Sloth

Mafia's Mask

Did I dig my own grave? I can’t possibly just imagine those things rushing in my head like it was a very comprehensive and detailed déjà vu. I left the gallery with a defective reasoning.

The maids guided me to the path going outside the mansion. They opened the doors before me and a path full of flowers and green ornaments welcomed me. It was clearly a different ambience because of varying plants around me. The breeze blowing from the ocean instantly mixed the elegant scents and transformed it to a comforting aroma. It was the Mansion’s Garden.

The pavement was with covered with white bricks. I walked slowly as I try figure out how to reach the glass table located in the middle of the shrub maze before me. It was a good thing that I can see it from the elevated ground where I am standing. My palms naturally started to run on the surface of the stone balustrade leading to the stairs.

There I saw Eric quietly waiting for me. He was squatting near a palm tree while wearing a grey knitted pull over with orange stripes on it – I don’t know if he was hiding or something.

“Hey!” I shouted gently. I just wanted to be a bit spirited since the atmosphere calls for it.

I was surprised when he didn’t respond at all. I moved closer towards him until I realized that he was sleeping. His immovable positon made him attractive like a statue painted realistically to blend in with the aesthetic of the garden.

I guess I don’t have any other choice so I decided to poke him lightly but before my finger could even touch him he woke up like he knew I was there all along. This stunned me and made me miss a step on the remaining platform of the staircase which led for my balance to fall apart. My world turned in an instant slow motion as I saw him grab my arm in a flash. My mini heart attack caused me to shred ten years of my life. I almost fell on the protruding marble right behind me.

“Thank you.” I said in haste between my struggling attempt to collect myself.

“You are still clumsy when you’re around me Irene.” He whispered with a crooked smile smeared on his face. I hate it when he does that.

While walking towards the table at the center, he sneakily picked a ginger colored cosmos flower and handed it to me. I received it with a grin on my face. It was like an inside joke – I can’t explain this familiarity but I am so comfortable around this silent conversation.

“By the way – I cooked our menu for today. I’ve always wanted to do prepare something special for you since I wasn’t able to do so before you went AWOL. I hope it’s okay.” He can’t look at me directly but I am so touched by the thought that he even had this gesture up his sleeve.

“I’m more than honored to have a taste of your creation.” I agreed and took the sit right opposite to him.

“Oh YEAH! Alright, I will let the maids know about it. I was not confident that you will say yes that is why I asked them to prepare a contingency menu. I will give them the go signal now. Here you can have this as your appetizer.” Eric unwrapped the same candy that keeps me fueled. It was that orange jelly sweet once more.

He put it on my palm before he ran to get our food. It is something that erases that taste on my tongue that is why I love it so much. This candy allowed me to enjoy so many kind of food without getting sick of it regardless of its varying flavors. It was a good idea after all so I started consuming it once more.

While waiting for Eric my attention was caught by the waterless fountain near a secluded gazeebo. It got me curious so I had the impulse to take a look but before I can even stand a sudden blow of flashback started to play inside my head again.

 It was an image of me as I ripped of Eric’s picture on a portfolio and slid it in my pocket. He was The Sin of Sloth. He might be the most passive but by its opposite – the most aggressive of them all. He is the squad’s head, the one who makes the plan, the one who always had the final say on each step to be accomplished. When he wants something, he makes sure to get it flawlessly. He was at that level that even in the most difficult situations – he can rest because he already prepared long before. Exhaustion comes first and by non-stop doing what he aims to achieve, he finishes with a long time of slumber.

Eric decided to be a in a construction company since here he can stealthy just work with extended hours of sleep as long as he meets his deadlines perhaps constructing is the only excuse to move. He got wounded on the incident since he was sleeping under his desk after he was able to discuss the details of the building being remodeled. He’s famous for even half sleep walking, with an undivided relationship with his neck pillow.

My memory got all blurry with tears on the scene when I was eagerly waiting for him to wake up in the hospital. It was then when he weakly reached for my head and brushed my hair lightly.

I was taken back to reality when a plate of fish stew got served in front of me. I tried my best not to choke with tears. I saw Eric smiling as he slowly placed grilled clams together with rice with steamed eggs on its top. It was a sumptuous lunch. Words are not enough to describe how delightful our meal was.

“Irene, I wanted to give you this.” He said silently as he pulled something out from his pocket.

I stopped from eating and he held my hand to place a ring on my hand. Just like Junjin and Andy – he did not slide it on my finger.

“Just like how I prepared these foods for you – I wanted to give you all the time that you can have to think about it. I will patiently wait for you.” He gave me a warm smile and continued eating.

My confusion is indescribable. My heart is wavering.