23.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

As Sana and Dahyun got out of the front of the van, Momo, Nayeon, and Tzuyu tumbled out of the back. "What happened?" Dahyun asked.

"We had a fire in the kitchen this morning," Jennie said. "Jisoo put it out, and probably saved the whole lodge, but I don't know how I'm going to feed you this weekend."

"Leave that to me," Chaeyoung said. "I'll call some of the restaurants around the valley, call in some favors, and arrange for catering."

Jennie looked up at her, surprised. "Do you really think you can do that?"

Chaeyoung nodded. "Restaurant people will always help each other out in a bind. I might not be owed enough favors to cover the whole weekend, but I can at least get us some good discounts."

Jennie nodded decisively. "Do whatever you have to do - our guests have to eat, and so do we."

Sana looked around. "So since the fire truck is still here, I'm guessing the fire just happened?"

Jennie nodded. "If you had shown up 15 minutes ago, you'd have seen Chaeyoung panicking because Jisoo was still in the basement."

Momo looked over at Jisoo. "Good job putting out the fire. That's impressive."

Jisoo shivered and laughed weakly. "Now that it's over, I can't believe I did it."

Nayeon nodded. "It's amazing what you can do when you have to. At dinner tonight, I'll tell you about how Momo saved some of our guests this year."

"Don't you dare," Momo said, narrowing her eyes at Nayoung.

"She has to now," Chaeyoung said. "We know there's a story, so we're gonna want to hear it."

Just then Jennie came back over. "The firefighters have given us the all clear to go back inside, so let's get our guests in out of the cold. Lisa, Sunmi, help with their luggage. Jisoo, Chaeyoung, start arranging for dinner. I'll make some phone calls to see when we can have our kitchen up and running again."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Chaeyoung and Jisoo went up to their room to start calling all the restaurants in her little black book.

"Let's see if we can start with lunch from Pentagon," Jisoo said.

"Sounds good," Chaeyoung agreed. "You give them a call and I'll start calling around for tonight's dinner."

They each pulled out their phones and started dialing. Several minutes later, they both hung up at the same time and looked at each other.

"Dinner's sorted," Chaeyoung said. "Is the crew at Pentagon going to be able to do lunch?"

"They will," Jisoo said, "but there's big news at Pentagon you should probably be aware of."

Chaeyoung finished writing the lunch and dinner arrangements in her notebook and looked up. "Big news? What happened?"

"Apparently Chef E'Dawn was dating the pastry chef," Jisoo said.

"I half expected it, seeing the way they interacted in the kitchen," Chaeyoung said.

"But that's not the big news," Jisoo said. "The big news is that their investors found out and fired both of them."

"E'Dawn and Hyuna got fired? For dating?"

Jisoo nodded. "Apparently they had the worst contract ever with their investors. The other chefs are keeping things going, but E'Dawn and Hyuna are gone."

Chaeyoung scratched her head. "I'm sure Hyuna will find a new position quickly, but I'm worried about E'Dawn - he's closer to the start of his career. Keep your ears open for any vacancies we might tell him about."

Jisoo nodded. "Will do. Now we've got to get started on tomorrow's meals. I'm thinking the Penguin for brunch."

"Sounds good," Chaeyoung said, "See if you can get them to do Monday's breakfast as well. Once we've got everything arranged through Monday night, we should go check with Jennie and see how much longer we'll be without our kitchen."

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

"I got in touch with the appliance store and the carpenter, and we can have the kitchen ready to go again in 3 days."

"That's not so bad," Chaeyoung said.

"Unfortunately," Jennie said, letting the word hang in the air a moment, "the three days won't start until Tuesday, so we're without a kitchen until next Friday."

"We can make it work," Chaeyoung said. "We can-"

Just then Jennie's phone rang. She looked at the screen and wrinkled her brow. "I'd better take this." Chaeyoung nodded and stepped away to give her some privacy.

A couple of minutes later, Jennie hung up her phone and rejoined Chaeyoung, her face aglow with delight.

"You'll never guess who that was," Jennie said.

Chaeyoung shook her head.

"Baek A-Yeon," Jennie said with a smile. "Apparently Tzuyu called and told her about out situation, and she was calling me to tel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter