Chapter 4

A Vampire's Story

Chani turned to Sunggyu, grinning. "Hey bro," he said. Sunggyu shook his head in amusement as he smiled. "Hey Chani," he said. "Having fun?" He asked. Chani nodded, turning to the pup who had limped over, his tail wagging. "This is your pup I assume," said Sunggyu. "Yep," said Chani as he pet the wolf on the head. "Let's go inside," he said, heading inside with the wolf following after him. Sunggyu looked around the backyard for a few seconds before going inside.

"Enjoy the steaks?" Asked Chani as he spotted Cory and Jisung. "Yeah," said Cory. "I never knew how much different deer would taste after being drained of blood," he said. Jisung hummed in agreement.

"Ah!" He said, spotting the wolf. "Hey there," he said. The wolf tilted his head. "Oh, I'm still human," said Jisung as he chuckled some, scratching the back of his head. "One second," he said, standing and putting his plate on the table before dropping his illusion. Chani watched the interaction with a tilt of his head. Jisung walked up to the pup and Chani gave them some space, going to stand and watch a few feet away.

A small conversation consisting of growls came from them both, causing Chani to wish he could understand this a little. The others were curious, wanting to know who the pup's name was and where he came from. After a few minutes Jisung put up his human illusion, his expression troubled.

"What's up?" Asked Chani. "He was abandoned by his pack," said Jisung. "His name is Jaemin by the way," he added. A bunch of small growls chorused through the room from everyone.

"Wow," was the first word to come out from Chani as he stood still like a statue. "Who the hell did this?" He asked, turning to Jisung. "I don't know," said Jisung. "He wouldn't tell me," he said. "Jaemin buddy," said Chani as he walked over and knelt down in front of him, petting him. "You're safe here," he said. "He knows," said Jisung. "He already feels safer here than he did with his old pack," he said.

"Safer in a house full of vampires instead of being with his own pack? That really says something," said Sunggyu. "Is there any reason he's not showing his human form?" He asked. "His injury," said Jisung as he gestured to Jaemin's leg. "He'd have to walk with a crutch," he said. "Ah, yeah," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head. "I'm in no hurry to see your human form," he said, moving away and standing.

"Now that you mention," said Myungsoo as he tilted his head to the side. "I was out tracking a moose yesterday, ran into a wolf pack," he said. "A moose?" Asked Chani. "Is that why you split from us for a few minutes yesterday?" He asked. Myungsoo nodded. "I had to see and be sure the moose hadn't moved yet," he said.

"This might be Jaemin's pack," said Chani. "Didn't look like they were looking for him though, there was still some younger wolves in the pack," said Myungsoo. "Then they have more than just a missing wolf to deal with," said Sunggyu. "His pack is probably young," he said. "They wouldn't know what to do with an injured wolf," said Jisung. "Minho went through the same thing before Hyunjin and I found him," he said. "Hm," said Chani.

"Well," said Sungjong. "Because his pack left him he stays," he said. "I agree," said Sungyeol. Myungsoo nodded in agreement. "No one deserves to be abandoned when injured like that," he said. Chani smiled softly. "Thanks guys," he said. He looked down at Jaemin who was wagging his tail. "And Jaemin says thanks too," he said.

"I was starting to get used to having the pup around," said Sungyeol. "I can also see that you're genuinely happy with him," he said. Chani nodded.

"Well, I'm heading out," said Jaehwan. "Thanks for letting us stay, if we're not back by later tonight we've moved on," he said. "Have fun," Chani said to Zuho. Zuho chuckled. "Always," he said. After packing their things Jaehwan left with Zuho and his pack.

"I'm going to go track that moose again," said Myungsoo before he left to do so. Chani shook his head in amusement. "Taking your strategy eh?" Sunggyu asked with a chuckle. "Hyung," said Chani. "I'm sure human drinking vampires are the same way," he said. "The more careful ones," said Sungjong. "I do the same thing," said Sungyeol. "Exactly," Chani said with a chuckle.

"How long have you been clean?" He asked Sunggyu. "4 months now," said Sunggyu. "Nice," said Chani. "Myungsoo started after you did then," he said. "He's 3 months clean," he said. "Ah, cool," said Sunggyu.

They heard the cutest yawn come from Jaemin's direction and it took everything for Chani to not melt. "Come on now, you're making our leader melt from the cuteness overload," Sungyeol said with a dramatic sigh. Chani pouts before bending down and petting Jaemin. "Tired Jaemin?" He asked. Jaemin nodded and Chani laughs softly before standing. "Let's get you to bed then," Chani said, leading Jaemin to his room.

He came back after a few minutes, turning to Jisung. "Jisung, can we talk a bit?" He asked. "Change out of the orange shirt first?" Asked Jisung as he snickered. "Hey, at least it's not a flannel jacket," Chani said with a snicker. "Hey, that was comfortable!" Said Jisung as Chani went to change jackets, going with a dark jean jacket and putting it on. "Well, let's go then," he said. Jisung nodded and headed out with Chani.

"How's things since... You know," said Chani as he sat on the porch swing outside. "Ah, could be better," said Jisung as he sat beside Chani. "I'm okay surprisingly," he said. "I've had support from everyone," he said. "I wish I could've been there but," Chani said, sighing. "It's alright," said Jisung. "Sunggyu talked about how you wanted to join us a few times but," he said, shrugging. Chani hummed in response.

"Is Jaemin okay, really?" He asked. "Yes," said Jisung. "He's completely fine," he said. "He's thankful that you saved him, he had been stuck out there for a few hours prior to you finding him," he said. "Good," said Chani. "Thank you, for at least telling me his name," he said. "I didn't wanna keep calling him pup forever," he said, chuckling some. Jisung laughs. "Yeah, he didn't like it either," he said.