Dominique

Mafia's Mask

A sudden buzzing sound interrupted us. It was his phone. It looks like he put an alarm to be aware of the time limit. He stood without warning and gave me a forced goodbye smile.

After he closed the door, I was all alone again. The sound of the splashing wave is the only music that I can enjoy while I wait with a lot of thoughts inside my head. Just exactly how many people will there be?

A soft knock on the door gave me a hint that the next stranger is outside. I wonder why he is still not coming in. I decided to get up from my seat and go to the door instead.

I opened the door and saw him waiting with ease. He was wearing the white long sleeves like a nice young lad; buttoned up until its last piece, tucked in nicely against his black slacks. He looked exceptionally charming and dazzling. He has his brown hair styled in faux with undercut while his fair skin looked like that of a baby.

He smiled at me softly and asked in his well-modulated deep voice.

“Good morning, how are you?” –

“I’m doing just fine. How about you?” I responded in a parallel way. He sounded so harmless.

“I’m glad to know that. I’m happy to see you again.” He answered courteously.

With our fair exchange of greetings, we entered the room and he closed the door silently. He even pulled the chair for me as I sit. He was so well mannered.

“Let me introduce myself, I’m Andy.” He gestured to shake my hand.

“How would you like us to start?” Andy took the lead and I appreciated it. He was like the leading men on dramas.

“I would need to ask you certain questions.” I started with a very relaxed custom.

“Go for it.” He said with a smile on his pinkish lips.

“Who am I to you and how did we meet?” I asked without feeling intimidated. I don’t know why I feel so comfortable around him but I am indeed pleased.

“You are Dominique. We actually met in gaming convention. We bumped into each other while trying to get the same limited action figure for our favorite game. It was strange that we both gave it up when a kid approached us and asked if he can have it instead. Since we share the same interest, we went out for lunch and continued our conversation. We also started to meet regularly and later we were even identified as regulars on a café because we always pick that as a meeting place.” He shared willingly.

I was astounded about this. I don’t even play online games. In fact, I don’t even have a single spark of interest for it. This is a very different person.

“May I know when was the last time we saw each other?” I followed up shortly.

“I am not sure what happened that day to be honest. We had a plan to check out a café that you discovered. You told me that you liked the coffee there and that there are complimentary muffins and stuff. You didn’t tell me the name of the place since it was meant as a surprise. You called me that day to wake me up but I prepared earlier than our call time since I have something to give you. I asked for us to meet earlier. I booked a car for you since your application does not seem to work. I was checking the map and the progress of your trip when all of a sudden the driver called my number when he reached your house telling me that there’s no one there. I almost went crazy that day because I was so worried. I travelled to your place and you were not really there. I checked the game that we are playing and you were no longer there as well. It was just then when I went home and saw that there’s a notepad on my door and an instruction saying – not to look for you anymore.” Andy ended his story with a saddened expression on his face.

“How can you tell that it’s from me?” I asked some more.

“I am sure it’s you – you even said there that you’ll come visit me soon. It was your handwriting.”  Andy confirmed confidently.

It was just so hard to believe. Giving someone a false hope does not make the situation any better. This kind of personality is so far from mine, it’s so twisted that I can’t even accept it. Why did this earnest man believe that character?

“Hey, stop over thinking.” Andy pointed out and tapped the tip of my nose with his index finger.

It was a familiar gesture. My reflexes made me flinch.

“Some things never change I guess. Take your time.” He started to laugh on my instant action like I used to be that way when we spent our time together.