The Solid Truth Told

Hell's School

“Sora unnie?” I timidly asked when we returned to the chorus room.  It was loud and chatty but when Sora unnie’s grave aura entered the room, everyone went silent.  “Noona, you okay?” Taemin asked with even amount of concern as me.  Sora unnie’s glare never peeled from her face, the look of hatred glazed onto her eyes, fists clenched, and face turning red.  “Unnie…?” Suzy came rushing to us.  Suddenly, Jessica unnie walked over and touched Sora unnie’s shoulder.  “Stop.  Just tell JungHee.  It’s better for her to know than to be concerned why you’re such a hothead.” she said.  “Tell me what?” I asked in caution.  Something between the elites and Sora unnie?  What could it be?  “Fine!  I guess you guys that don’t know will have to know anyways.” Sora spat.  She sat and calmed down a bit and said in a clear voice.  “Hyorin unnie… no, sunbaenim… ughh!  Hyorin unnie was my sunbae and my best friend since I was little!  There!  You have it now!  The reason why I hate her now and this stupid elite group is because of the elite status, Hyorin unnie left me!” she said as tears started forming on the corner of her eyes.  I gasped, and I’m sure the others did too.  Jessica said, “Us seniors, Khunnie, Vicky, Wooyoung, and I were all pretty close with Hyorin.  The original group when we were in Junior high school consisted of Hyorin, Khunnie, Vicky, Wooyoungie, EunJungie, Chaerin, and me.  Because of Hyorin, we knew Sora.”  I stared at her in shock.  Nickhun nodded and Victoria piped up, “That’s the original group; us seniors and Sora.  This is our story…”  The seniors started telling us hoobaes everything.

*WITH THE ELITES*

“Unnie, I never asked you this before but, how come the other group of teens, the one JungHee associates with, seem to hate us?” Minzy asked.  Minzy was quite scared of Sora at that moment.  The scene of this girl staring with pure hatred and anger at her unnie made her feel uneasy.  Hyorin looked at her little cousin.  “It’s a long story…” Hyorin sighed, hesitant to tell the truth.  “Unnie, I feel the right to know.” Minzy said pressuring her cousin to confess.  “If Hyorin won’t tell you, we’ll tell you.” said CL finally, after a long silence.  EunJung looked at the young girl and started the truth.  “It was when we were still in Junior High School…”

*FLAHSBACK: It’s not from either side of the groups.  You’re reading it in third person.  Hyorin will tell it in the point that she loved Sora and did it due to certain rules.  Sora will tell it as though Hyorin betrayed the young hoobae and the elites are nothing more than coldhearted brats.*

Let’s turn back in time; a time where the seniors now were just in Junior High School.  Just like JungHee, Sora was best friends with an elite, the heir rather, and didn’t know about the rules.  “Unnie, when you become elite, can I be in your group?” young Sora asked with wide curious eyes.  “Uhm…  We’ll see.  If I can, you’ll definitely be a part of it.  I don’t know where I’ll be without my little donsaeng!” young Hyorin said with a gleam in her eyes.  “I want all of us to be in the same group forever!” she cried towards the others.  But secretly, Hyorin knew that was impossible.  The elite position could only be given to 2 or 3 other people and must be same age.  Hyorin felt closest to Jessica, Chaerin, EunJung,  and Sora.  She couldn’t pick Sora.  It’s against the rules.  She could choose Jessica and someone else, but Jessica was dating Donghae, a boy from a different school, and the status would inferior everything especially since the schools were different.  The elite position could only be left for EunJung and Chaerin.  “Yes, only they can.  I want everyone to be with me, but Chaerin and EunJung are closer and fit criteria for this elite position.  I’m sorry, Jessie.  I’m sorry, Sora…” Hyorin would always say to herself.

“EunJung-ah, Chaerin-ah.  I have to talk to you two.  Ah, Sora, stay here.  I’ll be back.” Hyorin said one day.  Sora was shocked that Hyorin didn’t want Sora to be with her.  Hyorin always took Sora everywhere, told secrets, did girl talks, did make overs, and everything.  This was a first and Sora felt a little hurt that Chaerin and EunJung were going with the unnie she loved.  “Uhmm….  Okay…  Unnie!  Don’t take too long!  We need to finish these bunny apples before it gets yucky!” Sora called.  “Okay, just wait for me then.” Hyorin said almost sadly.  Hyorin swallowed her tears back.  “I’m sorry, Sora.” she kept thinking.  “What’s up?  You seem sad, Hyorin.” young CL asked.  Young EunJung looked at the other girls.  “Guys, when we get to the high school, you’re my elite.  I can’t have anyone else other than you two.” Hyorin finally said.  “WAE?!?” both girls cried at once.  Hyorin broke into tears.  “I know.  Everyone thought it would be Jessica and Sora!  But I can’t!  Jessica is going out with some other dude in a different school and the status might be too overwhelming for her!  I can’t choose Sora because she’s too young!  All elites must be the same age in order to graduate together.  That’s the only reason why I can’t pick Sora.  Don’t take it offensively; you guys are my other best friends so that leaves you.  Nothing is standing in my way to not select you guys.  Do you understand?”  CL and EunJung both nodded and patted Hyorin’s shoulder.  “We understand.  It’s shame for Sora though.  She really wanted to be with you.” EunJung said sadly.  Hyorin nodded and wiped away her tears.  The news must be brought out to the others.

“UNNIE!  YOU DIDN’T CHOOSE ME!  WAE?!?  YOU SAID THAT YOU WOULD!” Sora cried over the phone that evening.  “Miahn…  I told you that I would choose you if I can.  Under certain circumstances, I cannot.  Miahnhae, Sora-ah, really I am.  I would fight to let you be an eli--.” Hyorin said softly back.  “NO!  YOU…  YOU…  YOU’RE LEAVING ME!  YOU TRAITOR!  YOU DON’T LOVE ME!  I LOVED YOU SO MUCH, I WOULD HAVE DONE SO MUCH FOR YOU!  AND YOU CAN’T EVEN LET ME BE AN ELITE!  I HATE YOU!  DON’T EVER TALK TO ME, HYORIN UNNIE!  NO, YOU’RE NOT EVEN MY UNNIE.  YOU’RE NOT MY FAMILIAR.  SO IT’S HYORIN SUNBAENIM!  I HATE YOU, SUNBAENIM, AND I ALWAYS WILL BECAUSE OF THIS!” Sora screeched into the phone.  Hyorin was going to defend but the only thing she heard was the beeping noise on the other end.  Sora hung up on Hyorin due to furious anger.  Hyorin sobbed quietly to herself.  She regretted this choice; she should have fought back her cousin Lee Minho for making stupid rules and let Sora be an elite.  But it’s not like Hyorin could tell Sora that.  Sora was mad her.  Sora didn’t even want to talk to Hyorin.  Hyorin felt horrible about this.

Sora wasn’t feeling too well either.  Sora felt hurt that her favorite unnie wouldn’t tell her the secret that was told to EunJung and Chaerin.  The news about her not being an elite just threw her off and felt like a bird shot out of the air.  Her unnie, HER UNNIE, did not choose her to be an elite.  “I hate them.  Hyorin unnie—I mean SUNBAENIM is such a brat.  I hate her and EunJung sunbaenim and Chaerin sunbaenim!  They can be elites if they want!  Oh, bloody hell!  They can live as elites, die as elites, and they’ll never know how I feel!” Sora shouted in her room alone.  She sat in the middle of her room and cried her heart out.  Young Sora fell asleep crying, muttering “I hate you, unnie….”

The next morning, the three soon-to-become elites walked towards the group of friends.  Timidly, Hyorin asked “Where is Sora?” and only got a glare from Jessica.  Jessica Jung, one of the scariest person alive.  Hyorin got nervous at the sight of her friend giving her a death glare.  The other friends looked at Jessica and Hyorin and back again.  “Yo, knock it off, Jessica!” Young CL shouted.  Jessica shoved CL off and EunJung attempted an even glare.  Hyorin was pale as a ghost, fearful of Jessica’s sudden rage.  Young Victoria grabbed Jessica before EunJung and Jessica ruptured into a cat fight.  Young Wooyoung silently said, “Hyorin…  Just leave.  You’re the elite so please leave.”  Although it was silently said, he spat out the word elite in anger.  Hyorin’s eyes flooded with tears.  “I’m sorry, you guys.  It’s not like that!  You know I would fight to have you all as my elite.  Please, where is Sora?  I want to talk to her.” Hyorin pleaded.  “She’s no longer in this school.” Jessica growled.  Hyorin stared at shock.  “She begged her mother to transfer her because she hates your face, Hyorin.”  Hyorin’s tears started falling and she looked away.  “EunJung, Chaerin.  Let’s leave.  We’re not welcomed here, and they…..  they are certainly not welcomed to talk to us either.  This is farewell, then.  If Sora comes contact with you, send her my regards.” Hyorin said, fighting back her quivering voice.  “No, we won’t.  She hates you so why would she listen to YOUR regards, Miss Hyorin?” Nickhun grumbled.  Hyorin stood tall and started to walk.  EunJung and CL followed their new leader in silence and sadness.

That day, that was the day everything started.  The day that Hyorin regretted everything, and wanted to die.  When they graduated, Hyorin attempted suicide because she didn’t want a high school life without Sora in her elite.  Lee Minho, her cousin, stopped her and told her that the ways things are, are supposed to be.  Hyorin hated everything at that moment.  Because of this she seemed coldhearted to others who tried to approach her, but kind and loving to those whom she adored and loved.  That was only few people.  Hyorin dreamed one day to speak with Sora again.  She dreamed to make things right with Jessica, her best friend.  She wanted to talk to Victoria, Wooyoung, and Nickhun.  Hyorin dreamed…

Jessica, Wooyoung, Nikchun, and Victoria soon forgot the long hated situation and grew to ignore it.  Sora, who was most affected, still held that in her heart.  “Hyorin sunbaenim…  We’ll meet again, real soon.” she said on the day of her graduation. 

*WITH THE ELITES*

Minzy stared in shock as she watched her cousin cry as she told the story.  She never knew that her cousin suffered so much.  “Unnie…” Minzy’s voice cracked.  Hyorin looked up to see her little cousin trying to find words to comfort her.  “I’m sorry.  Hah.  It’s funny seeing me cry, right?  I’ll stop.  Sigh….  I want Sora back.  I regret everything.  This is why I’m telling you, I don’t care who you choose in your elite.  I don’t want you suffering regret like how I am.  It’s too much pain, you understand, right?” Hyorin said, trying to smile.  Minzy nodded and EunJung sat next to the young heir.  “Minzy-ah.  What did JungHee say when you asked about her being the elite?” she asked.  Minzy looked and Hyorin was glad the topic was turned away to something else.  “Uh?  Ah!  She said she wasn’t interested and I totally understood how she felt.  I guess I just have to find someone else fast, huh?” Minzy said with a small smile.  CL laughed, attempting to lighten the mood.  “Minzy-ah, don’t worry.  You still have two cousins of yours coming in next year.” the tall blonde girl said.  “I mean, Lee Minho never had a special group of elites with him.  He had like two friends and he got rid of them when we came in.”  Minzy nodded.

*WITH THE CHOIR*

“Oh.  My.  God.” JungHee breathed.  She never knew such rage Sora concealed.  “That’s why she hates the elites, particularly the heir, so much.” Jessica scowled.  Jessica and Sora were most hurt.  They’ve known Hyorin longer than EunJung and CL, yet they weren’t chosen to be an elite.  JungHee, without thinking twice, ran to the unnies and gave them both a big hug.  “Jessica unnie, Sora unnie.  I’m sorry.  I never knew.  I thought it was just because you disliked them, but this…  I’m sorry.” JungHee murmured.  Sora nudged the younger girl away.  She then walked towards the window and stared blankly outside.  “It’s wrong to hold a grudge like that, but it just hurts so much.  I still can’t forgive her.” she said silently, almost to herself.  Jessica looked sympathetically to Sora.  Wooyoung yawned, “How cares.  They’re brats.  Spoiled, rich, and just bratty.”  Sooyoung looked at him.  “Yah, oppa.  That’s you.  You have like how many cars?  You parents send you to how many countries during breaks?  Don’t call the elites that.  I know that they can be, but you’re describing yourself.”  Nickhun sighed and Victoria leaned her head on her boyfriend’s shoulder.  The hoobaes were just in shock, trying to intake everything they have learned.

JungHee, again without thinking, stood up and said in a clear voice.  “The elites aren’t like as Wooyoung oppa said!”  Everyone stared at JungHee.  “The elites are really nice, they just act cold.  It’s just giving attention to those who want it.  To those who don’t, they don’t really care because they don’t seek attention.  Other than that, they’re really nice.  I’ve gotten so many gifts from Minzy, but it wasn’t Minzy giving me the gifts and small notes.  Rather it was the sunbae elites!  They felt that I was being hurt this entire time so they kept sending me gifts so I wouldn’t feel as though Minzy hated me.”  Sora looked at this girl who was defending the sunbaenim whom she disliked with her entire heart.  JungHee stared defiantly.  “They’re not really who they seem to be.  Trust me.  I know Minzy too well.  She wouldn’t leave me even if it’s just for some special group.  And I’m sure that Hyorin unnie wouldn’t have left you without a reason.  If she really cared for you, she left for a good reason, I’m sure…” JungHee started confidently but her voice got smaller and smaller and Sora’s look just hardened.  She doesn’t believe me.  Sora bursted into a sharp laughter.  “Yeah, right.  She’s just like the first generation elites.  That boy who started this crap.  Just like Hyorin.  Can’t help it, it’s in her blood.  It’s a long line of siblings and cousins that run this school.  Whatever, I’ll shake it off later, eventually.”  JungHee stared at the floor.  Everyone was in silence.

*For the rest of the evening, everyone left Leeteuk to take care of his girlfriend, Sora.  The Jung Sisters talked amongst themselves, KhunToria with Wooyoung and Sooyoung with Sunye, Sungmin talking with Seungri and Jibin, and JungHee wrapped by Taemin’s arms.  It was highly awkward till Yubin bursted through the door.*

“YOU GUYS ARE AMAZING!” Yubin cried.  Jessica stood up and bowed in thanks but immediately frowned when Yubin was referring to Taemin and JungHee.  Yubin grinned and said, “Oh, yeah.  The choir was good too, I guess.  You guys were great too, but these two were just amazing!”  Yubin’s appearance was certain an ice breaker.  JungHee noticed that Yubin wasn’t on crutches.  “Unnie, you’re better, now?” she said with a smile.  Yubin blushed and smiled awkwardly.  “Let me tell you two guys the truth.  I was never hurt.  I faked it.” she said proudly.  “E-E-EEEHHHHHH?!?!?!?!!?!?” Taemin and JungHee said in unison.  Yubin laughed and replied, “You guys are cute.  I faked it so you two can have your intimacy together!” and winked at the couple.  Taemin rolled his eyes and said, “Noona.  What the hell.  You shouldn’t fake something like that.  Rain will be mad that you faked it and missed practice just because.”  JungHee turned crimson.  “Unnie…  you didn’t have to….”  Yubin looked at the duo and winked.  “Rain knows about it, too.  I told him everything.  Trouble Maker is such a close, intimate, touchy, and y dance.  If I, as a noona, did that with Taemin, who’s my hoobae, would make you, Tae’s girlfriend, feel awkward.  And I did it because I felt that you are a good dancer.”  The choir laughed whereas Taemin and JungHee blushed furiously.  The evening was lifted that evening.