37.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lisa nodded. "When. Just because I'm not ready now doesn't mean I'll never be ready."

Jennie smiled as she put her phone back in her purse. "That means a lot to me. Ever since my parents' accident, I can't help thinking that if something happens to me before I have kids, that's it - that's the end of the Kim family."

Lisa reached out and took Jennie's hand. "I never knew."

Jennie smiled at her, her eyes glistening. "How could you? It's not like it's something I've ever talked about."

Lisa squeezed Jennie's hand. "I don't know when I'll be ready, but when I am ready, I can't think of anyone I'd want to have kids with besides you."

Jennie leaned over and hugged Lisa. "And I can't think of anyone I'd want to have kids with but you."

'Okay then," Lisa said, taking a sip of her coffee. "We're in agreement, then."

Jennie reached out and picked up her coffee, then took a sip. "They make the best coffee here."

Lisa laughed. "There you go again, changing subjects at the drop of a hat. It's enough to give me whiplash."

After they finished their coffee, they put their coats on and started walking back to the lodge, holding hands and talking quietly. They were about halfway there when Lisa slipped on a patch of ice, almost pulling Jennie down with her. She tried to get up, but when she went to put any weight on her left foot, she cried out in pain.

Jennie pulled out her phone. "I'll call Jisoo and Chaeyoung and get one of them to drive us to the hospital."

Lisa shook her head. "No, I'll be fine." She tried again to put her left foot down, only to cry out in pain and snatch it back up."

"That's the foot you broke last season," Jennie said. "You've got to have it looked at."

After a third unsuccessful attempt to put her foot down, Lisa gave in. "Go ahead, call the lodge."

When Jennie got off the phone, Lisa started ranting. "Arrrgggh! I feel so stupid! I saw the ice, and I was so busy trying to be sure that you didn't slip and fall that I slipped and fell myself."

Jennie caught Lisa up in a hug, holding her steady and blocking some of the wind from hitting her. "That's so sweet. I just- no one's ever done anything like that for me."

Lisa hugged Jennie back. "I'd do anything for you, but I'd rather 'anything' not involve breaking bones."

Jennie chuckled softly. "I think we're both in agreement about that."

After a moment's silence, Lisa asked "What about the lodge? How are we going to get everything done if I'm back in a cast again?"

Jennie kissed Lisa on the cheek and then pulled her in tighter. "Don't you worry about that. We got it all done last season when we didn't have Sunmi to help. We'll be fine."

"I can still work the desk," Lisa said.

"If you feel up to it," Jennie said, "but you don't have to.-"

"But I want to," Lisa said. "I want to feel like I'm pulling my weight around the lodge."

"Pulling your weight?" Jennie scoffed. "Who was it who organized a baby shower in an hour and a half this morning? You're amazing, and I don't know how I would have kept the lodge running without you."

What ever Lisa was about to say was interrupted by Jisoo pulling up next to them and honking the horn. "Get a room, you two!" she called out.

"Yeah, an emergency room!" Lisa called back.

They all laughed as Jisoo and Jennie helped Lisa into the passenger seat. Then Jennie climbed into the Kia's tiny back seat and Jisoo got back behind the wheel. "Next stop, Valley General!" she announced with a laugh.

 

 

When Sunmi got back to the lodge from her mom's house, she found the front door locked. Perplexed, she keyed in the code and went inside. Looking around, she didn't see anyone, nor did she hear anyone. "Hello?" she called out.

"Downstairs," she heard Chaeyoung respond from the kitchen.

Relocking the front door, Sunmi went down to the kitchen. Chaeyoung was in the process of filleting and boning some fish for that night's dinner.

"Where is everyone?" Sunmi asked.

Pulling, the last bone from the final piece of fish, Chaeyoung put the fillets into a bowl of marinade she had prepared and stuck them in the fridge. "Lisa slipped on ice and broke her foot again, so Jisoo and Jennie are taking her to the ER."

"Oh, no! Poor Lisa!" Sunmi exclaimed.

"On the bright side, I bet you'll be able to pick up some extra shifts while she's in a cast," Chaeyoung said as she wiped down the prep table.

"Leave it to you to be practical about all thi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter