Chapter 3

A Vampire's Story

Chani and Zuho went after the herd again, Myungsoo and Sungyeol tagging along this time. Sungyeol wanted to see how long he could be clean this time before he went back to hunting humans. "There's 5 deer," said Chani. "One for each of us, and one for the pup," he said. "And the dogs," added Zuho. "And the dogs," said Chani. "One for each of us," he said. "Ready?" He asked. When the others nodded Chani motioned for everyone to surround the deer. "Go," he said, and everyone split off in different directions.

Everyone surrounded the herd, ready to pounce at Chani's command. "Now," called Chani as he rushed forward to tackle his deer and snap its neck before going after another one and snapping its neck before biting into it. The others got their share of deer, draining them quickly. Chani finished his fill of deer and took it back to the house with the others taking their deer back. Chani and Myungsoo took the spare deer back before Myungsoo took the deer to the designated spot to cut deer steaks. Jaehwan, Seongwoo and Jihoon came out to help cut the other deer steaks for themselves.

After checking on the pup Chani went to call Sunggyu, going to sit on the porch swing outside. "Hello?" Asked Sunggyu. "Hey Sunggyu," said Chani. "You guys heading up here?" He asked. "Ah, we are," said Sunggyu. "I'm driving at the moment, I mentioned to Cory that we were heading up to see you," he said. "Is Jisung there?" He asked. "Yes why?" Asked Sunggyu.

"Well, I think we have an animal-human here," said Chani. "Because I found my mate in him," he said. "Oh?" Asked Sunggyu. "Congrats but, there's consequences with that," he said. "I know," said Chani. "I'm prepared for it," he said. He heard Jisung say something in the background. "What was that?" He asked. "I'll talk to him," said Jisung as he got the phone. "We'll be there in a few hours," he said.

"Where are you now?" Asked Chani. "Just outside of Ithaca, Jisung wanted to see Wonpil," said Sunggyu as Chani heard him put the phone on something. "Ah, the wolf who was with your coven for a bit," said Chani. "Any progress on his memories?" He asked. "No," Jisung said, sighing. "Well, you're trying," said Chani as he shook his head. "I'll see you in a few hours then," he said. "See ya," said Sunggyu before he hung up.

Chani was left to stare up at the ceiling again, turning his head slightly when the door opened and he heard paw steps on the porch floorboards. "Thanks whoever that was," he called. He heard Sungjong say your welcome as he patted the spot on the swing next to him as he stopped the swing from swinging. He bent over and helped the pup up onto the swing and moved to one end to let him stretch out on the swing.

Chani felt the pup lay his head in his lap and looked down before petting him on the head. "Hey there buddy," he said. "I need help convincing Zuho to redye his hair," he said as he moved his legs lightly, making the swing start swinging again. "Good luck with that," said Zuho as he walked over, sitting on the other end of the porch swing.

"Come on dude," said Chani as he turned to Zuho. "I dyed my hair back to brown," he said. "Yes but you had a reason to," said Zuho. "What's next you're gonna dye your hair orange like I did?" Chani asked with a snort. "Hey, you never know," Zuho said with a chuckle. "That was a horrible color on me," Chani said, sighing a bit. "Red suits you but like," he said, waving his hands around. "Walking target," he said. Zuho chuckled some.

Chani leaned back on the swing, putting his hands behind his head. "I never noticed how peaceful it actually was," Zuho said suddenly. "Yeah," said Chani. "Why do you think I loved being in Washington?" He asked. "Couldn't make that a permanent home though," he said, sighing a bit. "Hey, Canada's nice, when it's not snowing," said Zuho. "I see you couldn't get rid of the orange forever," he said. Chani looked down at his orange turtleneck. "Yeah well," he said, shrugging. "It's comfortable," he said.

"Besides," he said, taking out a leather strap with a ring attached to it. "Daniel gave me this just before he left this place," he said. "Is that Rowoon's ring?" Asked Zuho. "Yeah," said Chani as he let the strap fall. "Just in case I do end up dead they know what to look for," he said.

"So I heard Sunggyu was on his way here," said Zuho. "Yeah he is," said Chani as he tilted his head slightly. "I talked to him earlier, they just left Ithaca," he said. "Your pup gets a friend for a couple days," said Zuho. Chani cracked a smile. "I guess," he said, looking at his phone when he got a text. "Oh good, they just reached Toronto," he said. "I finally get to learn your name pup," he said, petting the wolf on his head. "Another hour to get here," he said, putting his phone in his pocket before relaxing on the swing.

"Well, that certainly took a bit," said Jaehwan as he came over with a plate of meat for their resident pup. Chani helped the pup get down and watched him eat for a second before turning his attention to Jaehwan. "Enough food for you?" He asked, chuckling some. Jaehwan laughs. "Definitely, thanks," he said. "Good because we'll be getting company soon," said Chani.

"We'll finally get to learn the pup's name," he said. "He doesn't have to show his human form yet but," he said, shrugging. "Maybe being around another animal-human might encourage him a bit," he said. "Yeah," said Jaehwan. "I'll tell Seongwoo to make some extra plates of food then," he said, sighing before going inside.

Sunggyu arrived an hour later while Chani was in the backyard playing with the pup. Myungsoo had checked the injury to see how it was and it was doing better though Chani had to be careful with him still. "Ah," said Myungsoo. "Chani's outback, welcome back Sunggyu," he said. "Can get food if you want," he said to Cory and Jisung before letting them in. "Go get food then," Sunggyu said to Cory and Jisung. Cory and Jisung headed into the kitchen while Sunggyu headed outback.

"Chani," said Sunggyu as he spotted the two playing. Chani turned, only to be tackled by the wolf. "Oof!" He said, falling onto his back and laughing. "Hey hyung," said Chani as he was assaulted by . "Okay okay off pup," he said, laughing as he gently pushed the wolf off him before standing. Sunggyu watched with an amused expression as he put his hands in his pockets.