Pauline

Mafia's Mask

Wearing the only clean clothes that were left on my luggage, my oversized shirt was partnered with casual jeans and sneakers. I am wondering how I will survive with two sets of pajamas left. The best thing here is; the maids offered to do my laundry. I can finally breathe.

The meeting room was at the second floor of the house. Just like yesterday, the maids never left my side. I am wondering if they are capable of doing self-defense too or anything close to that. Base from what I can understand from the situation, this organization is shaded with an assassinating element. I better be nice and careful.

They opened the door for me and the interior looked more like a sophisticate classical bistro, only that there’s just one shiny porcelain table in the middle and two opposite chairs with golden linings facing each other for a one on one talk. The huge arched windows stretching from the middle of the walls up to almost its ceilings gave a very nice view of the horizon since it’s the directly situated on the farthest corner of the house.

The glass windows are slightly opened for the breeze to naturally deliver its fresh air. I sat down to settle myself. While I was appreciating the view, there was a soft knock on the door and the first man entered.

His thick eyebrows rose with joy as soon as his gaze caught mine. I don’t really know how to react towards his eagerness. The perfection of his looks was complimented with his dark brown side pated pompadour hairstyle. He’s manly hands let go off the doorknob to wave at me and I tried so hard to give him a response by waving back. My limbs felt like overcooked noodles all of a sudden.

The white long sleeves that he was wearing had its first button undone. His well-toned body made it look  so attractive on him.  I don’t know if it was the temperature but he seems to be more anxious than I am. He pulled out his handkerchief to wipe his face first. Since his hair was styled to expose his forehead it gave emphasis on his beautiful lines. He flashed a smile at me like a child.

The tall gentleman approached with a manly stance, his long legs wrapped with ripped jeans. He sat before me with a spark of excitement in his eyes. I don’t know how to start but I need to extract information as soon as I can.

“Good morning.” I started cheerfully. This phrase – the most awkward greeting that I can ever think of spilled out of my mouth and ruin the beginning.

“I know, you lost your memory. You don’t know me and I am summoned here to help you.” He volunteered to rescue me. I was glad and touched to be honest. He is so sensitive.

I let out a desperate sigh and try to recall the three questions that I came up with last night.

“Can you introduce me yourself first so I can address you properly?” I think this is the best way to start this.

“I’m Junjin.” He answered with a pleasant tone and extended his right hand towards me to shake mine for formal introduction.

He didn’t even think twice. He said it casually like I will remember him right away if he did so but I did not. I wasn’t able to recall even just a little hint about him. I am completely clueless.

“Oh, Junjin. I’m sorry I would need to ask you more questions. I really had a bad accident and it makes me sad that I can’t remember you. Can you tell me who I am and how did we meet?” I followed up. Based from my conversation yesterday with that unicorn guy, I introduced myself differently to all of them. Perhaps I will know if someone can tell me that I told them I am Shiloh right?

“Pauline – that’s your name. I am a soldier and I got assigned to the place where you spent your vacation. You were one of the civilians that I came back for. There was a surprise gun strike between the rebels and the authorities of that town and I belonged to that rescue team.” The smile on his face faded as he started telling the story.

“The tourist spot that you visited became the center of the chaos. You tried to run for your life and sprained your ankle so I carried you to safety. It was a good thing that you just suffered a minimum casualty. I won’t forgive myself if something bad happened to you. That’s how we knew each other.” After reminiscing and having a nice ending, Junjin’s back with a jolly mood.

I can’t believe I’ve been through that but as a soldier; his body structure is there to justify his profession. His physique was impeccably fit to stand against those events and even his words were very concise and straight to the point. I remember how his warm hands felt. His grip resonated a strong sense of responsibility as a public servant.

“Can you tell me when was the last time that we saw each other?” I tried to ask right away. I might get distracted by trying to over analyze his personality.

“The last time that I saw you was when I visited your hotel. I intended to know if you have recovered. I even prepared flowers for you that day because you loved them so much. I was lucky to catch you before you rode the train. You told me that your vacation was over and that you will accept my proposal once you set foot again to that place.” He bit his lower lip and tried to hide his emotions by looking away from me.

“You didn’t get in touch after that. I waited every day and I am so glad to see you again Pauline. ” He whispered and pinched my chin briefly.

His gesture caught me off-guard. My heart swayed in a split second and I tried to erase that impulse to hold his hand as my muscle memory tried to dictate.