Epilogue: Because

You & Me

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

"Kim Tae Hyung, the now-ex heir of "Kim Fashion", has officially resigned with his family's company, presumably due to health issues. As soon as the press conference was over, he was seen rushing to Incheon International Airport, to join his wife, who is believed to be staying overseas. His parents asked media to refrain from making assumptions that could their well-being. The company has already lost over 30% of its worth after the theft scandal that occurred a couple of months ago, which is why this enormous company's future lays on thin glass once its current CEO decides to leave."

"Another victim of reckless driving fell last night. Between 9 and 10 pm, a female "H" lost her life due to speeding her car to 100 in the zone where the limit was 40. Police sources believe that she was also making a phone-call while driving. The accident occurred near Incheon Internation Airport, so ambulance cars were fast to arrive, but they could only declare immediate death."

Familiar hand shut down the laptop by pushing the screen down forcefully. Somin glared up at Matthew before almost spitting out:

"What the hell?"

"Stop watching those reports, it'll only make you more depressed than you already are." He remained collected, ignoring her death stare as he looked back.

The curtains were closed so that none of the light or curious eyes could get inside the small room they were staying at. The plan to come all the way to South America without anyone suspecting their appearance was crazy, so they couldn't risk getting into any more problems. The two of them lived peacefully, but it was very exhausting, so much that Somin sometimes thought about giving up, and this day was one of those times.

Just as Matthew started to walk away, Somin raised herself from the couch.

"Jesus, Matthew, we can't just go on with our lives and pretend like none of this happened! We ruined and took lives, for 's sake! When are you going to admit that it's all our fault? He lost his right to inherit the company, and she... she almost died, too! How can you even face yourself after everything?!"

In the matter of seconds, Matthew was in front of her, staring back angrily and refraining himself from saying something they both might regret.

"It's been two months, Somin. Two ing months! Sixty days to think about everything that happened, enough time to accept that it had to happen for us to be here! How else would you be going to Copacabana beach every single night, drink those expensive vines he told you about and wear every dress you wish for? When would you be able to do it with the lifestyle you had before you sneaked back into my life?"

Somin turned her face and let out something that sounded like a sarcastic laugh.

"Well, unlike you, I have some self-consciousness, and I know who the woman in that report was. She was the first to actually notice strange air around me, and she also seemed like the only one who cared enough for him. I can't help but think that we're somehow related to her death, and it's been killing me for the past sixty days that you mentioned, or, more precisely, fifty three."

He turned to walk away again, but stopped and made a full circle while walking around the room, probably thinking of the best reply that would calm down his partner, but it seemed like nothing came to his mind. After a while, Matthew sighed and looked at her again.

"This is why we're never going to get along. When it's time for action, you're down to anything, but as soon as it's done your mind is filled with regret and sorrow for the lives of those who were murdered and wronged. When I asked you if you wanted to get rich, you'd do whatever I asked, but when you got closer to him, you saw that same humanity you have and you wanted to connect to him on a more personal level, but I stopped you on time."

Somin, who was already barely holding onto her last nerve, reached her hand down and grabbed a glass of water, aiming it at Matthew. However, he was fast enough and the glass broke after hitting the wall.

And Matthew knew how much she's been suffering all this time they've been hiding, how she managed to keep the anger inside, but also how, at some point, she would snap and tear everything and everyone on her way.

So he let her be.

He let her throw random items around, he let her scream and shout until her voice cracked. And as she did that, he took already opened bottle of beer and sat down on the floor, then proceeded to take slow sips of alcohol.

Because Matthew, in fact, was also hurt. Ever since he left Jiwoo alone in that cursed apartment, thinking she would just go away or forgive him for confessing so out of the blue. She could never love him back, and he knew that, but there was a very small piece of hope that it would turn out different.

So, after being away for seven days, Matthew finally gained enough strength to go back to his place, first to check if Jiwoo has moved out, but then he received strange message from Jack.

They're coming for you.

Alarming text made him snap back to the day he fought with Kevin, and he knew immediately what the warning was about. On his way back to Manhattan, he nearly made a crash, and almost got pulled over by the police twice. The only thing on his mind was to get to Jeon Jiwoo before somebody else does.

It should've been him who got shot that night, because then they wouldn't even know Jiwoo was hiding in the bathroom, and they'd leave after finishing with him. Her life was definitely more worth than his.

When Jiwoo sheltered him, both attackers got confused, giving him enough time to pull out his gun and shoot them deadly with one hit each. Matthew then called the ambulance, but knowing there would also be police involved, he couldn't take the risk and had to leave the building as soon as possible. As the sirens echoed in the background, he called Somin and told her she had to get to New York right away, bringing everything she collected, as the mission had to end earlier than expected.

But before flying away, he wanted to destroy the Family to its core, so they'd have to collect their remains on the street, to take revenge for Jiwoo.

That act, however, angered the rest of the Clan, and Matthew never told Somin that they weren't changing their names every 10 days because of police chasing them. It was because other Families around the world were always one step behind them.

After her rage outburts ended, Somin sat down next to Matthew and looked around, processing the mess she made: everything made of glass was broken to tiniest pieces, pillows from the couch torn apart, food from the table spilled on the floor, even the curtains took their part by hooking off and revealing some sunlight that landed on Somin's face.

"Take this." Matthew shoved another bottle of beer in her hand and she obeyed quietly, perhaps too tired to reply with anything better than a nod.

"I went this far only because I loved you... But was that love even enough for you? You're too egocentric for someone to share their deepest emotions with you...", she spoke after spending some time in silence, drinking with him.

"Says the one who faked pregnancy to get my attention. I knew it wasn't for real, I just wanted to see how far you would go for this obsession you have over me."

At this point, they weren't shouting or looking at each other, they just talked as if it was any other day.

"I don't know how many times I have to tell you... It was real, and I had a...", she was about to say miscarriage, but the word got stuck in .

"Somin, can I tell you a secret?

"Sure", she srugged, with strange feeling of weight on her shoulders.

"The thing we've been running away from is not the law, or the police... it was the Clan. And they found us."

Somin wanted to react, but she found moving and talking harder than minutes ago.

Earlier that day, Matthew received a message from trusted individual, and it was that some of the members from South America found their location and were about to attack. After thinking for a while, Matthew was able to come up with only one exit.

"I placed poision in this beer...", he proceeded to say. "The same poision you used on Kim Tae Hyung. The effect is deadly, especially if you drink it up as fast as we did."

Scared by both his words and calm tone, Somin immediately threw away the bottle in her hand, but she knew it was already too late. She started to feel dizzy, like during motion sickness, so she desperately clinged onto Matthew's arm and he didn't shake it off.

His face turned pale as he looked into distance without blinking once.

"Why?", was all Somin managed to say before her tongue gave up on her and her jaw became harder to control in fever.

There was a soft knocking sound on the front door, not too far from them. Matthew smirked, perhaps knowing what's about to happen. His vision was blurred, and black dots started appearing in front of his eyes.

"What made you think our lives are worth living?"