32.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jennie never did come out to see the special lunch that Jisoo had made to show off the holiday recipes she'd created.  But when Lisa came out, she made a point of going to see it.

 

"Wow!," Lisa said, looking over the range of dishes on the table.  "You'd prepare all of this for one night?  You can do that?"

 

Jisoo nodded proudly.  "I can do it, and for no more money than last year's holiday dinner."

 

Lisa picked up a prawn and tasted it.  "This is delicious!" she said.

 

"It's much better when it's fresh," Chaeyoung said.  This was the closest any of the came to mentioning the very long - and judging by the redness of Lisa's eyes, very emotionally intense - conversation that Lisa and Jennie had just had.  Dahyun had raised her eyebrows questioningly, to which Lisa had just nodded, which left her no clearer than she'd been to start with about how the conversation had gone.

 

"Well," Lisa said, "Jennie's in no shape to come out right now, so I'm going to make the call:  This is our holiday dinner for this year.."

 

"Yes!"  Jisoo jumped up in excitement, and Chaeyoung caught her in a hug before she hit the ground.

 

Lisa smiled at them, then started heading for the mud room.  "I've got to go finish inspecting the cabins for the Tadashi executives.  I'll have the radio if you need me for anything.  Dahyun, you want to come with?"

 

Dahyun nodded and got up.  "Sure.  I can even help out if you need me to."

 

"I don't think I'll need that," Lisa said, "but I could certainly use the company, and I'm sure you've got questions."

 

Dahyun took one last bite of her fish.  "Sure.  Let's go.

 

 

Once the bread was in the oven, Jisoo set the timer and looked around the kitchen.  The lunch dishes were done, the bread was baking, the soup for dinner was on the stove.  Chaeyoung was standing at the prep table julienning a cabbage, her hands a blur.  Jisoo leaned back against the counter and watched her fiancee's artistry with the knife.  Once the cabbage was finished, though, Jisoo stopped Chaeyoung when she reached for an onion.  "I've got everything under control here," she said.  "Why don't you go check on Jennie?"

 

Chaeyoung looked up at her, her hand poised over the pile of onions.  "Are you sure?" she asked.

 

Jisoo nodded.  "Absolutely."  She stepped up and took Chaeyoung's knife from her hand, then grabbed her by the shoulder and steered her toward the door.  "We've already got enough vegetables chopped to see us through the end of the week, so there's really nothing else you can do to keep yourself busy down here, and you know you want to go check on Jennie."

 

Chaeyoung smiled at Jisoo.  "Have I told you recently how amazing you are?"

 

Jisoo laughed.  "Not since breakfast," she said, "but it never hurts to say it again."

 

"You're amazing," Chaeyoung said with a laugh.

 

"Don't you forget it," Jisoo said.  "I hope Jennie's doing okay."

 

Chaeyoung nodded, her face suddenly serious.  "I hope so too."

 

 

Jennie didn't respond to Chaeyoung knocking at her door, so Chaeyoung let herself in.  As she'd expected, Jennie was in the bed, completely covered with the blankets.  Chaeyoung sat down on the edge of the bed and rubbed Jennie's shoulder.

 

"You can't stay under here all day, you know," Chaeyoung said.

 

Jennie poked her head out from under the blanket and looked up at Chaeyoung.  "Says who?  I'm the boss, and I can give myself the afternoon off when I need it."  Her eyes were even redder than Lisa's had been, and she was sniffling.

 

Chaeyoung rolled her eyes.  "Okay, you can stay under the blankets all day, but you really shouldn't.  I don't know what happened between you and Lisa today, but the rest of us still need you.  Jisoo fixed her special holiday dinner for lunch today so you could approve it."

 

Jennie's jaw dropped.  "That was today?"  When Chaeyoung nodded, Jennie literally facepalmed.  "I can't believe I missed that!  Well, if you think it's good enough, I'll give my approval."

 

"Lisa already approved it," Chaeyoung said, "but it'd mean the world to Jisoo if you'd go down to the kitchen, let her go over the recipes with you, and give your approval to her personally."

 

Jennie nodded.  "Where's Lisa now?"

 

"Out inspecting the cabins.  Dahyun's keeping her company.  I'm not needed in the kitchen, so I came to check on you.  So what do you need to do right now?  Go out for coffee?  Go for a walk?  Go throw pointy things at targets?"

 

"Pointy things at targets?" Jennie asked, confusion written on her face.

 

"Darts," Chaeyoung said.  "When I get stressed out, I go play darts and its just violent enough that I feel better."

 

"That sounds like a good idea," Jennie said, smiling weakly.  "Let's go."

 

 

"So," Dahyun prompted when ten minutes had passed without Lisa talking, "what happened?"

 

"I talked to her," Lisa said, pausing from counting the towels in the linen closet.  "I stayed calm and laid out the reasons, just like you and I had rehearsed.  And she went to pieces, just like I was afraid she would."

 

"It can't have been too bad," Dahyun said.  "I didn't hear any yelling."

 

Lisa shook her head.  "It wasn't that kind of breakdown.  The entire second half of the conversation happened with her under a blanket.  She still hadn't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter