40.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sana woke up suddenly when a drop of water splashed into her eye. She looked around - it took her a moment to remember where she was. Dahyun had built them a snow hut the night before, then put spruce boughs down on the floor of it to keep them off the ground, then they'd wrapped themselves in the space blanket that was included in the emergency kit, cuddled up and gone to sleep. Now it was apparently the next morning, and it apparently was warm enough in the snow hut that the ceiling was starting to melt.

"Dahyun, wake up," Sana said, gently shaking Dahyun.

Dahyun woke up with a yawn. "I had the weirdest dream last night. We-" And then she noticed the ceiling of the snow hut a few inches from her face. "It wasn't a dream, was it?"

Sana shook her head. "Nope. We went out so you could show me where you and Lisa got lost in the woods, and then we got lost in the woods. The snow hut you made kept us warm overnight, though, so now hopefully we can find our way back to the lodge."

They climbed out of the snow hut, becoming acutely aware of how much colder it was outside. Dahyun reached in and grabbed the emergency blanket, which she promptly rolled up and stuffed back in the backpack.

"If only we had some breakfast, this would be a wonderful day," Sana said.

Dahyun opened the outside pocket of the backpack. "I think I remember Lisa showing us some survival bars in here. . . Yes! Here they are." She handed one of the bars to Sana, then opened the other and started eating it herself.

Sana unwrapped her survival bag, took a bite, and made a face.

"Well, no," Dahyun said, "it's not as good as Park Chaeyoung's French toast, but we're going to need the energy, so eat up."

They forced down the bars, then got out from under the tree and surveyed the landscape.

"Look!" Sana exclaimed, pointing. "It must have been in a shadow yesterday, but there's a purple star!"

"Yes!" Dahyun jumped up and down and waved her arms with excitement. "Now all we have to do is follow the trail and we'll be back at the lodge in no time!"

 

 

"Thanks for agreeing to help out, A-Yeon," Jennie said as all the members of the search party were getting bundled up and double-checking the contents of their survival packs.

A-Yeon waved it off. "It's no big deal - nothing anyone in the valley wouldn't have done for you."

'I don't know about that," Jennie said. "I'm just glad you and Tzuyu are here."

"So where do we go?" Tzuyu asked.

Jennie called everyone to gather around the map of the area around the lodge that she had posted on the mudroom wall. "The purple star trail is more or less egg-shaped, like this," she said, outlining the trail with her hand. Tzuyu and A-Yeon, you'll go this way and just follow the blazes. Chaeyoung and Jisoo, you know the land around here better than they do, so you two will go through the trail backward. And since G-Dragon brought his snowmobile, he and I will go straight up the middle."

"Each team has a pack with food for four, so you can eat when you need it and still be sure of having food to give give to Sana and Dahyun." Chaeyoung said as Jisoo handed out the food packs.

"Any question?" Jennie asked. Since there were none, she said, "Okay, let's get started. Everybody keep your radio on channel 22 so whoever finds them can let everybody else know." As Chaeyoung, Jisoo, A-Yeon, and Tzuyu headed out the door, Jennie turned to G-Dragon. "Can you go get the snowmobile ready? I'll be right out - I want to talk to Lisa for a second before I go."

"

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter