Chapter 12

A Vampire's Story

"Hyung!" Came Chani's 10 year old voice as he ran up to Sunggyu, slightly out of breath. "What is it?" Asked Sunggyu as he turned to Chani. "Can I tell you a secret?" Asked Chani. "Don't tell anyone or the other boys will beat me up," he said. "Ah?" Asked Sunggyu as he tilted his head to the side. "Who's been beating you up kid?" He asked, leaning down in front of Chani. "MJ and his friends," said Chani as he looked down. "They say I always smell funny," he said. A look of anger crossed Sunggyu's face before he shook his head. "Ignore them okay?" He asked. "Now what was this secret you wanted to tell me about?" He asked.

"Well," mumbled Chani as he looked down. "I like boys," he blurted out. Sunggyu tilted his head to the side. "You like boys?" He asked. "I like boys... Like boys are supposed to like girls," said Chani. Sunggyu blinked. "Okay," he said after a few minutes. Chani looked up at Sunggyu, tears in his eyes.

"Look kiddo," said Sunggyu as he hugged Chani. "Nothing is wrong with that okay?" He asked. "Now, go help Hoya with collecting the strawberries so I can make some delicious dessert later tonight," he said. "Do you want that?" He asked, pulling away. Chani nodded, wiping the tears away as he sniffled slightly. "Good, maybe invite Moonbin too, he should be with Hoya," said Sunggyu as he smiled. Chani grinned before running off to find Hoya.

 

~



Chani was on the porch swing again, laying down on it as he looked up at the ceiling. Things were mellow now since he came out to Jaemin saying that he was gay. Jaemin needed time to accept that and Chani was willing to give it to him. For now he waited for the backlash he was probably going to get from Sunggyu, who was probably already contacted by Woohyun because of his judgement.

"I'm going to Toronto," said Sungjong as he came outside. "Okay," said Chani as he looked in Sungjong's direction. "You okay?" Asked Sungjong as he looked at Chani. "Fine," said Chani as he sat up. "Go enjoy your hunt," he said. "Bring back food for Jaemin," he added. "Sure," said Sungjong before he left in the jeep.

Chani sighed as he laid back down and stared up at the ceiling. He was expecting a call anytime soon now, but he wasn't sure what Sunggyu's reaction would be. He hummed to himself as he turned to where he was facing the back of the swing, ignoring everything happening around him as he heard it start to rain.

He heard the door open and someone step out onto the porch. "That can't be comfortable whatsoever," came Myungsoo's voice. Chani grunted in response. "Hyung," he said suddenly, sitting up. "Did I do the right thing?" He asked. Myungsoo tilted his head to the side. "What do you mean?" He asked. "Did I do the right thing with Woohyun?" He asked.

"Here's my take on it," said Myungsoo as he sat down beside Chani. "If you didn't kick him out who knows what would've happened," he said. "We let him in on the pretense that he wouldn't cause a scene," he said. "We should've listened to you better so it's really our fault," he said. "Honestly I thought he'd've let go of something like that by now, I mean it's been like 200 years," he said, sighing. Chani hummed in response as he leaned his head back to look up at the ceiling.

"I'd think that even with Sunggyu fighting for you to stay, you left because you didn't want to cause a rift? What did you mean by that?" Asked Myungsoo. "Well," said Chani as he turned his head to look at Myungsoo. "It's because I didn't want everyone to choose me over Woohyun," he said. "I didn't want everyone divided between me and him, since Hoya was more on his side and you and Dongwoo were on Sunggyu's side," he said.

 

~



"He's already got the damn foxes keeping an eye on us!" Said Woohyun. "They kept their word, they wouldn't bother us unless we forced them too," said Sunggyu. "Kick the damn kid out already! He's been turned, he's legal, he can do whatever the hell he wants," spat Woohyun. "Make your choice then," said Sunggyu. "Because I'm not going to abandon family," he spat.

Chani was quiet as he listened to the argument going on. He knew better than to split his brother's coven like this. He didn't want to split them apart because of him. He had been the sole reason this argument had started in the first place after word got around to the others about his preferences when it came to finding a potential wife.

It got to the point where Dongwoo and Chani were divided between Sunggyu and Woohyun, with Hoya going to Woohyun and Myungsoo going to Sunggyu. "I hate to do this," said Dongwoo. "But honestly, he's just a kid," he said. "We kick him out and he has nowhere to go," he said, going to Sunggyu.

"Well," said Chani as he scratched the back of his head. "I suppose it is my choice," he said. "I'm not dividing this coven up because of me," he said. "So I'm leaving," he said. "Not because of Woohyun, he's been great, like the rest of you, but I don't want everyone split between Sunggyu and Woohyun because of me," he said. "I'll be out of your hair tomorrow then," he said, his voice breaking slightly at the end before he cleared his throat and went to pack.

 

~



"You guys did great without me anyway," said Chani as he shrugged. "Even after Hoya died and Woohyun ran," he said. "I understand Dongwoo's decision though, he had been found out," he said. "Yeah," said Myungsoo as he sighed. "I just wish things were easier on you," he said.

"It's never easy," said Chani. "Not for me or anyone else for that matter," he said. "Its why I gained the respect of many vampires, I lived a life being judged and bullied for liking boys, even as it became more mainstream later down the line," he said, shrugging. "Most were fine with it, but I always left if things went bad," he said. "Mm," said Myungsoo.