33.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa lost track of time while getting the cabins ready for the Tadashi party.  She stopped after she finished the last cabin, sure that just a couple of hours had passed, only to discover that the sun had set.  Checking the time on her phone, she saw that she'd been working for almost 7 hours.  Just then her thoughts were interrupted by her stomach gurgling.

"It's past dinnertime," she thought to herself, "and I only had a prawn for lunch.  I hope Jennie remembered to eat something today."  Turning on the flashlight on her phone, she locked up the cabin and headed back toward the lodge.

When she got to the lodge, she was surprised to discover that most of the lights were off.  "Hello?" she called out.

"We're in here," a voice responded from the front room.

Lisa followed the voice and discovered Jisoo and Sunmi standing at the front desk talking.

"Hey lady!" Jisoo said, waving at Lisa.  "You've been working hard today."

Lisa nodded.  "I have, but the cabins are all ready for the Tadashi party."

"That's great!" Jisoo and Sunmi exclaimed at once.

"So. . . um. . . " Lisa looked around at the dimly-lit room.  "Where is everybody?  And is there any chance there's still some dinner available?"

"Dinner," Jisoo said, "is on its way, along with everyone else.  That's what I was just telling Sunmi:  Jennie, Chaeyoung, Dahyun, and Tzuyu apparently spent the afternoon at A-Yeon's drinking and playing darts, and now A-Yeon is bringing them all back, and bringing dinner along with them."

Just then the front windows were lit up by a car pulling up in front of the lodge.

"There they are now," Jisoo said.  

Only when the front door of the lodge opened, it was Kim Hansol who came in, apparently just coming off a shift, as he was still in uniform.

"Good evening, ladies," he said.  "I was driving by and saw that the lodge was dark, so I figured I'd stop in and see if everything was okay."

"Everything's fine," Sunmi said.  "It's just the three of us here right now, so we didn't figure we needed a lot of lights.

Hansol nodded, then looked up at the ceiling for a second, as if gathering his thoughts.  "I know you're capable of taking care of yourself," he said cautiously, "but you really should have that door locked after dark."

"Oh, it was. . . " Jisoo and Sumni both tried to say at once, stumbling over each other's words.  After a moment's awkwardness, Jisoo stopped and signaled to Sunmi that she should talk.

"It was locked," Sumni said, "We just unlocked it a few minutes ago because we're expecting A-Yeon to bring back the rest of our staff and guests.  And I've been standing right by the taser the whole time the door's been unlocked."

Hansol nodded.  "That's good," he said.  "I-"

But whatever he was about to say was cut off by the door opening behind him and Jennie, Chaeyoung, Dahyun, Tyuzu, and A-Yeon pouring through it.

"Why, Officer Hansol," Jennie said in surprise.  "To what do we owe the pleasure?"

Hansol laughed nervously.  "I saw the lodge was dark and so I stopped in to be sure everything was okay."

"That was so kind of you," Jennie said, slurring her words a little bit.  "You must stay for dinner.  I insist."

As Jennie went behind the bar and started loading up a tray with bottles of beer, Lisa saw her chance to get her alone for a moment.  Slipping behind the bar, she kissed Jennie on the back of the neck.  Jennie jumped

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter