Irene

Mafia's Mask

He let go of my hand shortly when we both hear the knock on the door. Time’s up. He left the room silently and here I am trapped on those haunting emotions that he left me. I can’t let this affect my perspective. I should keep in mind that one of them is a murderer – the person who killed the man who’s supposedly my birth father.

The next stranger’s turn came. I heard the door knob twisted and after opening it lightly, he closed it again and did that forgotten knock. I was weirded out at first. Maybe he’s nervous as I am. I tried to understand where he is coming from.

It was to my surprise when I saw a man who’s facial features are so sharp and well sculpted like that of a statue. The person with an exotic charisma walked in with his head down half-way towards me. When he finally directed his head to me, it became obvious how his side swept brush up hair made him look so neat and manly. He looked down again as he approached me while rubbing his cringed perfect nose bridge. Like the rest of them, he was wearing a white long sleeve with black cuffs. He walked tall with a nice slacks partnered with trendy running shoes.

The third man was excruciatingly fine-looking as sat in front of me silently and for a moment, had the courage to finally look at me with his blank eyes.

“Hi – ” unlike the first two, I had the urge to break our silence just to ease our tension.

“Hello, I’m sorry. I’m Eric.” He apologized the first time he greeted me.

“Why are you saying sorry?” I can’t help but ask him.

“I didn’t get enough sleep so I think I am not at my best state to recall things. I am apologizing in advance.” He continued straightforwardly.

I shook his extended hand and I can tell that he’s such a shy nobleman.

“Don’t worry, I will not ask you too many questions Eric. I just need to know who I am to you and how did we meet” I smiled at him and waited for his answer.

He stared emptily in the air for a while as he collected his thoughts about what to say.

“You are Irene; our construction company’s most brilliant intern that I ever worked with. You were so reliable that sometimes we don’t even need to give you instructions since you are always great in what you do. Before I only heard about you, even as your superior I didn’t had the chance to personally meet you because of my busy schedule until that day.” He stopped all of a sudden and looked at me intensely as he let out a sigh.

“That day?” I probed.

“We visited one of our sites. You were still on your way when a portion of the foundation collapsed. I was accidentally caught on it. Base from what I know it was you who called the ambulance and accompanied me to the hospital. You even donated blood that time so I can get saved, that is why I owe you my life.” He smiled for the first time to me and it made me feel a sudden jolt inside my stomach. That sensation reached my heart and made it skip a beat as I try to look away from him.

Eric flashed a smile as soon as he saw me got distracted. That gave a fatal move made me feel like I was blushing in front of him so I grabbed the remaining water on my glass and take a quick sip.

“Can you tell me when was the last time that we saw each other?” I asked him while looking on the glass that I am holding. I am so embarrassed.

“Irene, I don’t know how to say this but – you ditched me one night. After I get discharged from the hospital, my fondness for you grew. It was the same time when we frequently had lunch together and later on we grab dinner during overtime. We were supposed to watch a movie and I even wrapped something for you to surprise you but you never came. I waited for you outside the cinema house until the mall closed but I was never able to see even your shadow.” Eric narrated.

I cannot believe that actually happened. His sincerity wasn’t returned and it made me feel so annoyed about that Irene.

My emotions are getting the best of me when his hand reached to pat my head. It was like he was trying to calm me down and comforting me like a pet.

“Hey, don’t take it too hard on yourself. I don’t keep grudges. I am happier that I saw you today and finally I can do this again to comfort you. You did a great job. I am glad that you survived that accident too. It could have been nicer if I was there to take care of you just like what you did for me.” Eric’s stance stunned me.

Tears were welling on the edge of his eyes but he’s not letting them escape. He’s holding them in and he’s so good at it. He’s smiling and letting out a sigh of relief.

My heart fluttered.