Gluttony

Mafia's Mask

I waved at Hyesung as I went out of the room after I finished my coffee. I was trapped with a lot of questions inside my head.

I followed the maids as the led me to an elevator. I can’t believe I didn’t see this the first time I’ve been here. It was on the furthest right corner of the mansion. I went inside and they assisted me to go to the third floor. The moment that realized it, there were no stairs available for us to go on the third level. If my memory serves me right, there’s still a fourth floor for this mansion. How come that the last staircase that I saw was just up to the second level?

The trip did not take long. The glass door opened to reveal the Mansion’s Ballroom. It was an extravagant hall with shiny marble tiles reflecting the huge chandeliers at the top of my head. The ceiling were so high and the curtains were also extra huge to cover the long windows that of a fairytale.

There was a golden round table in the middle of the dance floor together with couch like single chairs covered with maroon velvet fabric. There I saw Minwoo stood up and greeted me with a heart sign above his head while wearing a knitted grey pull over with an orange  v-neck cut .

“Welcome my princess.” He ran to my direction right away to offer his arm and usher me to the table where he was.

“Be careful it’s a little bit slippery.” He whispered.

I just nodded my head and followed his lead. I can see him on my peripheral vision taking short glances towards me from time to time. He was like a child. He pulled the chair for me and I sat down comfortably.

“How’s your day?” He asked in a manly manner.

“It’s kind of tiring but I’m fine. Thank you for asking.” I just can’t help but me honest about it.

“Well, I am glad that here you can rest a bit. This place I usually the loudest of all since parties are normally held here. Now that we just got this space for the two of us – you may relax.” He stood up and went to my chair. He flipped a gear under my chair and it reclined to its most cozy form.

“I have asked them to prepare desserts for us but according to one of the maids earlier – they might serve it a little bit late. You may take a nap and I will just wake you up. I am already starving but you can have this for now.” Minwoo explained and gave me a mini giveaway. It was my favorite orange jelly candy. I can’t expect anything less than this.

“Will it be really okay for me to take a nap?” I asked him right away after finishing his treat.

“Yes of course. It will be completely pointless for us to talk with an empty stomach. My brain may malfunction too HAHA! You know – I might not make sense at all.” He answered me with an assuring smile.

“Go and sleep now my Rana, my princess. I shall wake you up when our food is ready. I will just go near the elevator and wait there. HAHA!” He said with a laugh.

I heard his footsteps echoed away from me as I closed my eyes. He was a man of his words. Maybe he knows that I will feel uncomfortable too.

I closed my eyes to let my consciousness slide to dreamland but I was wrong again. In the pitch black carpet memories got unfolded once more.

Minwoo’s pictures were stuck on the wall of what looked like an apartment. He was the Sin of Gluttony. He was known for eating as much as he wants to the point of stealing food if situations will arise. This is also the main reason how he earned his nickname Minbong. He was always seen active and so into exercising but the reality was – he’s doing it so that he can eat more. Among all the other sins, he is the most agile.

He resorted on being a dance instructor while hiding so he can still have a reasonable way to burn unwanted body fats and ravage on food as much as he wanted. He’s expertise falls on poisons. He is just a heavy eater but the food that he makes are those of that can cause instant kill for his subjects.

A tearful memory appeared again when we met each other in the hospital. It was the time when he injured his knee. He stumbled when he tried to get out of his bed on his own but when I ran to him to help him stand up, he squeezed my hand and I was comforted. I can’t analyze my dysfunctional emotion.

I felt a warm tear slowly escaping from eyes and I woke up. I flinched at the thought that I was really dreaming but I was not. Those were true memories. I looked for Minwoo right away only to find him seating on the table with empty plates and muffin wrappers spread all over the place.

With his mouth still full with desserts – he quickly grabbed the nearest fruit shake and eased his throat.

“Rana! Are you okay? Did you have a bad dream?” He asked right away.

“Nope. I – my senses just snapped back. Don’t worry.” I lied.

“I’m sorry I already started to eat.” He sounded guilty.

“It’s totally okay. I am still full.” I guaranteed him.

He wiped his mouth with a napkin and halted right away. We started our catch-up with his activities when he recovered. I felt glad he didn’t suffer for a long time. He was such a happy soul but his serious face in the hospital while bed ridden was really different.

“Please accept this as a symbol of my gratitude and proposal.” He stood from his seat and offered a ring in front of me while on his knee.

He saw that I can’t weave my words right away. My eyes were in shock and all I can do is stare back at his sincerity.

Minwoo held my hand and put the ring on my palm.

“Hey, I’m not forcing you. The decision is yours to make and all I can do is wait.” He said and gave me a flying kiss as he went back to his seat.