39.

Second Winter at Fire Lodge
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung and Sunmi held the base of the stepladder as Jisoo put the star on top of the tree. Chaeyoung had wanted to be the one to put the star up, because the sight of Jisoo that far up the ladder made her nervous, as clumsy as Jisoo could be, but Jisoo had insisted on kai-bai-bo for the honor, then won, so there was nothing else to do. Even so, Chaeyoung's heart was in her heart until Jisoo was safely back on the group. 

"It looks great!" Jennie said. "Probably the best tree that Fire Lodge has ever had."

Chaeyoung mimed being shocked. "Wow! That's high praise indeed - I remember how great the trees were when your mom was in charge!"

Jennie smiled. "Maybe it's because it's my tree, in my lodge, that I put up with my staff, I think-"

There was a knock at the door.

As Jennie went to answer the door, Sunmi quietly moved behind the front desk so she could reach the phone and the tazer if she needed to.

"Dahyun! Sana!" Jennie moved to the side so that their friends could get in out of the cold. "I thought you weren't coming until tomorrow!"

"We were supposed to wait until tomorrow," Sana said, "but someone got all excited and insisted we leave early!"

"Oh, like you weren't eager to get out of Seoul and take some well-deserved time-off!" Dahyun laughed.

"Don't you have a ton of clients around the holidays?" Lisa asked.

"Oh sure we do," Dahyun said, "but we made a policy when we started the agency that everyone would get at least 3 days off every December. That way even though we all work on Christmas, we still have time near there to have a holiday celebration of some sort."

"I wish we had known you were coming tonight," Jennie said, "we'd have waited and let you decorate the Christmas tree with us!"

"Oh well," Sana pouted. "But you know how you could make it up to us? By having Jisoo make some of that amazing hot chocolate she makes!"

Jennie laughed. "I think we can arrange that. Chaeyoung?"

Chaeyoung nodded, then turned to Jisoo. "You heard the lady - hot chocolate all around!"

"Yes, chef!" Jisoo said with a smile and wink before she turned and headed down to the kitchen.

Jennie turned to Sunmi. "Can you help me get our guests' luggage in?"

Before she had a chance to answer, Chaeyoung piped up "No, she can't. But I can. Let's go."

In less and minute, Jennie and Chaeyoung were back with Dahyun and Sana's luggage. 

"I had no idea it was raining so hard!" Jennie said as she brushed snow off her sweater. "You really drove out here in that?"

"Sure! They keep the roads well-plowed, so it's just a matter of slowing down a little and keeping the windshield as clear as we can," Dahyun said.

"If you say so," Jennie said. "I live here and I wouldn't be out in a night like this if I didn't have to."

Just then the sound of the theme from The Godfather rolled in from outside. Looking out the window, they could see a pair of headlights bouncing up and down.

"What on earth is that?" Sana asked.

"Looks like Tzuyu got her truck out of impound," Lisa said.

At the same time that Tzuyu came in through the front door, Jisoo came up from the kitchen with a pitcher of hot chocolate and a tray full of mugs. "Good thing I made more than enough," Jisoo said. Looking at Tzuyu, she asked "Is A-Yeon coming over tonight?"

Tzuyu shook her head. "She's got a packed house at the bar tonight. I was lucky that she found two minutes to spend with me when I stopped by on my way home."

"Her loss," Jisoo said as she started pouring the hot chocolate.

Soon they all had mugs of hot chocolate and were sitting around the lobby looking at the Christmas tree and chatting.

"So Chaeyoung," Dahyun said, "have you and Jisoo given any thought to your honeymoon?"

Chaeyoung nodded. "We're undecided. It's a choice between spending five days on Jeju Island or three days in Tokyo."

Dahyun shook her head. "That's no good. You need to set aside ten days for your honeymoon."

"But," Chaeyoung protested, "we don't have enough money to travel to ten days."

"Just trust," Dahyun said, "you'll need ten days. I can't say anything more without getting in trouble. Just trust me on this."

Chaeyoung and Jisoo looked at Sana, who nodded. 

"Oh-kay," Chaeyoung said, looking from Dahyn to Jisoo and back, "looks like we'll set aside ten days."

"So mysterious!" Jisoo said. "I can't wait to find out! Can't you at least give us a clue?"

Dahyun shook her head. "No can do. Jihyo says we can't tell you everything until the wedding day. I just got her to agree that I could tell you that much so you wouldn't book yourself into some second-rate honeymoon."

"Well, thanks for the warning," Chaeyoung said. "We'll be eagerly awaiting the big reveal."

"Trust me - you'll love it," Sana said.

Jisoo reached out and took Chaeyoung's hand. "I'm sure we will," she said.

 

 

Dahyun and Sana were lying in bed, trying to decide if they wanted to get dressed and go up to the lodge for breakfast or not when there was a knock at the door.

"What?" Dahyun got up, quickly t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter