Briefing

Mafia's Mask

There were two men wearing a full suit who escorted me to the investigation room. I find it odd since they are not wearing the same uniform as the normal security guards in the vicinity. I was looking around if anyone can notice this. People were staring but it did not seem like I am a criminal being arrested, it appeared more like I am a VIP being ushered somewhere else.

The investigation room was empty. I sat on the only chair near the interrogation table – well I guess this is what they call it. This is my first time being invited to such place ever since I was born. In front of me was a huge monitor. The walls were all covered with what looks like a cushioned material. I don’t know if this was meant to make the conversation sound proof or anything but it makes me feel nerve-wracking just like those that I have watched in movies.

I was waiting for someone to enter the room when the flat screen monitor in front of me suddenly and displayed an image on an old man looking directly to me. I was perplexed by his smirk. Who is this stranger?

“At last – after almost half a year I am glad that we finally found you my dearest niece.” He started with a rather warm and deep voice. He addressed me as his niece but this is the first time that I saw him.

“I do really apologize but I am an orphan and base on my family records, I don’t have any close relatives after I was adopted.” I tried to respond nicely on his absurd statement. They might be mistaken.

“Come on – Zena, you were so good at it. This is indeed your specialty; concealing information about your mission. By the way, you might have a lot of names that you live by but Zena is your real name, the name that I have chosen for you when I took you under my wings.” He insisted.

I tried to re-assess my situation. There is a very low percentage that I can get out of here alive if it try to resist. If I will speak some more, I might give away information about myself that they can use to their advantage. For now, I will be silent and be more vigilant and observant.

“Oh, I like those inquisitive eyes of yours. I know that you are trying to form your game plan. Even when you are in another character, you are still a strategist since you were brought up that way. Okay – I will cut the chase and show you the evidences why you were brought here in the first place.” After saying that, he snapped his fingers and a video played on the screen.

I saw a lady who looks exactly like me walking inside a luxurious living room and she then sat comfortably on a chair as she waited for someone. She kept glancing on her wrist watch as he she stared on the crystal chandeliers above her head. Shortly, the man who claimed to be my uncle came in and sat opposite to my dopple-ganger and she smiled at him like they knew each other.

“Are you happy to be back?” He asked her with an interested tone as he waved his hand in the air like something out of a habit.

“Well yes, after so many years the only thing that goes inside my head is my plot for revenge. I’d like to punish the person responsible for my father’s death. Give me the mission and I will finish it as quick as possible.” The lady answered with pure happiness on her face. I don’t get it.

“The preparations are all worth it. I know it will be hard because they are so close to your heart but – I rest all my confidence in you. By the way, I hope you don’t mind taking this as part of being a contractor.” The man slid a black envelope on the table towards her.

She casually pulled a small knife from her pocket and opened it with a swift slash. There was a necklace inside it. It was silver plated with different colored beads attached to its chain and a black pearl served as its pendant. She wore it right away and gave him a wink. Seeing what happened gave me goosebumps. It looks exactly the same of what I am wearing. This accessory was wrapped around my neck when the accident happened and even the doctors can’t get it off.

My hands subconsciously felt it with my fingers. I know to myself that I have tried to get rid of it so many times when I get discharged but it does not seem to budge at all. It is starting to give me a very weird feeling.

“The only people who can get that off you is our organization my dear. If you try to get that off by yourself you’d rather be good as dead. It can kill you upon breach of contract however you were accidentally marked as missing in action so we tried to find you first and see what really happened. That was not your style to begin with so we were a bit worried that we’ve been compromised.” The screen displayed the old man once more.

“You see you are my precious agent and I want to keep you since you’re my closest keen. We agreed for you to wear that to promote transparency and equality among all our members. Now Zena, let’s figure out what happened to your last mission.” He stood from his seat and got a file from the book shelf beside his table.