Two

My light in the dark
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

---- Chapter Two ----

 

"We're here," Chaeyoung's manager announces as she parks the van at the underground parking of AB Entertainment, the company that's producing the songs for the drama OST. She's so nervous she hasn't been able to eat breakfast. What if she messes up too much? What if the producer ends up hating her voice? What if her voice doesn't match her duet's partner?

BTS's Park Jimin.

Yang Hyun Suk had called her the day after their meeting to let her know his identity, his name a sudden huge weight on her shoulders. She couldn't tell if her boss had been pleased or not by the production's choice for the male part as the only words he'd say besides his name had been to be mindful of all the eyes that would be on her.

All the more to add to her nervousness.

After learning his identity, she first texted Seulgi to get her overall opinion since she knew him well.  After assuring her she wouldn't get any trouble from him, the older girl ended her text with a Can't wait to hear the final result with a bunch of smiley faces staring back at her.

Then, she researched him up on the net. While she did know BTS and loved their songs, she never sought out information about them.  She knew he was one of their vocalists and heard Seulgi talk about him from time to time, but their relationship ended soon after Blackpink and Red Velvet became friends.

YouTube truly is an infinite source of information. She found compilations of clips about the most random things that ended up making her feel like some stalker so she stopped after the third one. That still is the most she'd seen of him, but that didn't help her to get a grasp on his true personality.

He has a nice smile. That's the deep conclusion she's come to by the end of her research.

She feels an immense pressure from doing this duet with someone like him. She keeps wondering how he feels about having her as his partner. She isn't in the most popular girl group nor is she known as the best idol vocalist either. Some people would even say she got the job only because she's from YG.

As they enter, a receptionist welcomes them and leads them to the recording studio where Shinsadong Tiger, the man who's producing her two songs, greets them. They shake hands and he introduces her to the rest of the staff.

 It seems she's the first one to arrive.

While everyone is discussing technical issues about the recording, she takes her phone out, plugs her earphones in one ear and listens to the demo she already studied every day this past week, but her nervousness won't go away and doing nothing only worsen it.

While her solo song is a sad ballad filled with longing and loneliness, the duet is more upbeat and playful, a push-and-pull between the male and the female. She feels more confident about her solo song, and both Teddy and her vocal coach had praised her for her emotional performance during her final practice yesterday. Hopefully, everyone here will also like it.

She nervously bits her nail as the thought of the production team being unsatisfied with her and making her redo it over and over.

"Ah, I just received a message from the other party. They're stuck in traffic so they'll be awhile. Since you're here, how about we start with your solo song instead?" Shinsadong Tiger suddenly asks her, an apologetic look on his face.

"Of course," Chaeyoung immediately agrees. She feels relieved to start by herself. At least, if they hate her voice or her technique, Park Jimin won't be here to witness her humiliation. No Chaeyoung, let's stay positive, she thinks as she puts the headphone on her ears and moves the mic to her preference.

She watches as on the other side of the glass, Shinsadong Tiger and his team move swiftly. Then her eyes move to her manager, who gives her a thump up. Yes, she can do this.

"Okay, so we'll do a first recording of the whole song in one shot, then we'll go from there," Shinsadong Tiger tells her when they're ready.

She nods and her nervousness and insecurities disappear the moment the music starts to play. Chaeyoung loves singing, whether in the studio, on her guitar, in the shower or in front of Blinks. She loves it all. Everything negative stops existing within her and only the song matters.

She takes a breath and starts singing. The world st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter