34.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tzuyu and A-Yeon were sitting in the audience at the police auction, waiting for the office supplies and personal electronics to end and the vehicles to start.  Tzuyu had showed up extra early so she could be part of the walk-around before the auction started.  She'd picked out the truck she wanted and she knew how much she was willing to spend; now it was just a matter of waiting for it to come to auction - and hoping that no one else was willing to pay more for it.  She'd even called her insurance agent and arrange to start insurance as soon as the auction was over, so she could drive it home today.

"Aren't you going to tell me which truck you've decided to bid on?" A-Yeon asked.

Tzuyu shook her head.  "Nope.  I want it to be a surprise."

"Well, you're definitely succeeding at that!" A-Yeon said, laughing.  "You haven't even given me a hint of which one you might be looking at."

"And I'm not going to," Tzuyu said.  "If I picked a good truck, I want to be able to take all the credit.  And if I'm picking a lemon, I want to own that experience too.  But I'm pretty sure I've picked a good truck."

A-Yeon paused for a moment to take this in.  "I can respect that.  I forget what it must have been like for you, being the maknae of such a large group."  After a brief pause, she changed the subject.  "So how are things at the lodge?"

Tzuyu took a deep breath and let it out slowly.  "I don't know how Jennie deals with it.  The Tadashi people are so demanding.  If they say 'We'll be back from skiing at 10:00 for hot cocoa,' they show up at exactly 10:00, and they get upset if they have to wait until 10:01 for their cocoa."

A-Yeon nodded sympathetically.  "Yeah, big corporate groups can be like that.  At least Jennie knew ahead of time that they'd be like this."

"Oh, Jennie had everything prepared.  If I thought things at the lodge ran smoothly before, that's nothing compared to how smoothly she's got them running now.  It's like clockwork.

"After we close the bar tonight, do you want to stay at my place instead of going back to the lodge?"

"Yes!  I was hoping you'd ask me that.  I-"  Whatever Tzuyu was about to say was cut short by the auctioneer announcing the first vehicles coming up for bids.

"Lot 53V.  A 1992 Ford F-150 pickup in green with green accents.  And please remember that all vehicles purchased at this auction come with a 30-day warranty from Han's Automotive.  Now, can we start the bidding at 1,000,000 Won?"

Tzuyu immediately raised her paddle, as did a couple of other people scattered around the room.  The auctioneer kept asking for higher bids, which he kept getting, though from a rapidly dwindling number of bidders.  Finally, there was only one bidder left.

"Going once.  Going twice.  SOLD! to the lady in the third row for 6.7 million!  May I have your name miss?"

"Chou Tzuyu," Tzuyu responded with a smile.

"All right, Ms. Chou.  I've entered you in the computer - you can pay for your truck at any of the stations in the back whenever you're ready.  Though I hope you'll stay around and bid some more."

Tzuyu laughed.  "Thanks, but I only need one new truck today.  Good luck with the rest of the auction!"

Tzuyu took A-Yeon's hand and led her to one of the desks in the back of the room.  In a surprisingly short amount of time, Tzuyu had handed over her money, signed a lot of paperwork, and been handed the keys to her new truck.

"Now you'll need insurance before you can drive it off," the officer behind the desk said.

"Already taken care of," Tzuyu assured him, showing him the fax from her insurance company.

"Okay, then.  That's everything.  Enjoy your

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter