Chapter 1

A Vampire's Story

Chani sat on the porch swing of the log cabin that Daniel had bought for him and the rest of his coven, listening to the sounds around them. It was about an hour's drive outside of Toronto, surrounded by forest. They really didn't need much, just electricity and water. It had a kitchen for when they had guests but other than that it was quiet and perfect for them.

"Man," said Myungsoo as he came outside with a book and sat down beside Chani. "It's been awfully quiet since Sungjong and Sungyeol left to get their hunts in," he said. "Mm," said Chani. "I'm surprised you didn't go with them," he said. Myungsoo chuckled some. "Nah," he said. "I've gone 3 months clean, I think I can manage," he said. Chani cracked a smile as he leaned his head back, looking up at the ceiling.

"Do you think we'll get a visit from Sunggyu?" Asked Myungsoo as he read his book. "Yeah," said Chani. "I wanted to see how Jisung was doing," he said. "Ah yeah, the kid's been through a lot," said Myungsoo. "Hope he'll be okay, even Sunggyu was worried for him and that's saying something," he said. "I think it more has to do with the fact that Jisung is Cory's wolf," said Chani. "Cory and Jisung need to be near each other sometimes," he said. "I see," said Myungsoo.

"They have become close don't get me wrong," said Chani. "But from what I know already, Cory's already found both his mates so," he said, shrugging. "There's nothing romantic going on there," he said. "I figured," said Myungsoo as he turned a page.

Chani hummed as he got a text message, checking it to see what he was being messaged about. "Ah," he said. "We're getting visitors," he said. "Who is it?" Asked Myungsoo. "Zuho, Jaehwan and his pack," said Chani. "A pack of dogs?" Asked Myungsoo. Chani nodded. "Only for a couple days," he said. "They got a mission in Toronto," he said. "Not one of our own I hope," said Myungsoo. "I wouldn't be saying they were coming if that was the case," said Chani as he deadpanned. "Yeah, you got a point," said Myungsoo as he shook his head. 

"Well," said Chani as he got up. "I'm going hunting, do you want to join me or?" He asked. "Nah, I'll wait here for the others," said Myungsoo. "Let me know if something goes wrong," he said. "Sure," said Chani before he got up and sped off, going deeper into the forest to hunt.

Chani was in full hunting mode as he quickly and quietly ran through the forest to find a herd of deer he had been tracking for a full week now. He really had nothing to do so when he wasn't at the house staring off into space he was tracking this specific herd of deer, leading them on a wild goose chase as he did so.

What Chani wasn't expecting to find however, was a wolf pup, no older than a year or two old, caught in a trap. He stopped dead in his tracks as the scent of blood filled his nose and the sound of whimpering reaching his ears. He looked down, his head tilting to the side. "Ah," he said, awkwardly. "What to do with you," he said, being careful when kneeling next to the wolf. "Hey there," he said in a calm voice. "I'm going to get you out okay?" He asked. He called Myungsoo, asking him to follow after his scent to help him with something.

Myungsoo appeared a few minutes later, bringing a first aid kit. "What the hell did you get yourself into now?" He asked, spotting the wolf. "Ah, poor thing," he said. "Did you even hunt?" He asked, turning to Chani. "No, I was going after a herd of deer I had been tracking for the passed week," said Chani. "Man you're persistent when it comes to those things," said Myungsoo. "I'll take care of the pup, you go hunt," he said. "Are you gonna kill it?" Asked Chani. "No," said Myungsoo. "Go after that herd you were talking about," he said. "Okay," said Chani before he sped off.

Myungsoo pried open the trap with a stick, keeping a safe distance away to make sure the wolf didn't snap at him. "I'm going to take care of your leg alright?" He asked, taking out some bandages and rubbing alcohol. "This is going to burn pup," he said, cleaning the wound, gently hushing the pup when it started to whimper.

"You're one of those animal-humans aren't you?" He asked suddenly. "Why are you out here?" He wondered as he set the bone before stitching up the wound. He put a temporary splint on the leg before picking up the pup and bringing him home, making sure to text Chani to tell him that he was bringing the wolf home.

Chani got the text, nodding before putting his phone in his pocket. He looked around, spotting the herd just ahead of him. He tackled the first buck he came upon, quickly snapping the neck. He quickly went after the entire herd, killing them and then draining them quickly, wanting to get back to the house quickly. Once he buried all the deer except one buck he could drag back to the house he dragged the deer back to the house.

Myungsoo came outside when he heard Chani come up to the house. "What the hell Chani?" He asked. "For the pup," said Chani. "You were a deer hunter right?" He asked. "Do you remember how to get the deer cuts?" He asked. "Of course," said Myungsoo as he scratched the back of his head. "I'll get to it then, the pup's inside resting," he said. Chani nodded and went inside and Myungsoo went to cut the deer steaks.

"Chani what the hell?" Asked Sungyeol as he returned from Toronto with Sungjong. "Something told me to save the pup alright?" Asked Chani. "All this hunting is getting to your head," said Sungjong. "For the record I spent the last week tracking a herd of deer," said Chani. "So I wasn't hunting the entire week," he said.

"Wait," Sungyeol said suddenly. "Did you find your mate in that wolf?" He asked. "I've never seen you so concerned for an animal," he said. "I guess," said Chani. "He must be one of those animal-humans," he said. "I'm sure he'll show his human form to us one of these days," he said.

"Chani," said Sungjong. "You realize the pup might have a pack right?" He asked. "I'm prepared for the consequences," said Chani. "Fair enough," said Myungsoo as he walked over. "Our leader's found his mate, let's respect that," he said. "Alright," Sungyeol said with a sigh. Sungjong nodded. "Where is he sleeping?" He asked. "My room," said Chani. "Fair enough," said Myungsoo. Sungjong and Sungyeol nodded in agreement.