36.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When it started raining at 9 p.m., Dahyun stepped into the nearest convenience store, bought an umbrella, and carried on with her search. In 15 hours she'd made 2-1/2 circuits of all of Sana's favorite spots. But a lot of them weren't open during the day, so hopefully now that it was getting dark and places were opening Sana would come up. All of which was assuming she was still in Seoul. And that nothing bad had happened to her. And that. . . Well, a lot of assumptions, but it wouldnt do to assume otherwise, because then Sana could be anywhere. She could have hopped a plane and been literally anywhere in the world by now. But Dahyun had a gut feeling that Sana hadn't done that. She kept believing and hoping that she'd find her.

Dahyun kept walking. She scanned the faces around her, hoping she'd see Sana. She turned the corner and, through a gap in the crowd, thought she saw Sana. She pushed toward her silently cursing every person who got in her way. Finally she got clear of the crowd and spotted Sana. She was sitting on the front steps of Special Bar, which apparently hadn't opened for the night yet. Sana was looking the other way, but from the sliver of her face that Dahyun could see, she could tell she'd been crying.

Sana turned her head and spotted Dahyun. Her body tensed up like she wanted to run, but she stayed frozen to the spot. Moving quickly, Dahyun closed the difference between them and held the umbrella to cover Sana too.

"What are you doing here?" Sana asked. 

"Isn't it obvious?" Dahyun asked, grabbing Sana's hand and pulling her to her feet.

Sana shook her head. "No, it's not. Why aren't you with Chaeyoung?"

"Well," Dahyun said, "besides the fact that I'm looking for you, there's the fact that she left me and went back to Momo and Jeongyeon.

Dahyun looked closely at Dahyun's face, as if she could see the truth of her words written there. "Really? Your not just messing with me so you can bring me back and tell Jihyo you found me."

"Really," Dahyun said, starting to walk up the sidewalk and tugging Sana's hand so she'd come along.

Sana looked over a Dahyun. "What are you fighting about this time?"

Dahyun shook her head. "That's the weird part. We're not fighting at all. She just calmly looked at me over breakfast and said 'This isn't what I want. I'm leaving and I'm going back to Momo and Jeongyeon, if they'll have me.' I tried talking to her as she packed up her stuff, but no good. As she opened the door to leave, I said 'Be sure this is what you want, because if you walk out that door, you're not coming back.' And she looked back at me and said 'I'm sure, Dahyun. Surer than I've ever been of anything in my life. You and I had some good times together, but we also hurt a lot of people, and I don't want to do that anymore. I don't want to be that person anymore. Be smart, Dahyun. Go find Sana, beg her to take you back, and try to be good to her.'"

Sana scowled. "And it took you almost 4 days to find me."

Dahyun shook her head. "It took me less than one day to find you. It took me 3 days to know that you were gone. Three days I spent drinking and partying and flirting with any girl who looked halfway interesting, and discovering that none of it would fill that empty space inside me."

Sana pulled Dahyun to the side, under the awning of a shoe store. "I spend 3 days doing the same thing - it's a wonder we didn't run into each other. But yeah, I was doing the same thing, and the whole time I couldn't stop thinking about you. I know it's stupid, but I still want to be with you. I'll beg you to take me back if I have to, but please, take me."

Dahyun shook her head. "You don't have to beg, Sana. If anything, I should be the one begging you. You're far better than I deserve, and I don't know why you want to be with me, but I'm so, so glad that you do."

And with those declarations, they both started crying. Sana reached out for Dahyun, and Dahyun stepped forward and took Sana in her arms. They held each other tightly, tears running down their faces. Just then, Dahyun's phone rang, the special ring that meant it was Jihyo. She didn't make any move to answer it, until Sana said "You'd better get that, let boss lady know you found me so she can stop worrying."

Dahyun let go of Sana with one arm so that she could take her phone out of her pocket and answer it.  "Hello? . . . Yeah, I found her. . . No, just now. . . No, I think-" she paused for a moment and looked at Sana- "I think she's going to be all right. Now, I've got to go - I've got to take care of Sana."

After she hung up her phone and put it away, Sana looked at Dahyun and asked "Does taking care of Sana include getting me something to eat? I just realized I haven't eaten all day."

Just then Dahyun's stomach growled. "I just realized I haven't either," she said with a laugh. She looked around. "There's a good fried chicken place around the corner from here. How that that sound?"

Sana blushed, and squeezed Dahyun's hand tighter. "As long as you're there with me," she said, "anything sounds good." She laughed and covered her face with her hand. "I can't believe I just said that. I sound like the worst sort of drama heroine."

Dahyun recaptured Sana's hand, leaned forward, and kissed her. "You sound perfect to me," she whispered.

 

 

Monday morning before breakfast, Lisa went down to the kitchen. Chaeyoung was singing softly to herself as she mixed up the batter for her famous French toast.

"Well, someone's in a good mood!" Lisa exclaimed.

Chaeyoung smiled at her. "I really am, and I hope that you are too."

Lisa took a step closer and lowered her voice. "I hope you're still in a good mood after what I'm about to ask you."

Chaeyoung laughed. "The way I feel today, nothing could bring me down."

Lisa smiled and took another step closer. "What if I asked," she asked quietly, "if I asked you if you and Jisoo could fix a cake and snacks for a baby shower? By lunchtime?"

Chaeyoung looked up at the ceiling in thought. "How many guests?"

Lisa shrugged. "No more than a dozen."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter