Fake

Mafia's Mask

My long day ended with a desiring outcome. I can finally have a sigh of relief after sealing a deal with our biggest client for this year. I am indeed thankful for everything that happened today since I’ve been so stressed out with all the preparations regarding this business proposal.

The journey to go to this place is no joke. The accommodation is really expensive to the point that I am the only representative that was sent by my company. I’m the lone wolf and now I will be returning victoriously. I wonder if my life will ever be the same.

I sipped the last drop of my tea as I got up from my seat to go to my hotel room. I need to fix my stuff as soon as possible. I don’t want to chase with my time tomorrow. I am still wondering if I would need to bring my officemates some souvenirs. Would this act of kindness bring me closer to them? They seem to be pretty distant towards me as I am a new joiner and also their freshly appointed manager.

This trip might also be a test that has something to do with proving myself to the rest of the club. Being despised just because of their judgmental assumptions is not something that I patronize. If the weather will be great, I might change my mind and grab some sweet delicacies for them. For now, all I need is a refreshing shower and a quality rest.

I entered my room to spend my last night appreciating my refreshing stay here as a tourist. My organizers are impressively effective on keeping my things uncluttered that is why I had a shorter time preparing for my departure. As soon as I laid my head on my pillow – I fell on a deep dreamless sleep.

A loud crackling noise woke me up in the morning, the angry thunder almost made the glass of my windows tremble. I stood up to check the situation outside and its total zero visibility. I opened the television and checked the weather and it seems that the nonstop drizzle last night evolved into a typhoon. Quickly, I grabbed my phone to call the airport and as I guessed, my flight was cancelled. They told me that they will get back to me for further announcements.

Looks like I would need to wait until tomorrow for things to settle down. I have tried to call my office to explain the matters and I advised them about the sudden change of schedule. They told me to take my time and just consider this as a mini-vacation.

They seemed to be worried about me. It might be because of that car accident that I had three months ago before I got hired to their company. I sat there motionless for a while, undecided what to do next since I am all set to leave. I’d probably just right this down on my diary. The reality was, I have noticed that I am having significant memory lapses recently and I cannot tolerate it. Especially with my job that requires a lot of details and a constant space for change.

After writing down everything that happened yesterday – binge watch the anime episodes that piled up while I was busy with this project. This will be the best recreational activity on a rainy day. YEEES!

I didn’t notice that time flew quickly until a gentle knock on my door caught my attention. It was the hotel sending a complimentary lunch for my extended stay. I received the food with my warm regards to the young man who delivered it to my room.

As I opened the steel lid, the aroma of the steak invaded my senses; I just realized I didn’t eat breakfast. My hands started to shake as I reached for the utensils. It was really a good thing that they offer services like this. I started my first bite with a delicious slice of the tender meat.

I was halfway finishing my meal when my phone rang, it was the airport. They just informed me that the flights got resumed and that I will be scheduled as soon as I get to the airport. This is such a great news! Opening the curtains of my dark room – I just discovered that the sun is already up again, gone are the gloomy clouds and its pouring tears. Finally, I can go home!

Preparing just took me less than an hour since all I needed to do is take a quick shower and change my clothes. I didn’t bother to doll up anymore since I will be going back to sleep again while travelling. Going to the airport was made easier with the hotel’s free shuttle service. Everything’s running smoothly until I reached the airline desk.

The lady behind the glass window looked at my passport suspiciously. She made a few calls on her desk phone with a lowered voice that I can barely hear. That was the time when I decided to ask –

“Excuse me, is there something wrong? Can I help you with anything?” I tried to ask politely.

“Miss Shiloh Curtis, I apologize for the inconvenience but we are having a hard time verifying your passport details. It seems that your documents are fake and because of this we would need to you to our investigation room.” She explained with a worried voice.

Strange as it was, I tried my best to stay calm and composed. More than anyone else, I should be confident about myself. I have all my valid IDs with me. I took a deep breath and smiled.

“Alright, no worries.” I responded with a short smile.