8.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The next few days were a whirlwind of activity as they got everything ready for the season's first guests. Chaeyoung and Jisoo made a run to town for groceries. Lisa and Sunmi got the rooms ready for the guests. Jennie tried to help, but Sunmi and Lisa shooed her off, saying they had everything under control, so Jennie had time to write an extra marketing newsletter, get interviewed by a podcast, and book two new parties for later in the season. Finally it was Thursday afternoon. The bonfire ceremony would be that evening, after Chaeyoung and Jisoo got back from town, and the next day the season's first guests would arrive.   "What is this bonfire ceremony?" Sumni asked Lisa and they folded the last of the towels.   "It an old Fire Lodge tradition," Lisa said, "something Jennie's dad started. On the first night of the season, the whole staff goes out back and builds a huge fire in the fire pit. Then one by one we step forward and announce our goal for the new season. And after the last person has announced their goal, we all drink a shot of single malt scotch."   "I've never had scotch before - what does it taste like?" Sunmi asked.   Lisa pondered this question for a moment, trying to come up with a good answer. "It tastes like scotch - there's really no other way to explain it. If you don't like it, it's a small enough amount that you can just swallow it down quickly."   Sunmi nodded. "Now I've just got to come up with a goal."   They folded the remainder of the towels in silence, each deep in her own thoughts.   ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^   The sun was just dropping below the horizon as Jennie looked around, making sure everything was ready for the ceremony. The bonfire was blazing merrily. The shots of Scotch were sitting on the table nearest the first pit. Lisa and Sunmi were waiting inside - they had offered to help her build the fire, but she wanted to do it by herself. When she was building the fire was when she felt the closest to her parents. She could imagine them there with her and almost felt as if they could hear her.   Just then everyone came out and joined her on the deck.   "Is it time?" Lisa asked.   Jennie looked over her staff, proud of the crew of women she'd assembled, and nodded. "It's time. Chaeyoung, will you go first, get us started?"   Chaeyoung walked toward the fire, stopping on the way to pick up a shot of scotch. "My goal for this season is to keep the kitchen running so smoothly that Jennie never even has to think about it." She then rejoined the group at the edge of the firelight.   Jisoo stepped forward next. "My goal for this season is to become a good enough chef that Chaeyoung lets me cook dinner for guests by myself at least once." Jennie smiled - she couldn't help but notice the subtle stress that Jisoo put on the phrase "for guests." She could imagine Chaeyoung trying to let Jisoo fulfill her goal by cooking a staff dinner, but Jisoo was a step ahead of her.   As Jisoo rejoined the group, Lisa leaned over to Sunmi. "Are you ready to go," she whispered, "or do you need me to go first to give you some time to think?"   Sunmi shook her head. "I'm ready." She stepped forward, picked up her shot, and turned to face the fire. "My goal for this season is to get my head on straight, to not screw up this chance that Jennie-sunbae has given me, and to come out of the season with a plan for my future."   Lisa was next. "My goal for this season is to prove that I belong at Fire Lodge -" she locked eyes with Jennie - "in every way possible."   Finally Jennie stepped up. "My goal for this season is to make this the best season Fire Lodge has ever had. When my parents look down on me, I don't want them to be just proud of what I've done. I want them to be surprised that - with the help of my team - I've accomplished so much more than anyone ever thought I could." She turned to face the rest of the staff, then raised her glass in salute.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter