Chapter 10

A Vampire's Story

Chan, Woojin and Changbin stayed around for a few days for Jaemin, who after being asked wanted them to be around. It broke Chani when he learned just how broken Jaemin really was prior to rescuing him. The only reason he hadn't gone after Jeno and the rest of his pack was because Jaemin made him swear not to. Everyone could see how loyal Jaemin was to them, even after everything.

Chani was in Toronto today, doing some clothes shopping out of all things. He liked his jean jacket, but it was getting colder according to Chan so he needed to look for something more made for the winter. Sungyeol and Myungsoo were with him, Sungyeol having been the one to drive here after they had bought a jeep last week for transportation. They had to keep up appearances after all.

"Ah, I never liked shopping," said Chani as he shook his head. "Well, it's almost December, we need to prepare for the winter months," said Myungsoo. "Yeah well," mumbled Chani as he went into a store to look for clothes. Myungsoo and Sungyeol followed after him, also wanting to stock up on winter clothing for the winter to keep up appearances.

"Hey, text Sungjong to see if Chan and the others want food," Chani said suddenly once they were done shopping. "Ah," said Myungsoo as he went to do so. Sungyeol scratched the back of his head. "I almost forgot we had guests," he said. "Well, that and Jaemin's probably getting tired of venison," he said, chuckling some. Chani chuckled some and went to get food once Myungsoo got a text saying yes. Once they got food Sungyeol drove back after putting all the bags in the trunk and carefully balancing the food in the backseat with Chani making sure the food didn't fall over as he sat in the backseat.

Chan came outside with Woojin and Changbin to get the food after they reached the house. Chani opened the backdoor for them and they grabbed the food. Chani got out after all the food was out and went to grab his bags of clothes and bring them inside. Sungyeol and Myungsoo went to do the same, taking their clothes to their respective rooms.

"Ah, Chani," called Sungjong as Chani walked out of his room. "What's up?" Asked Chani as he spotted Jaemin sitting with Chan and the others and eating. "We might get a visitor? I don't know when he's going to be here but," said Sungjong as he shrugged. "Who is it?" Asked Chani. "Woohyun," said Sungjong.

"Ah, one half of the two cowards who decided to run?" Asked Chani. "Apparently he's still on the list of vampires to not hunt," said Sungjong. "Must've proven that he wasn't the one who decided it was okay to take Wonpil then," grumbled Chani. "Mm," said Sungjong.

"Wait, Woohyun's going to be here?" Asked Sungyeol as he came out of his room. "Heard from Dongwoo yet?" He asked. "No," said Sungjong. "Dongwoo's on the list," said Chan. "I imagine he's on the run," he said as he ate. Chani, Sungyeol and Sungjong turned to Chan. "I don't know who's assigned to hunt him down but," said Chan as he shrugged. "Got the full list of vampires?" Asked Chani. Chan tossed his phone at Chani. "Look for the email labeled list," he said. Chani went through Chan's phone.

"Ah, we're still on the "do not hunt" list," he said. "That's good," said Sungyeol as he looked over Chani's shoulder. "So is everyone else we know it looks like," said Chani as he handed Chan his phone.

"You know who's going to be mad when they find out you're here? Jisung," he said with a chuckle. Chan laughs. "Well," he said. "We were called here at the last minute," he said. "We'll be leaving soon enough," he said. "Got some mission details earlier so we'll be headed back to Europe," he said.

"You guys are leaving?" Asked Jaemin. "We'll be back later, if you want us to," said Chan. "You can trust these guys," he said, gesturing to Chani and the others. "They rescued you after all," he said. "I guess," said Jaemin.

"Ah wait," said Chani. "Isn't there an Italy run sometime soon?" He asked. Chan nodded. "In February," he said. "Good luck with that then," said Sungyeol. "Been a lot of rumors going around that the army they managed to put together might challenge even the most seasoned hunters," he said. "I know," said Chan. "They won't bring rookies the next run," he said.

After finishing their dinner Chan, Woojin and Changbin packed up their things before Myungsoo drove them to the airport. Chani went to sit outside on the porch swing, swinging slowly as he did so. Jaemin eventually came outside and went to sit down beside Chani, dropping his illusion and laying down on the bench.

"Hey pup," said Chani as he pet Jaemin. "Don't be offended by the name, you're now our youngest, and it's a nickname," he said. Jaemin snorts before nodding. Chani hummed to himself, slowly swinging his legs back and forth to get the swing to move.

They were there until midnight, when Jaemin started shaking from the cold. Chani shook his head and stood. "Come on then, let's get you inside," he said. Jaemin stretched and hopped down from the swing, putting up his human illusion and following Chani inside.

"Is the bed comfortable for you?" Asked Chani as he turned to Jaemin. "Yeah, it's better than sleeping on cold stone," said Jaemin. A growl erupted from Chani's chest as he clenched his hands into fists. "Sorry," he said when Jaemin whimpered some. "I'm not mad at you," he said. "I would in no way be that cruel to you, okay?" He asked, putting a hand on his shoulder. Jaemin nodded.

"Sorry," he mumbled. "It's not your fault," said Chani. "Don't ever think that, okay?" He asked. "Go to bed, I'm going on a late night hunt," he said. Jaemin nodded and headed into Chani's room.

"Who's going hunting with me?" Chani called. Myungsoo and Sungyeol came out of their rooms, nodding. "Sungjong can you keep an eye on Jaemin?" Called Chani. "Sure," came Sungjong's voice. Chani left with Myungsoo and Sungyeol.

"Gives us more a reason to go after them," Sungyeol said suddenly as they came to a stop near a herd of deer. "Yes but Jaemin made us swear not to go after them," said Chani as he sighed. "Yeah well," grumbled Myungsoo. "I'm tempted to break that promise," he spat. "You're not the only one," said Chani. "Circle around, we need to make this quick," he said.

Sungyeol and Myungsoo split off in different directions and as soon as Chani saw them he attacked the herd. Sungyeol and Myungsoo got their kills and Chani got his, dropping the deer after he was done. "Take one back for our guest, and let's bury the others," he said. Sungyeol and Myungsoo nod and help Chani dig a hole. Once the deer were buried Myungsoo helped Chani drag the extra deer back to the house.

"Ah, the coward shows up then," said Chani when he spotted Woohyun standing on the porch. "I didn't even know what this list even was until later," said Woohyun. "Come on in then," said Chani. "I'll get to cutting the steaks," said Myungsoo as he went to do so. Chani went inside with Sungyeol and Woohyun, going to change clothes.