Rana

Mafia's Mask

A knock on the door stopped our conversation. The soldier’s time was over and it saved my fragile heart. He stood up right away and waved goodbye at me. It was just as expected that level of discipline.

One of the maids enters the room and asked me if I would like something to drink. I asked her for a glass of water instead. I won’t deny that it got my energy drained.

The water was served right away. I was able to replenish my throat and it was a good idea since I am worried that I might sound like a frog after what happened.

Before even hearing a knock on the door, I heard a humming voice outside. The knock playfully followed along with the rhythm of the hymn in a beat.

The man took off his fedora hat to expose his bronzed textured quaff hair as he entered. He was wearing a white long sleeve pulled up to his elbow complimented with fitted leather pants. Junjin was taller than him but he has a very unique fashion sense to take it to his advantage. The gorgeous man looked taller even with his box type body. He has that very sharp jaw line that compliments his cool aura.

His shrimp eyes extended his happiness to his lips. He was just so happy that he rushed towards me right away to give me a hug. It was too tight I thought my ribs would collide in a disaster.

“It was nice to see you again.” He exclaimed with his homey voice.

“Oh hi there.” – Again I tried not to be surprised. These men knew me as a different person. They have seen me and interacted with me and I am not sure how I treated them. I should always think that way.

He then sat on the chair opposite to mine and pulls it closer to the table. I was distracted by the way he focused his attention towards me. He looked like a puppy waiting for treats.

“They told me you got into an accident and you – ” he’s just basically going to say what Junjin said.

“Yes, I’m sorry I would need you to introduce yourself.” I interrupted politely and I was surprised how he casually accepted my response. He just let out a beam and exposed his pink gums together with the set of his finely aligned teeth.

“Minwoo my princess, that’s my name.” He then stood up and like a gentleman, shook my hand.

“I am sorry I got carried away a while ago. It might have made you feel uncomfortable. I hope you understand. I just missed you so much.” He tried to explain his side.

It’s understandable. We might have had a very close relationship before.

“May I ask you a few questions if it’s okay? I just need to know some things.” I tried to get back on track. I can’t believe the second person will be this striking as well.

I took a deep breath and asked, “Can you tell me who I am and how did we meet?”

His expression was rather dreamy than melancholic. I can expect a happy story from him.

“You are Rana. You were my therapist for about a week. I was dance instructor and I accidentally injured my knee while practicing for a new routine. I think it was the time of my life that I was so afraid that I would need to give up the thing that is most important to me and you were there. You were like a ray of light.” He paused and drew his hand to point out the window where the sunlight was illuminated through the glass.

“You were very patient and encouraging. I was really stubborn and grumpy most of the time but you never gave up on me; that is why I am so thankful towards you my princess. I was so worried when they told me about your accident.” Minwoo explained in a serious manner. He sounded relieved more than worried. I think that is because he was finally able to confirm that I was okay and I appreciate that.

“Minwoo, can you tell me when was the last time that we saw each other?” I asked.

“The last time I saw you were when I took my last therapy session and we had dinner with each other. You also told me that it was also your last day in the clinic and that you will be going back to your studies. I asked you if I can visit you and you said yes but I never heard anything from you. I was meant to give you something that night but you left in a rush after receiving a phone call.” He let out a sigh by the end of his sentence and tried to get back with his mood by tracing the ornamental patterns on the table cloth before us.

I don’t know what to say. I don’t even know how I will comfort him with this kind of separation that happened abruptly.

He then held my hand and squeezed it tightly.

“Don’t worry; I know you had a reason back then. I’m good at waiting and I know that you are aware of that.” His words were so warm it struck my heart.

How can he even say that after what happened?