to watch out for the claws, not wanting his new favorite jacket ruined.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo soon appeared, causing Chani to push the cat towards Sungyeol who gladly bit into its neck and drained it. "Damn thing ruined my jacket," said Chani as he looked at his now nearly shredded hoodie before taking it off. "Cory's gonna be pissed," he said, sighing.

Myungsoo turned to Jaemin. "Best you head on home now," he said. "Don't think of it as returning the favor," said Chani as he shook his head. "That didn't even come close," he said, turning away. "Go home now," he said. Jaemin whimpered before Chani heard him leave.

Chani sighed and leaned against a tree. Sungyeol dropped the cat after he was done, turning to Chani. "You'll be alright," he said. "I know," said Chani. "I don't like sounding so harsh with him but," he said, sighing a bit. "Sometimes you have to wait for them to ask for help," said Myungsoo. "I know," said Chani.

"Well," said Sungyeol. "Let's drag this thing back and take it to the bounty place tomorrow," he said. Chani nodded and helped Sungyeol drag the mountain lion back home with Myungsoo keeping an eye on things.

The next day the people who placed the bounty came and picked up the mountain lion, paying them the money earned. Chani got to listen to the latest news for a bit, hearing about a certain group of boys hanging out in their section of the woods. There was also rumors of increased wolf activity but he knew who was behind it. They were told to be careful before the people left, leaving Chani to take in the news.

"Hm," said Chani as he went to sit on the porch swing. "Looks like they're being noticed," said Myungsoo as he sat beside Chani. "It seems so," said Chani as he scrolled through his phone for any new messages. "I'm going to Toronto," said Sungjong as he came outside. "Be careful," said Chani as he didn't look up. Sungjong nodded and left.

Sungyeol came over and sat beside Myungsoo, reading a book. "Finally got tired of the movie watching?" Asked Chani as he chuckled some. "Netflix can only get you so far," Sungyeol said with a sigh. Myungsoo chuckled and checked his phone.

"We got company," Chani said suddenly as he looked up from his phone. "Mark, Taeyang, what brings you here?" He asked as said people walked up. "Wanted to come visit for a bit," said Taeyang as he shrugged. "I couldn't let him go alone, especially when we heard of the wolf pack near you," said Mark.

"We're only here for a few hours," said Taeyang. "Jisoo and Daniel wanted to come but they were called out to a mission so," he said, shrugging. Chani hummed in response as he stood, stretching. "Well, take a walk with me then?" He asked, hopping off the porch and taking a walk. Taeyang and Mark followed after him.

"So what's this about finding your mate in an animal-human?" Asked Mark as they walked around. "Well, that's what happened," said Chani. "But our relationship is a bit complicated," he said, sighing a bit. "Explain," said Taeyang. Chani tried to explain what happened.

"So he went back to his pack even though he knew they were going to punish/potentially kill him?" Asked Mark. "What the hell?" He asked. "Exactly what I said," Chani said sighing. "I'm sorry Chani but what the hell," said Taeyang. "I'm not interfering with anything unless they bring it to us," said Chani. "I guess at that point you'd have no choice but to help," said Taeyang. Chani nodded.