Eleven

My light in the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

----Chapter Eleven----

 

"Ok good, that's all! Thank you all for your work!" The photographer shouts after taking his last picture and thus ending the two-day photo shoot.

Chaeyoung and Jimin untangle themselves from each other before getting up to their feet while bowing and thanking all the crew for their hard work.

They walk back together toward their managers, both aware of the awkward atmosphere draping them. During six hours, they posed together in so many outfits Chaeyoung lost counts and in various positions, some a little more intimate than others.

"Good work," her manager greets her back and immediately begins to fuse over her, handing her a water bottle.

"Thanks." Her voice's a bit shaky, but she manages to smile as she graciously accepts the water.

"We're going to grab something to eat before we eat back. Do you both want to come?" Jimin asks as he approaches them, his manager in tow.

"Oh, that's a good idea. I'm so hungry! What do you think, Chaeyoung?"

Her manager smiles at her and Chaeyoung can only nod while her inner voice scoffs that, obviously she's hungry since they've eaten practically nothing since they got here. Well, Chaeyoung cheated a little, but her manager doesn't know that. Such a silly idea, she realizes that, but with the way it ended, only a satisfying feeling remains inside her, the dark shape haunting her dreams pushed to the back burner.

Her manager happily grabs their things and starts talking food with Jimin's manager. Since the both of them recently had so many activities together, it seems like their managers had time to get to know each other and are now on friendly terms.

"So, did you get caught last night?" Jimin asks in a low voice as he walks next to her.

"No, my manager was still sleeping," she answers, and they share a knowing smile.

They reach their cars and Jimin's manager takes the lead on the road to a restaurant he knows well in a town close by. Chaeyoung takes one last glance back at the house that has now become tiny in the distance. She'll definitely miss the peacefulness of the countryside. Thankfully she took lots of pictures during their breaks, so she can't wait to show her members the scenery.

She puts her earphone and shuffles her playlist, letting the music relax her and tries to watch the landscape through her window instead of stealing glances at the van in front of theirs, but Chaeyoung isn't successful. Her mind always goes back to the photoshoot, more specifically to the last pose the photographer arranged them in. She'd been sitting on his lap, their arms around each other with her head leaning on his.

Too close. 

His arms around her. Hers around his body, alerting her to every line, every muscle. His scent just under her nose. All of it had her heart beat so wildly, and with him so close, it's impossible he hadn't been aware. She felt embarrassed, but she didn't want to ruin the shoot, so she ignored it as best as she could.

Still, like a giddy teenage girl she keeps replaying the scene in her head, unable to help herself. She's too far gone, she admits it. What can come out of this, she doesn't know. She doesn't dare raise her hopes too high. Liking him from afar is enough for her.

Liar.

Who could blame her, when he went out of his way to help her at Minho's party, took her home and stayed with her so she wouldn't be alone. And he'd come yesterday even though she's sure he'd already eaten.

And she thought she would return to normal now that he won't be singing with his ic voice while staring at her intensely anymore. But no. Because of all those poses the photographer arranged for them, she'd been even closer to him than ever.

And the feeling of his body so close to hers...

God, if slamming her head hard against the car window would stop her from thinking about him, she would. At this point, only amnesia would help her.

Her phone vibrates in her hand and she can't help the smile on her lips as she sees it's from Jimin.

Is it just me or was my manager looking at your manager with hearts in his eyes?

Chaeyoung grins. She totally noticed it earlier, during a break. I saw it too. He was totally trying to flirt with her. :p

It's adorable, but she knows her manager isn't looking for romance. She hesitates but sends him the information.

That's understandable. She has a kid to take care of after all.

OMG, you remember that? she sends, shocked. It feels like so long ago.

Sure I do. I thought, wow this girl is really kind to let her manager leave in the middle of work. I know some people who wouldn't have offered.

His text warms her heart and she's glad he's in the car in front of them, so he can't see her blushing cheeks. She remembers the moment clearly as those were his first words to her that day.

She takes good care of me, it was the least I could do. Her eyes land on her manager, all her attention on the road ahead. Chaeyoung remembers how devastated she'd been the first time they met after her discharge from the hospital. She'd blamed herself for being absent when it happened, even though it wasn't at all her fault.

She feels the tears in her eyes at the memory but refuses to let them fall.

"Uh, Chaeyoung?" her manager called nervously.

She removes her earphone. "Yes, unnie?"

"We're running out of gas... I must've forgotten to fill it before we left today..."

They're currently in the middle of the highway, the town Jimin's manager wants them to go not that far, but she has no idea how long they've been driving. She's also not familiar with the area at all. "Are there any gas station close by?"

"The GPS says no. I'm gonna have to stop at the side... We'll have to call a garage so they can send a truck to pick up the car. Thankfully there's a rest area not too far... Ah, damn! I'm not this sloppy usually."

"Don't worry about it. But isn't the car supposed to make a beeping sound when the tank's getting empty?" Chaeyoung asks, not familiar with cars, but with technology as it is today, it warns them when someone isn't wearing their safety belt. It should be the same with the gas tank.

"It should. I'll have to ask that they do a whole checkup for the car," she says, stressed. "Can you send your friend a text to let him know we won't be able to accompany them to the restaurant?"

Chaeyoung nods and does as she asks, explaining the situation to Jimin. It's too bad because she's really hungry and his manager had described the food in a very mouth-watering way.

She still hasn't received his reply when they pull at the rest area which consists of a small cabin with a bathroom and picnic tables on both sides surrounded by the forest that goes far beyond the highway. As she gets out of the car, she frowns when she sees the other car already parked there.

"What are you doing?" she asks when Jimin gets out of the car. She pulls her hood over her head, carefully approaching him. His manager goes to find hers and she hears them talking about the car's problems.

Jimin gently steers her away to a less exposed area, around the cabin. "Like we're going to let you wait here endlessly."

He distractedly pushes into her hood some strand of stray hair that flew in her face because of the strong wind. Her heart picks up speed at his gesture. "We always keep a small tank of gas in the van. It might be enough to get back to Seoul, but my manager is currently suggesting to yours to head for the closest town to fill the van's tank, just to be on the safe side."

Chaeyoung smiles. "Ah, that's good. She was really worried about the whole ordeal."

She wants to add more but he suddenly pulls her into a hug. She freezes against his chest, shocked by the sudden action. We just recently started texting, now w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter