Seventeen

My light in the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

----Chapter Seventeen----

 

Yang Hyun Suk studies them, his face unreadable as he reigns over the imposingly sterile conference room of the YG building, its sombre and formal atmosphere filling the four Blackpink's members with an unshakable chill. Quite the contrast from the sunny and warm weather outside that greeted them when they left the airport.

Chaeyoung always found him to be an intimidating man, with his piercing and unreadable stares, and his cold and sometimes dismissive words. When they were trainees, he was like a god who had complete control of their lives. One snap of his fingers and they could be sent packing away from YG to never return.

They worked hard, always giving more than what he asked. He's never been disappointed in them since their debut.

Till now.

All of their managers are also present around the long conference room table, all lined up against the wall stiffly like marionettes, with expressionless eyes even as the four girls enter the room. 

It's an intimidating sight.

The four of them stand on the other side, huddled as close to each other as possible without defying the laws of physics, drawing comfort from their closeness.

Jisoo has Jennie's hand in a secure grip while Lisa fidgets from one foot to the other until Chaeyoung grabs her wrist in a tight hold before one of their managers scold her.

"Please sit. You must know why this meeting has been called," he finally speaks, after dragging the silence -and their misery – for longer than necessary.

They move carefully, sitting in a row in silence. Chaeyoung can't stand the tension polluting the room; it's so thick she can almost taste it, and she hates how small and powerless she feels in this moment. 

Next to her, Jennie clears , her hands merging into one fist on her lap. "Yes," Jennie bravely says, her face pale. "It's because I-"

"It's because I got frightened of the stadium's view from the stage. I panicked and caused trouble for various people," Chaeyoung cuts. Her voice shakes a bit, but she's satisfied it's still coming out strong. No way will she let Jennie take all the blame for this.

"I'm still the one who talked back when I shouldn't have."

"That wouldn't have happened if I'd been able to keep myself together."

"Girls. Enough." The room turns silent instantly. He doesn't raise his voice, but it still demands attention. "Chaeyoung, you did well. You managed to ace the performance despite all your previous struggles."

Chaeyoung blushes slightly at the underlying compliment her boss just gave her. He rarely hands them over, so she knows he means it, but she doesn't let it go to her head. They're still stuck in the quicksand, the slightest movement might make them sink below the surface, to never be seen again.

She grimaces at the image her mind projected, maybe too dramatic for the current situation. 

No one had gotten wind of it after all. Nothing that happened backstage made the headlines; not her emotional breakdown nor Jennie's dispute with their manager, so they shouldn't be in too much trouble even though the rapper acts like she would end locked up in a cage.

Nope. They will be fine. They need to stay positive. But how does one stay positive with this gloomy vibe surrounding them?

"As for you Jennie, I understand your intentions were good. It proves a strong bond between all of you. And you know I'm all about teamwork. But talking back to your manager, in front of outsiders too, isn't something to be taken lightly."

Jennie lowers her head in defeat. "I understand."

"I had a punishment ready for you all, but something unexpected happened just before this meeting."

Now the four girls are looking at him curiously, tentative hope shining in their eyes.

"I just received an offer for you, Jennie. A rather particular one that I can't really ignore. BTS's Suga wants you to feature on one of his songs for his upcoming solo album."

"Oh. My. God." Lisa tries to stop herself from bouncing up and down on her seat, but that's a fight she loses. She's stopped by a stern glare from one of their managers, but her smile still shines on her face at her member's opportunity, her previous nervousness completely forgotten.

Yang Hyun Suk, while noticing Lisa's giddiness, indulges her this moment without a word before giving back his attention to Jennie. "Seems like your headstrong attitude gave him the thought that you'd be perfect for his song. It's a great opportunity that may have been born from the alteration that happened in their dressing room. The punishment would prevent you from going to the recordings though, so I would have to let it slide this one time and forget about my original plan."

Whatever Lisa's doing under the table after hearing those words results in Chaeyoung receiving a kick on her ankle, but she forces down a yelp, as if any sort of sound would change his mind back in a flash, and they're so close from getting out of that quicksand. She does, however, pinch Lisa's thight in retaliation.

"But I still want you to hand-write letters of apology to all your managers, and one for the BTS members and all of their staff as well who witnessed the event, and I'll trust you not to let it happen again."

Jennie nods and is about to speak when an angry voice stops her. "Is that all? She challenged my authority in front of everyone!"

Jennie flinches, her nails digging painfully in her palms as she stares wildly at the table, unwilling to meet anyone's stare.

"There's no need to shout," Yang Hyun Suk says calmly, but his eyes narrow at the man. "Are you telling me how to do my job?"

"I-no, of course not." He falls silent, but he's seething, glaring at Jennie from across the table.

"I'd like a word with the girls alone. You can all go." Their managers all look surprised, but they comply, emptying the room one by one.

They always had a great work relationship with all their managers, and now, Chaeyoung worries that it'll change the dynamic, that maybe they'll resent them from getting off easy.

Once everyone left the room, Yang Hyun Suk gives his attention to Jennie. "About the offer?"

"I would be stupid to let an opportunity like that pass..."

He nods approvingly, leaving Chaeyoung to wonder what he would've done if she'd actually rejected it. Was he even giving her a choice? 

"Good. I hope you realize that you might have a hard time. Choi Sung Hoon is not a man who likes being challenged, but I'll trust him not to take it too far. Can you handle it?"

"Yes I can," Jennie replies firmly with the three other girls echoing after her.

"Good. And please be more careful how you act in public, how you all act. All eyes will be on you. It's not the time for a scandal." He dismisses them on those words, leaving first with the four of them scrambling after him, down the elevator.

It went better than anticipated, so much better, but they can't really rejoice as the drive back t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter