Elaine

Mafia's Mask

“You better take your lunch” He said and stood up from his chair.

I was surprised how aware they were with the timeframe of our conversation. He left the room holding a heart sign on both of his hands at the top of his head.

The maids entered with meals on a tray. I think I will just choose the easiest to eat. I picked the wrapped sandwich instead and grabbed the orange juice. I munched on it quickly so they can leave. I can’t lose my momentum just because I need to fill my stomach.

Right after seeing I finished my lunch, they disappeared from my sight in an instant. The next gentleman knocked on the door. He slowly opened the door and avoided to make any sound as much as possible. At first I thought I saw a lady with a chestnut cut hair but he was a very pretty man. His jet black hair matched his fair complexion. He looked like an elf with his rather small pointed nose but his slim body pose that of a mannequin. The white long sleeves that he was wearing fitted to him perfectly, the neckline instead of the common collar was sealed with a mandarin collar.

I can’t take my eyes of him, he was so elegantly ethereal.

His almond shaped eyes caught mine looking at him with admiration. This caused him to shyly cover his face to let out an awkward laughter.

“Oh Ple - Please don’t be like this.” He stuttered in a cute way.

“Sorry – I can’t help it.” I directed my gaze to the open windows.

I looked back at him and he was already blushing. He sat in front of me and I was so distracted by his beautiful face. He was biting his thin lower lip and was about to say something.

I waited for him to gather his words.

“Good afternoon. I’m Hyesung.” He quickly reached for a proper handshake. I was surprised how firm he shook mine.

“Is it true that you can’t remember me anymore?” Hyesung asked with a worried look.

I just nodded. I don’t know what else to say since it is like meeting him for the first time.

“As long as you are okay and you have recovered, I am already fine with that.” He added with a reassured tone.

“Hyesung, will it be okay for you to tell me about how you knew me as a person? Like who am I to you and who did we meet?” Because in real life, I can’t believe meeting someone like him in my life time, it must have been a very rare of luck.

“You’re Elaine. We met on a dating site. You know the kind of applications that you install on your phone to virtually date someone? I – uhm.. I work as a model and I am having a hard time meeting with other people. One of my friends suggested me to try it and we found each other there. You were a graphic designer and you also have a very busy schedule based on your profile. I was surprised that you were in the same industry. It was odd to think that up until now, you had the same expression on your face the first time you saw me.” He explained carefully by not expressing how happy he was.

So it was really pure luck to meet this kind of guy. I am wondering how to get along with someone like him. He’s so awkward but it makes me more curious about him in the middle of his susceptible state.

“When was the last time that we saw each other?” I asked.

His eyes narrowed a bit. It looks like he’s about to share an unpleasant event.

“I invited you to one of my pictorials since I would like to show you what I do for my job. You didn’t believe me when I told you about my profession since I was so shy in person. You agreed to come so I prepared something special for you. I was anticipating your presence however – you never showed up. You just told me you had an urgent deadline to meet and that was it.” He ended with a deep sigh and tried to smile to shake of the cloud of disappointment.

He stood up all of a sudden to leave. I wasn’t ready to let go of him yet. I felt like I need to say something so I tried to chase him back. As I was about to reach him he stopped mid-way and faced me. He swiftly bent his knee and started to untie my shoelace – no, I was wrong. Hyesung was redoing it.

“You’re still stubborn. I told you already not to tie it this way. If you trip, you’ll have a hard time healing and I wouldn’t want you to have scars.” He said under his breathe. He looked up at me and continued.

“Don’t worry I am not mad at you.” Hyesung ended our one sided conversation and went out of the door leaving me speechless.