Xenos

Mafia's Mask

I went back to my seat defeated with a lot of compelling feelings. I don’t know what to say. I can’t still accept that I am Zena – and now here they are presenting me another set of completely different versions of me. I am so tired, even in my dreams I never imagined myself being a psychopath.

I heard the next person outside the door murmuring something before he can even enter the door. I tried to listen to him closely so I walked towards the door and pressed my ears against its wooden surface – and caught his words like he was rehearsing on how he will greet me. What a peculiar guy. I went back to my seat quickly as soon as I heard him move closer to the entrance.

Shortly, he knocked and entered with a huge grin on his face. He was almost of the same height as Minwoo. His black puppy hair complimented his handsome looks of an actor. He has a very friendly aura and his pearly white teeth just kept on flashing good vibes as he tried not to burst with laughter.  His charismatic eyes had that claw like wrinkles on its side and it made his features more delightful. He was wearing his white long sleeves with its cuffs slightly folded on both sides, he kept it untucked and partnered with black jeans.

He greeted me while he was still standing and said out loud;

“Hello, I am Dane. You may want to call me Dongwan though. But I like it best if you will call me Oppayam! HAHAHA!”

I shook his hand and he held mine extra tight. His palm was so warm and I’ve felt an acquainted emotion towards him.

“Hi – I..” I was about to say something when he suddenly interrupted me.

“Don’t worry. Base from what I know I am the last one. Now, where should we start?” He said with a changed expression on his face. I find it helpful that he cut me off.

“In that case, can you tell me who I am and how did we meet?” I started assertively. I just want everything to end already. This is tiring.

“You are Xenos. You’re a complete stranger to me when I met you. I was on my annual vacation as a photographer and I decided to climb one of my dream mountains. On my way down, I decided to stay on a pension house since it is already getting dark; little did I know that we will cross our paths. We walked the same door at the same time and in complete sync asked for an available room. It turned out that there are no vacant rooms instead for one with a double-deck. Having no choice after a very laborious day - we coolly agreed to share it with each other.” He ended his quick story with a satisfied tone of voice.

I can’t figure him out. I stared at him and he just looked back at me with an amused expression on his face.

“So, can you tell me the last time that we saw each other?” I hope he does not give me another lose end just like the first five.

“Well you were silent when we entered our room. You never opened up about everything even when I tried my best to be friendly towards you. You treated me like a complete foreigner until I woke you up from a nightmare. When you opened your eyes you started crying and I hugged you. I even made you a hot choco to calm you down. I don’t know why you were so afraid you were trembling.” He recalled with an inquisitive expression on his face.

“You and I planned to watch the sunrise. I suggested it to you and you agreed to meet me at the entrance of the village near the mountain. I prepared something to give you when we meet, you know to commemorate our time together – ” He continued without pause.

“And I did not come.” I can’t help but predict what will happen next. This is exactly how it happened to the rest of them. It’s always a broken promise. And as much as I loathed broken promises it seems like it’s already a cliché.

“No – you did arrive. But I was late. You left even before I can meet you. You left a note and a small box with a note on it. Saying – I ate yours since you are late that’s your punishment. When we see each other again I need to have my candy back.” And then he pulled something outside his pocket and showed it to me. It was a chewable orange jelly candy covered with sugar. He reached for my hand and put it on my open palm.

I looked at it closely and I recognized it right away. I have lots of these at home that is why I have always brought one wherever I go. It’s tasteful too that is why I always munch on it whenever bored or half-way hungry. I just ran out of it when I went here and seeing it now made me salivate. I opened it right away and ate it. It was indeed my favorite.

“It was a good thing that I didn’t eat it. I think you’ll kill me if I ever did try to consume it. HAHAH!” he laughed as he watched me swallow it.

“Hey I need to go. Make sure to take care of yourself okay?” And he stood from his chair and cupped my face in the middle of his hands.

 He had that concerned hint on his voice. His eyes gleamed with worry for the first time. He stepped a little closer and whispered:

“Bear with it a little. Don’t trust anyone.” Dongwan winked at me and finally left the room planting a doubt inside my chest.