Strangers

Mafia's Mask

“We have investigated your foot print via the necklace tracking device and we have identified the last people whom you’ve interacted with. One of them is the one who murdered your father and one of them is your fiancé. You see, you have introduced yourself to them in different characters and revealed your true self to only one. Perhaps you can figure out who your fiancé is so he can be excluded from the filtering of whom to be punished, yes?” He sounded confident and sarcastic. I don’t know why I have a feeling that I can’t trust him.

I tried to think hard about it. The facts were so surreal. Before the accident, I was on my way to my new work location after withdrawing from the corporate world for 6 months. After the accident, I don’t even remember what happened to the rest of that half year absence. Amazingly the only thing that stuck to me is my work knowledge and long term plans.

This explains the ripped-off pages of my journal. It stopped right when I started to travel until that night of the accident. I don’t know if I am being submerged into this whole conspiracy thing but this made my flesh crave for answers.

Rewriting the beginning is not the most ideal part of someone's life that is already in a rather satisfying setting already.

“Well – is there anything else that you can show me to make me believe that I can trust you?” I tried to ask bravely. I need more. I want more. This can’t be the only basis of my freedom right?

“Since you seem not to recall me, let me introduce myself first to you darling. I am the unicorn near the cloud’s last entrance, #11011. You call me Wil by the way since you have only your respect towards your dad ever since you were young.” He laughed as he looked at me with a hint of tease.

I had a lot of mixed emotions. I tried my best not to show it and keep my poker face. Now I see his point and I perfectly understand. I don’t still know how in the world did he found that out but this man is no joke. I know exactly what he was talking about. It was something that I had in my calendar before I left for that so called non-existent vacation. It pops up on my calendar until now.

What Is Lost ~ unicorn near the cloud’s last entrance #110111”

WIL  ~ unicorn near the cloud’s last entrance #110111 = UNCLE

Even on my SNS my last status before I left was, “So long, got to meet up with a unicorn :)” which totally didn’t make sense when I woke up in the hospital until yesterday. I know – because I tried to figure about it every day.

“Zena, you got Shiloh now on your sleeve since she’s the easiest fall back. She is the most normal of all you characters and the most established; the most untraceable and the most consistent. Don’t worry, I know you have an acceptable reason why you ended up as her as your last card.” Wil sounded rather determined to get back my memories. I am still skeptic with all these.

The lights on the room suddenly went on. It seems that the presentation is already done. The guards were back to their position and now they are carrying my belongings. They escorted me to the basement and made me ride a heavily tinted armored car. They didn’t force me and even kept a polite attitude towards me. The two of them even smiled at me with welcoming stance and were addressing me formally.

“Our Lady, you are scheduled to meet them tomorrow 30 minutes at a time. Their schedules are arranged depending on the timeline of when you have met them on the 6 months void.”  The man with the tied up hair explained with the gentlest deep voice that I have ever heard. I just nodded my head.

With less than an hour, we reached our destination. It was a white mansion located on a cliff facing the ocean gleaming against the sunset’s burnt orange rays. The wind embraced me with its familiar scent. My senses are telling that I belong to this place. I’ve been here.

We entered the lodge and there it was the very same set up in the video that I saw just a while ago. All the furniture, the black leathered couch the towering figurines and the slick black walls under the dreamy opal window – it was the Mansion’s Foyer. It looked so divine. The guards left me to the care of the maids. There were two young maidens who assisted me to my room found on the right wing of the ground floor and it’s even bigger than my hotel suite.

The only thing that is running inside my head right now is how not to get killed. I am helpless as long as I am wearing this evil cursed necklace. I think fairytales are way better than this; at least there I can get revived when I die but here in reality, I just have one life. Every choice that I make dictates my survival.

If I can only regain what I have lost in those 6 months, my situation could have been better. How come that the Shiloh before was aware that she’s also Zena? Why did I decide to erase those crucial details? My older self should have considered that I can be very vulnerable right?

For now, I would need to plan my tactic for tomorrow. I just have half an hour to figure out who’s who. The life of the fiancé whose identity I can’t even recognize depends on me. I should maximize that chance to pick him among them. I think 3 questions will do. I took out my phone to check if it can be of any use. Now I get it why they didn’t confiscate it, there is no network signal at all. Is this a black hole?

I had a rather short sleep than expected. I tried to collect my thoughts while taking my shower. I should be more organized with my statements. I’m afraid that I might lose my grip once I meet them in person. Yesterday, I was lucky since the person named Wil is just inside a monitor. Today is a completely different set up since I will be meeting them in flesh.

I can’t even get myself to eat breakfast because of the anxiety. I feel like I will throw up but I need to eat. I even skipped dinner last night and just decided to go to sleep right away.

I asked them to give me the simplest meal that they have in this house and what I get is a feast in bed instead. From the range of pancakes, sandwiches, muffins, soup and even bacon, ham and egg; they have provided it without reservation. I even have three available beverages.

All I was able to consume was a pancake, a slice of bacon and a half cup of coffee. After brushing my teeth I told them I was ready.