Kill The Lights; It's Show Time

Hell's School

Like I said, most of the time I was practicing with the others for the show.  The stage crew also decided to join our choir and make it spectacular.  “I don’t sing, but I’ll do it once.” Said Sora unnie.  “Just because Teukkie oppa wants me to….”  Sooyoung and Sunye used to be in the group’s choir so they just dragged Wooyoung oppa back in as well as Jibin.  Ms. Baek seemed so happy and enthusiastic that the entire group was deciding to sing.  The only person that wasn’t in our group was Yubin, who was still recovering from her injured ankle.  I was concerned about her and her injury so I would always KakaoTalk her when I get the chance.

“Are you alright, unnie?”

“Yeah yeah.  Totally fine.  How’s your practicing?”

“It’s going well.  I’m so glad that I get to have this chance!..  Well not that I was hoping you’d get hurt… T.T”

“Kekeke it’s okay.  Eh, what can you do about it?  I’m getting better though.  I should be able to see the performance thankfully.  Do well!  Looking forward to the show~”

“Aish, unnie.  Making me nervous TT_TT  okay, I’m hoping it will be a good show, too.”

“eung…. JungHee, HWAITINGGG!!!!!!!!!!! <3”

I smiled at the conversation that evening.  I wanted to show everyone that this little “seo-min” is something, not just Minzy’s friend.  Speaking of Minzy, I wanted to talk to her about the elite selection.  I pulled my phone out again to KakaoTalk with Minzy.

“Minzy-ah.  Are you available to talk?  I want to talk to you about something really important.”

“Eung, what is it?”

“It’s about what you said.  About thinking of choosing me to be an elite…?”

“Ahhh….  Sure, you can talk.  I’m practicing for the talent show but I can spare a few minutes.  Wae?  What about it?”

“I don’t know if I want to be an elite.”  No.  I do know that I DO NOT want to be an elite.  Right when I was going to change what I meant, Minzy replied.

“Keke.  I figured.  I kinda guessed you didn’t want to be an elite.  I mean, if you did, you would still try to be close with me and try to get to know the elites.  It’s just like you, JungHee.  It was silly of me to ask you to be one, huh?”

I was startled at the words she said.  “No, no…  it’s not that!”

“Is it because of your boyfriend, Lee Taemin?  I understand that you’re dating him and such.  And that if you leave to be an elite, you feel that the status of an elite can be inferior to him and the others, right?  It’s okay, JungHee.  I’m not hurt, trust me.  I can find someone who’s more interested in being an elite.”

I felt like I was totally rejected.  How did Minzy know EVERYTHING?!?!  “you… how do you know this?”

“It’s pretty simple.  The day you were running with him, it was written on his face.  And the elites are all aware of everything that happens.  We always walk in the halls when no one is there and we heard this whole commotion about you and him.  It’s pretty cute.  Don’t worry, JungHee.  You don’t have to be an elite.  But if you ever change your mind, you can still tell me.  You’re always welcomed to me, JungHee, my sister for life <3”

I felt like a terrible friend.  I wanted to tell her that I wanted to be an elite, now.  But who am I kidding.  I don’t want to be.  I mean , Minzy is my best friend.  But I have Taemin, Sora unnie, Suzy, Jibin, and everyone else waiting for me and always supporting me.  What benefit would I get from being an elite?  I didn’t see any so I left a response of,”Okay.  Thanks for understanding, Minzy.  You’re a true friend.”

The next week was the big night.  SHOW TIME!!!!!!!!!!  I was sort of excited, but mostly nervous.  If it was just choral performance, I’m sure it would be fine.  But I’m also dancing this intimate, y dance with my boyfriend.  Just thinking about it, I felt like my head was going to blow off from blushing so hard. 

“JungHee,” Taemin whispered.  “Don’t be nervous.  I’ll be on the piano not too far from you and we’ll be dancing together.  Singing and dancing our hearts out.”  I smiled as I felt his words reach me.  I gave a peck at his cheek.  “Okay, Taemin.  Be with me the entire time.”  He smiled back.  Taemin helped me ease my nervousness but the others, not so much.  The stage crew was super nervous.  They really didn’t plan to be in the show, other than being back stage and setting up.  Now, it was more pressure since they have a huge task and have a number.  Wooyoung and Jibin decided to stay backstage so they can do lighting, audio, and curtains for us.  Ughhh, so much work.  They were so many students part of this show.  We never actually displayed our numbers and acts; we just went over regulations, rules, and the order of our performance.  The lighting and curtain and audio plannings were all given to the stage crew.  The fact that this entire thing wasn’t acted out first and such made it more hectic, causing me more nervousness.  Then, the big day arrived.

“C’MON, IT’S SHOW TIME!”  Jessica cried that evening.  The choir looked beautiful.  The guys were all wearing tuxedo.  White shirts, black tuxedoes, and black silk ties.  The girls were wearing black dresses.  Since I didn’t own one, the Jung Sisters took me shopping and bought me a little black dress.  It looked similar to the Jung Sisters’ and we looked like triplets.  “This dress would look perfect.  Not too long so it’s impossible to dance; and not too short so no one can see under you.  Taemin would get so mad if he finds out that some other guy was looking at his girl.” Krystal said on the day we went shopping.  Sora unnie had a black dress that fit every bit of her curvy body.  “Keke, Teukkie oppa’s going to like that.” snickered Suzy and Seungri bursted laughing.  Suzy wore a black dress that came to her knees.  She looked to free and happy waltzing around in her dress.  Seungri an Sungmin looked handsome, too.  Sunye and Sooyoung also wore matching dresses.  It was sleeveless, but Sooyoung wore a shawl over her dress whereas Sunye revealed her shoulders and beautiful body on the dress.  Victoria unnie and Nickhun oppa look like a beautiful pair, almost like newlyweds.  “Wow, my Khunnie so perfect!” Wooyoung gushed.  “Yah, off my man.” Victoria joked while pushing Wooyoung off her boyfriend.  I saw so many people walking around back stage and getting ready, but no sign of the elites.

 Then Taemin walked over to me and gave me a surprise back hug.  I giggled, turned to face him and hugged him back.  Taemin held me close to him and I breathed in his smell.  Fresh, clean, Taemin.  Only ways I can describe him.  “You look so beautiful, JungHee,” whispered Taemin.  “So beautiful, like always.” he said as he kissed the top of my head.  I looked up at him and he looked at me and we fell into a kiss on the lips.  “D’awwwwwwww, JungHee noona and Taemin hyung sitting in a tree!  K-I-S-S-I-N-G!” called Jibin as he ran past.  “Park Jibin!” I cried.  “Sorry, noona.  I had to.  Anyways, you guys are up!  Hurry to your places!” he said as he disappeared behind a large curtain.  I sighed and Taemin chuckled as he led me out towards the stage.  “Taemin, hwaiting!” I whispered.  Taemin smiled and winked at me.  “Knock them out with and amazing performance, JungHee!” he said back.  As I was walking, I bumped into someone.  “Oops, sorry!” I whispered.  “JungHee!” I heard Minzy’s voice.  “So glad I can see you before you perform!  The elites are all in the elite’s room.  I came out to see your performance!” she said happily.  I looked at her outfit.  It was very y, showing off her curves, milky thighs, and smooth shoulders.  It was my first time seeing Minzy like this.  She looked grown up.  “You too.” I said with a smile.  “Go on now.  You’re on.  JungHee, HWAITING!” she whispered as I ran to my position on the risers next to Suzy.  Suzy winked at me and I smiled back.  The curtains slowly parted.  The bright lights hurt my eyes, but after 3 seconds, my eyes adjusted.  I saw my brother in the crowds beaming at me.  My parents couldn’t come due to late night working, so Kyuhyun oppa came instead.  He mouthed, “JungHee, you can do it!” and I laughed to myself.  He lifted his video camera and I saw a tiny red light blink.  He was recording.

Jessica gave cue to Taemin and Taemin started playing the piano.  I breathed lightly and prepared my voice quietly.  Suzy grabbed my hand and squeezed it lightly.  I squeezed back.  Then we all started to sing.  I don’t know but when we were practicing it felt like forever to get through.  However, on stage, it went pretty quick.  I guess it’s because I was feeling confident and proud and possibly even having fun.  When we finished, the auditorium was roaring and clapping.  Jessica turned, bowed and gestured towards us.  The entire choir with Jessica and Taemin bowed for a final time.  The curtains came to a close and we hurried off the risers.  I was about to jump off the risers, but Taemin caught me and swung me off.  “Taemin-ah!” I giggled quietly.  People could still hear us because of the echoes so I didn’t want them to hear me laughing.  Taemin smiled and kissed me.  “You were amazing, JungHee.  I heard your voice of all the members.  I love you.” he said as we ran towards to chorus room.  As we were leaving, the elites were walking back.  I stared at them.  They smiled at me.  It wasn’t the usual sneer or smirk.  They were genuinely smiling.  Hyorin spoke up, “Cho JungHee, the choir was amazing, I must say.”  I was startled when she called my name.  “JungHee!” gushed CL.  EunJung piped up, “That was a spectacular performance!”  Minzy beamed at me and I grinned back.  “Good luck, you guys.” I said as the elites continued their way towards back stage.  “You can go see their performance if you want.  The back rows of the auditorium aren’t in use.  I think Suzy ran to see as well.” Taemin said.  I looked at him and he smiled letting me know it was good to go.  I gave me a pat on the to go, not ually, rather in a way like a mother does to her kid when she gestures them to go.  I ran as fast as my heels can carry me to the auditorium.  I spotted Suzy sitting on seat and slid into the one next to her.  “Hey, Suzy.  I’m going to watch with you.  I wanna see Minzy!” I whispered.  Suzy smiled and said, “Yes! Let’s!  This would be EunJung sunbaenim, Chaerin sunbaenim, and Hyorin sunbaenim’s last performance before graduating.  And this would be Minzy’s introduction to the school performance.  I’m so excited!  They’re doing Good Girl Bad Girl by Miss A!  Hyorin is supposed to be the Suzy in Miss A.  Minzy is Min, CL is Jia, and EunJung is Fei.”  I was excited for the show.  I’ve seen Miss A on Music Bank, Inkigayo, Mnet, and such.  That girl group is truly amazing and pretty.  I was getting jumpy from the excitement.

The lights went dark and we heard a beat come up.  Suddenly, red lights went on, then blue, making the stage purple.  I saw 4 figures on stage.  “Are you ready?” I heard CL’s voice echo.  “Let’s go!” Minzy cried.  The music started and the elites started singing.  Whoa, singing and dancing at the same time?  That’s hard, though!  Wow… they’re amazing.  It was truly amazing.  They looked fierce and y and amazing.  Their timing was almost exact and precise.  Their voices were beautifully in sync as well.  they brought a whole new level of pop to this.  I didn’t know which was better: Miss A or the Elites.  At the end where Miss A goes back to “You don’t know me” and “So shut off, boy”, CL called, “This be the elites!  CL, Eunjung, Hyorin, Minzy baby.  We outs!”  I felt someone tap my shoulder when the elites finished.  It was Jibin.  “Noona.  Trouble Maker.  It’s up right now.  Someone in the next performance suddenly got cramps so we’re skipping that until the dancer gets better.  So Trouble Maker is going on now.”  I got up and ran.  I bumped into Taemin when I bursted through the door.  “Whoa, hold it there.  JungHee, let’s go.  We’re on now.”  I followed his leader and ran backstage.  Minzy passed by and looked at my sudden actions questioningly.  Minzy grabbed Hyorin and Hyorin looked towards me and Taemin.  I didn’t see what happened next because I was on stage with Taemin back to back for Trouble Maker.  The curtains rose and the music began to play.  1….2….3….4…..2….3….4…. and now!  I turned to face the audience and started dancing with Taemin.  I saw Kyuhyun oppa look at me with full of curiosity and started to smirk when he heard what song it was.  I danced my heart out.  Taemin did the same.  When we were in practice, we would smile and laugh while dancing but this is the actual thing so we pulled the faces that Hyuna and Hyunseung did when we watched concert versions of Trouble Maker.  When we were close, almost at kiss, I felt my face get hot.  Not now, JungHee!  You’re on stage.  I thought I would die of embarrassment.  However, I was too into making this dance the best to even realize that so many people were watching me.  When the song came to a close, I felt relieved.  The curtains fell and Taemin and I left the stage.  As we left towards back to the chorus room, someone attacked me from the back.  “JUNGHEE!  THAT WAS AMAZING!  I DIDN’T KNOW YOU DANCED!” Minzy cried.  “Yah!  My eardrums!” I laughed.  I turned and saw the entire elites smiling at me again.  “That was really good.  You have some talent, JungHee.  You can sing and dance!  And those two songs done by you were like totally different genres of music!” Hyorin said in awe.  I made Hyorin, the leader, go in awe.  I was flattered.  The two other elites beamed at me.  “JungHee!  Oh….” I heard Sora unnie’s voice sharply say my name but calmed when she saw who I was with.  Hyorin’s smile disappeared and then she called to the others, “Let’s go back, girls.  Goodbye, JungHee.  We’ll see you soon.”  The elites followed her without a word but Minzy gave me a big smile.  Sora unnie’s glare was frozen on Hyorin as they passed.  “YAH!” Sora unnie’s voice cracked but the elites just walked on, never looking back.