Thirty-Two

My light in the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

---Chapter Thirty-Two---

 

 

One of her worst nightmares came to life.

If she weren't a Kpop idol, Chaeyoung would barricade herself in the dorms and never come out until they catch him.

And as much as possible, she doesn’t go out until absolutely necessary. Because no matter how much she wants to remain inside, her job and obligations won’t let her do as she wishes. Her therapist also insisted to her about how unhealthy that sort of thinking was, that cloistering herself from the outside world wasn’t the solution.

Like hell I’m going to risk it, she thought, without answering her during their last session, where she hasn’t spoken much, just like in the beginning. Her therapist still tried until the very end, showed no discouragement over her patient’s lack of communication.

Chaeyoung did feel sorry for her attitude, but she won’t budge on this matter.

Safety before anything else.

Knowing that he's somewhere out there is terrifying, and it’s all she can think about. She can’t ‘go through her life like she normally would’.

Needless to say, she hasn’t been able to sleep much since then.

In response to the possible threat, YG raised security around their dorm and the company building, and also increased the number of bodyguards that follow them around. It somehow helps to know that her company takes her safety seriously, but her paranoia still has completely taken control of her life.

And to her terrified mind, these measures don’t feel enough.

The only safe place is inside the dorm. The moment she steps foot outside, he could still find a way to get her.

At this point, only her members' presence saves her from going insane.

They say he had outside help. The vehicle transporting him from his temporary cell to the courtroom had an accident; another car lost control and rammed into the police vehicle on the driver’s side, killing the driver and causing a severe head injury to his partner sitting on the passenger seat.

A black SUV then suddenly pulled up near the two cars and someone then came out, quickly helping him out, assisted by the man that drove the first car. Then the three men hurriedly got back into the accomplice’s SUV, taking off immediately, and the traffic camera lost quickly sight of the car.

It sounds so elaborate. Hearing that story had only served to put her on edge even more. Not only does he have help, but he has competent help.

He could be anywhere, plotting who knows what, but somehow Chaeyoung knows he's close, waiting for the perfect opportunity to grab her again.

And there’s not a damn thing she can do about it. She’s completely powerless.

The police officer who shared the story with her and the prosecutors told them they were doing all they can to find him, but somehow, that sounded more like a rehearsed line than a promise.

Although one of the prosecutors then said to her as they were leaving that since a cop died, they would probably deploy more resources than they normally would.

Chaeyoung found the comment depressing, but if it motivates them...

"Chaeyoung, honey," Jisoo approaches carefully.

They're always careful these days, always keeping an eye on her, always talking softly to her as if she were a wild animal, and handling her with care as if she would break down into millions of pieces like the most fragile porcelain vase.

Just like before.

It's like she's gone back in time.

"I asked the management team, but they say they can’t postpone the CF shoot tomorrow for various reasons. They’ll double our security guards at least, just in case. There are also police officers watching the building at all times, so it'll be fine."

"Okay," she whispers, tightening her blankets around her, but she can barely hear Jisoo speaking, her voice a distant sound that floats in the air without reaching in her brain.

"Also... Jimin is coming over, should arrive soon in fact. I arranged everything with our manager, she'll cover for us."

"I-what? B-but… why?" Chaeyoung whines, her attention now completely focused on Jisoo. Why would Jisoo...?

They’re on this break, and Jisoo knows it very well, knows how she struggled with the decision! So why would she go behind her back? It’s not something she expected from the older girl too.

She wants to be angry at her friend for going against her wishes, but it’s always been impossible to get angry at Jisoo. Her resolve to keep her distance from Jimin has held on for all this time, but it now feels like it was for naught since he’s coming.

And against all her better judgment, her heart is bursting with joy at the thought of seeing him after all this time, that traitor.

"I know, I know. You can yell at me all you want, I can take it. But he's super worried, and you're…like this, so I decided it would be a good idea," she defends, hands on her hips, looming over her as much as she can from her small height.

"But if the higher-ups find out, we'll be all in trouble, and unnie could lose her job," Chaeyoung tries to argue, but it’s hard to find arguments when her body is tingling with anticipation.

"No one will find out. We planned this like the pro super spies we should've been!" Jisoo boasts proudly.

"It sounds even scarier when you say that," Chaeyoung worries.

"You wound me!" Jisoo teases, hand squeezing her shirt just above her heart while the other one is fanning her face with dramatic urgency.

Her phone vibrates and she grins, her theatrics forgotten. "He's here!"

One would think that Jisoo is the one eager to see Jimin, not Chaeyoung, as she's the one to bounce toward the door while Chaeyoung sits rather frozen on her bed.

Where has her resolve gone?

Her will to see this through by herself?

One obstacle and it comes crumbling down, just like that?

But before she can make sense of anything, he's in her sight of view, standing in the doorway.

Jimin.

Her Jimin.

Almost within reach.

It feels like years.

Her eyes drink him in, the sight of him like an oasis after long and desperate days struggling in unending sandstorms and suffocating heat.

She immediately tears up, and Jisoo, who’s lurking behind him, gives her a satisfied smile before pushing him inside and closing the door behind him.

He rushes to her side, falling on the bed next to her, and she crawls into his open arms, throwing her legs around his waist, sticking to him like glue. Her nose presses into his neck, inhaling the scent that belongs to Jimin only.

", Chaeyoung, I missed you too much." His hands are everywhere, on her sides, flying across her back, brushing her hair away from her face, resting on her cheeks. As if making sure that she’s real, that she’s in one piece.

She nods in answer, incapable of forming words. He has to know anyway, how happy she is to see him again, with the way she’s clinging onto him.

They stay a very long time like this, without any words, just enjoying each other’s proximity, for they’ve been deprived of each other for too long.

Finally, Jimin leans back a little, hands gently cupping her cheeks as his fingers brush wild strands of hair away from her face, eyes roaming across her face.

Her eyes find his, hypnotized by the way they shine. Just for her.

He'll save her from this hell, he'll make everything bad disappear, he'll-

No, no, no.

She pushes those thoughts away before they start spiralling out of control. She can't fall back into that train of thought.

Now that he’s here, maybe she can simply borrow a little of his strength because she's in desperate need of some. Just a little should be fine, that wouldn’t make her dependent on him, right?

"What happened? We all saw on the news, they said he escaped," Jimin finally asks, brows furrowed as if he can guess her inner struggle.

Chaey

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter