Thirty-Three

My light in the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---Chapter Thirty-Three---



When Chaeyoung finally managed to talk with Jimin, he pretty much echoed Junhoe's positive words; I'm sure everything will be fine. Famous last words, is more like it. The line that a character says in a movie before the zombies attack.

She's been rewatching Train to Busan lately, so this comparison is the first one in her mind. Except that in her case, it's a psychotic kidnapper, not zombies.

So even if Jimin is enthused about their schedule together, Chaeyoung still feels anxious as the van she's currently sitting in passes countless cars on the highway, getting closer and closer to the shoot's location.

A chic and modern themed shoot, she's been told. At any other time, she might have been excited about this opportunity, but right now, she's simply worried.

Worried something will go wrong.

Because so many scenarios could happen. And she's almost certain Jimin's carefree attitude is an act to try and ease her mind. He didn't sound any different on the phone when they talked about their shoot together, but Chaeyoung's sixth sense could tell.

She hates that he worries, hates that he feels the need to put a front of positivity for her, but her mind is also more at ease knowing he'll be there too.

He sent her a text moments ago, announcing that he's already arrived at the shoot location.

Her own team, spread in two vans, have increased in numbers, as promised by YG. Three bodyguards are in the same van as her, along with her manager, with another one in the other van occupied by the rest of her team.

But in the end, the number of bodyguards don't matter. Chaeyoung feels betrayed that her company is sending her out while her kidnapper is still at large. Maybe she's too naive, but she'd hoped that her safety would come before money.

How silly of her to think so.

The van finally comes to a stop before she can dwell deeper into negativity.

They've arrived.

Chaeyoung takes a deep breath, repeating words of encouragement in her head as she takes a look outside the window. A blindingly white building, two-stories high and almost windowless, stands close to where the van is parked, with two men dressed in black standing uninvitingly in front of the entrance.

She can do this.

Her hand doesn't even have time to reach the door handle, it hangs uselessly in the air as the door is brusquely yanked open by one of her bodyguards, who gestures for her to move forward.  

It's with a tentative foot that she steps outside, eyes darting around the area.

She feels like some hotshot president, coming out of the van and stepping into the building with her entourage in a tight circle around her, all tall, imposingly-built, and sunglasses-wearing men, without a hint of a smile on their faces.

She bits on her lower lip all the way, eyes flying all around them in extreme paranoia. Every remote corner is suspicious, every distant window has possible hidden eyes trained on her.

Her heart is about to explode out of her chest, and nothing is calming her down.

Not the number of people around her, no matter how competent they all seem. Not the thought of seeing Jimin soon, not even when she finally reaches inside the building without incident.

Thinking about Jimin helps a little though, as he always does in some way or another, but she still feels sweaty and uncomfortable the deeper they walk into the building.

They stop in front of a room, one of her security detail going inside as one of the others informs her he's going to inspect inside first before she can step in.

It would've brought giggles out of her any other time, but right now, giggling is the last thing she wants to do. She can only appreciate their professionalism and the seriousness they put into their current assignment, aka her.

Maybe she'll be able to pull this off after all.

As soon as the man returns with a stiff nod, they step inside and the first thing Chaeyoung does is scan the room for Jimin.

He's easy to spot, standing in the middle of the room. He's watching as the crew put the finishing touches on the set, the photographer of the shoot pointing and directing on the side. He's surrounded by his team who are fussing over him, one of them tugging at his clothes, another with hands in his hair. But it's like he doesn't notice them.

She has to repress the urge to run to him and jump in his arms, because what a scandal that would cause, and usually that thought would make her smile, but it only darkens her mood that she can't act on her feelings.

She watches as his head turns in her direction and his eyes find hers instantly. He smiles what others would consider a friendly smile, but she reads the worry in his eyes as he scans her from head to toe.

She barely slept, and she knows that the makeup artist will most definitively internally about the extra work and time she'll need to conceal all traces of tiredness from her face, but she couldn't close her eyes, no matter how many times she willed herself to try.

Nevertheless, Chaeyoung tries to pretend that she's fine, that she's totally in the mood to play in front of the camera and wear whatever expressions they ask of her.

The stylist's team get her ready in an efficient manner, arranging the clothes on her while her hairdresser works on her hair. They've put her in tight white pants, with red boots on her feet and an off-shoulder black shirt, a large waist belt decorating the look.

She likes this style. While she usually prefers baggier pants, this pair does make her legs appear longer, helped with the slight platform of her boots. Her hair is tied in a high ponytail and the hairdresser is currently adding some hairclips with tiny dangling silver chains to complete the look. The makeup artist previously told her she's going for a smokey eye look, and Chaeyoung wishes she could be more excited as it's not a style she's often given. It's frustrating that she can't enjoy it because of him.

He always ruins all the good things in her life ever since that day.

Her team works fast while she broods and as soon as she's ready, they start the shoot.

Surprisingly, it goes well. She must be a better actress than she thought with the photographer shouting praises and compliments her way at her facial expressions and poses.

Not good enough though because she spies from the corner of her eyes how Jimin keeps throwing her worried looks, hopefully discreetly enough that she alone notices them.

It's only after the first round of their shoot, after they've both changed outfits and hairstyles, and are waiting for the staff to ready the new set that they have an opportunity to chat, with their managers hovering close by.

They don't dare touch, don't dare smile, but his eyes shine with tenderness and love.

"You're doing good," he praises softly after making sure their managers are out of earshot, even if they both most definitively know something is going on between them. Jimin's manager drove them for their weekend away after all, and hers plotted to get him inside the Blackpink dorm not too long ago.

The fact that Yang Hyun Suk never demanded her presence in his office is proof enough that her manager is still on her side.

"It helps that you're here," she whispers. "But I'll be happy when it's over," she grimaces, throwing a look at her bodyguards who are standing at different spots inside the room, with one near the door, at attention every time it opens.

He moves as if to hug her, only to stop himself as her widening eyes remind him where they are. His mouth tightens in a line of dissatisfaction, his hands sliding in the pocket of his jacket and fingers flexing at their inability to touch her. "I wish we could hang out after," he says, his gaze lowering to the ground to hide his frustration.

"Yeah..." she whispers. "I miss you."

Texting and face-timing are all good, but she wants to cuddle and see his smile from up-close and kiss and make out.

"We're ready for you," one of the staff tells them in passing and they begrudgingly follow him after sharing a last look.

The shoot then continues without interruptions, and Chaeyoung is almost relaxed by the end, has almost forgotten what's happening in the real world, lost in this the make-believe one they built for the shoot.

They then need another change of set and clothes, for the last scene which will display a more 'high society soirée' look.

By now, she's lost most of her apprehension and is even, dare she say, having fun.

Before becoming an idol, Chaeyoung never thought she would like shoots so much. Even as a trainee, she never thought she would one day end up on the front page of a magazine. But trying out new clothes on, especially clothes she usually wouldn't look twice in a shop, can be rather fun. And playing the role of someone else in front of a camera has grown on her.

Posing with Jimin is an extra bonus.

A delicious bonus she would enjoy more in different circumstances.

"You look different with dark eye makeup," her manager says as the makeup artist applies a few finish touches before stepping away.

"ier?" Chaeyoung waggles her eyebrow, her manager chuckling at her antics.

"It's good that you can still joke."

Chaeyoung nods, but what else can she do? She doesn't want to worry all the people around her by being a paranoid scaredy-cat with no sense of humour.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter