35.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The group at the table in the back corner were starting to get rowdy.  When Tzuyu told them that the bartender had cut them off, they handled it without about as much grace as you might expect - literally none at all.  As Tzuyu turned to leave them to their griping, one of the guys grabbed her and pulled her into his lap.  She threw her elbow back, hitting him in the ribs and knocking the breath out of him.  As she stood up, she grabbed his thumb and wrenched his arm around behind his back, pulling him to his feet in the process.  The whole club fell silent as a marched a guy who was easily 6 inches taller than her over to the door and out of the club.  When she turned around, she saw that the bouncers were escorting the rest of that table out and A-Yeon was coming out from behind the bar and headed toward her. 

"Are you okay?" A-Yeon asked, her concern written all over her face.

"I'm fine," Tzuyu said, smiling down at her girlfriend.  "Jihyo insisted we all take self-defense courses, because you never know what might happen when you're out on a trip.  That's the first time I've ever had to use it, though."  As the adrenaline left Tzuyu's system, she shuddered and seemed to collapse in on herself a little bit.

Recognizing what she was seeing, A-Yeon called out to the bartenders on duty.  "Guys, you're in charge for a while.  Make sure the bouncers are on full alert.  I'll be in the office if you need me."  

Putting her arm around Tzuyu's waist, A-yeon lead her into the office.  Once she had shut the door behind them, she pushed aside a pile of papers to make room on the sofa for Tzuyu to sit down.  As Tzuyu got settled on the couch, A-yeon pulled a bottle of soju and a pair of shot glasses out of her desk drawer.  Filling the glasses, she handed one to Tzuyu before downing her own.  Tzuyu stared at the glass for a moment before seeming to recognize what it was and downing her own drink.

"That was dangerous, wasn't it?" Tzuyu asked as she handed the glass back to A-Yeon.

A-Yeon refilled both their glasses before sitting next to Tzuyu on the couch.  "It was," she said, handing Tzuyu her glass again.  "I'm so glad you're okay."

Tzuyu drank half of her drink, then smiled weakly at A-Yeon.  "It wasn't until it was all over that I realized I could have been in danger."

"It's all my fault," A-Yeon said.  "I should have been paying more attention to table assigments.  That guy's caused trouble here before - I should never have had you covering his table."

Tzuyu shook her head.  "No, when I'm working as a waitress here, I want you to treat me that same as any other waitress.  I-"

But whatever else Tzuyu had been about to say was cut off by a knock at the office door.  A-Yeon opened the door to see Min-Gyu, her head bouncer, along with a very nervous-looking man.

"This gentleman," Min-Gyu said, "wants to talk to Miss Tzuyu for a second."

A-Yeon looked inquiringly over her shoulder at Tzuyu, who nodded, put her drink down on the edge of A-Yeon's desk, and came over to the door.  The nervous-looking man handed her a bouquet of flowers before executing a deep bow.  "My friends and I want to apologize for Seong-Hyeon's behavior this evening," he said.

A-Yeon looked around the club.  "I don't see Seong-Hyeon," she said.  "Didn't he come with you to make this apology?"'

The nervous-looking man shook his head as he bowed to A-Yeon.  "No ma'am," he said, "Seong-Hyeon left as soon as he was thrown out of the club.  The rest of us were embarrassed by his behavior and wanted to try to make things right."

A-Yeon looked at Tzuyu, then at the nervous-looking man, then finally at Min-Gyu.  "The rest of the group are welcome back tomorrow, but Seong-Hyeon is barred from the club until you hear otherwise from me."

Min-Gyu nodded, then looked at the nervous-looking man, who bowed one final time to Tzuyu before heading for the door.

"Thanks, Min-Gyu," A-Yeon said as she closed the closed the office door.

 

The Yamada party were checking out.  Jennie was relieved that the lodge's most stressful weekend of the season was about to be over, but she stayed on high alert, knowing that the weekend wouldn't be over until she got a text from the airport's website telling her that the Yamadas' plane had taken off.

Jennie had carefully timed giving Sunmi a break so that she could take of the Yamadas' check-out personally without looking like she was trying to take care of the Yamadas' check-out personally.  The senior Mr. Yamada had come to the desk to settle the bill.

Jennie bowed.  "Yamada-san.  I hope your stay was satisfactory?"

Yamada-san chuckled.  "Satisfactory?  You're selling yourself shorm, Ms. Kim.  Your lodge was excellent, as always."  Gracing her with a rare smile, he turned back to scrutinizing the bill.

Jennie basked in this praise, knowing from contract negotiations with him how difficult Yamada-san was to please.

"Well," he finally said, sweeping the printout of the bill into some semblance of order, "everything seems to be in order here."  He reached into his coat pocket and pulled out his checkbook.  Taking a fountain pen out of his shirt pocket, he started filling out the check, his handwriting some of the most beautiful Jennie had ever seen, calligraphic without being illegible.  As he hand her the check with a slight bow - so slight it could have been missed if one didn't know to look for it - he said "I'll have my secretary call you tomorrow to arrange next year's reservations."  As Jennie assured him that would be fine, he reached back into his coat and pulled out a stack of red envelopes.  Putting them down on the counter, he slid them toward Jennie.  "These are for your staff.  Will you do me the favor of distributing them, with my thanks?"

"I'd be honored," Jennie said, at the same time that Yamada-san's eldest son came over and said "Father, the cars are here.  Are you finished?"

After they all said their good-byes and the Yamadas had started toward the front door, Jennie noticed that Yamada-san had left his pen on the counter.  Scooping it up, she rushed after them.  "Yamada-san," she called softly as she came up behind them.  As Yamada-san turned to see what she wanted, she bowed and held the pen out to him.  "You left your pen at the desk," she said.

Taking a step toward her,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter