Envy

Mafia's Mask

The maids escorted me once again to the elevators as soon as our time ended. My heart is slowly sinking into sadness with all these. I think I am not in any advantage with this kind of set up. How come that nothing makes sense? Even my instincts are failing me in the middle of a crucial assessment.

We went down again to the mansion’s lowest floor and went to the last room for today. It was on the furthest end of the guest rooms. It was the Mansion’s Library. The arched doorway we entered was with a glass entrance. The scent of old books instantly infiltrated my lungs. Classic wooden shelves stand tall side by side with varying reading materials. The room was lit with round bright orbs which were perfect for reading.

The long couches with ornamental patterns added to its exquisite look together with an oblong wooden table to serve as a space for more dissecting information. I saw Dongwan on the furthest end of the library spinning the globe slowly while looking at it closely wearing a knitted grey pull over with orage sleeves.

He turned to my direction when he felt my presence. He smiled at me in a friendly way and waved in an instant after seeing me.

We sat on each soft couch as we took the same side of the table.

“I guess I am the last one for today as well Xenos.” Dongwan started our conversation.

“Pretty much, yes.” I responded. Base from what I can remember he was also the last person I saw yesterday.

“So, what would you like to talk about today?” He asked with curious tone in his voice.

“Anything you’d like to discuss. I honestly want to know more about you.” I told him directly.

Dongwan sighed heavily. It was like he’s frustrated on something but cannot tell it right away.

“The truth is you really gave me a hard time when we parted. I just can’t wait for us to be together again just like this but I don’t want to regain our lost chances in this place. This is like a stage play!” He said while trying to restrain his voice from shouting.

I know how it feels. It was like we were lab specimens. We are being monitored and one wrong move can lead us to a very undesirable ending.

It was hard. It was suffocating. It was not right to begin with.

“Hey – you’re not allowed to frown.” Dongwan whispered as he raised his thumb backwards and I saw a camera at the wall corner actively monitoring us.

My reflexes dictated me to smile and talk to him like a ventriloquist.

“So what now?” I asked like him grinning like an idiot.

“You wanna know what, you can have these to brighten you up.” He spoke loud enough to start a conversation and gave me three pieces of my favorite orange jelly candy.

“I hope you are up for a merienda. I asked our maids to prepare something that’s healthy and yummy. They were your favorite during the time when we were together.” Dongwan rose from his seat as I munch on the sweets that he gave me.

I wonder what it was. I don’t know if it’s just me but I noticed that he is having mood swings of some sort. I just can’t read him but he is prank to his core. Maybe he is still mad at me because of the way I left him behind.

I just realized that he left a book on the table. I tried to reach for it to see what he was reading and as I flipped on its old pages my head swirled once more to a frenzy of images – my memories of him.

Dongwan is the Sin of Envy. He took the cover as a photographer since he is envious of people with free souls and has their normal lives. He wanted to experience the things that he reads on books and magazine first hand. This is his main reason why he travelled and took photos of the amazing sites by himself. With a brilliant mind, Dongwan seek to always innovate and achieve brilliance in everything that he does. As a contractor, he is the person main responsible for handling the team’s records starting from the most basic data up to their health concerns. He’s the team’s human diary.

Instead of being reactive, he is proactive in nature and had his activities planned in long term. He does not want to waste time and puts his priorities on a list.

It was my crying scene once again. The first time that he saw me was not in the pension house but by the time that I was walking down the mountain. He cupped my face in between his hands and I started to break down.

“Hey that’s mine.” Dongwan shouted at me while laughing.

My senses cracked and realized what the pages looked like. He was reading a compilation of love letters. I tried to be composed and closed it slowly to put it back on its position.

He had his teasing eyes towards me while putting a plate of banana-Q and toron right between us. He also brought some glasses of lemonade for our afternoon snack. It was a good thing that I didn’t eat anything when I met Minwoo.

Dongwan started to tell me about the places he went to after our last meet up. He described his adventures and always mentioned that he would like to go back there one by one with me. He even assured that I will surely enjoy it just like he did.

“I found something interesting in this book – here read it.” He then handed me the book that I was flipping earlier. Only to discover that I ring was stuck on its page.

“I just want to let you know that I am impatient. I will be the one who got away if you don’t hurry up and decide.” Dongwan exclaimed and let out his contagious odd laughter.

Yes, indeed he wasn’t like the rest from the beginning. I got the ring and told him straightforwardly.

“I need time. I’ll do my best.” This time I gave him an assurance.