Chapter Seven

You & Me

When Taehyung woke up, the first thing he saw was blank ceiling. However, mixed with white neon lamps, this made his head hurt, so he squirted his eyes in annoyance. He tried moving his hands, but IV fluid connected to his hands didn't allow him to.

"Mr Kim, you're awake?", he heard familiar voice. It was his secretary, Mr Oh, the one who was always by his side in Seoul.

"Where am I? What's going on?", he shouts, both frustrated and confused. He was supposed to be in Sokcho, celebrating two-year anniversary with his wife.

"You had food poisoning. Luckily, you were found before anything went wrong. You received treatment in local hospital but when your father found out, he demanded for you to be moved to Seoul right away."

He tried rewinding memories in his head.

Jiwoo and he had a dinner together. Then she surprised him with 3-liter bottle of his favorite red wine. After that, they chatted and danced. But after that... nothing.

When he tried remembering what happened afterwards, black space appeared before his eyes. Probably because he fainted, but he felt as if he missed something. A small detail, that would be able to fill emptiness in his mind.

Right then, a doctor came in. He recognized her immediately as Jiwoo's mother. He should've known hospital was his in-laws'. His parents never miss a chance to go there and pay impossible amount of money just so they could show off. Look at us, we're richer and you're getting more of our money, even though we transferred twenty million dollars when our kids got married!

Of course, that money could easily be pulled back in case of divorce, or position abuse. They were practically like marionette's, hanging on strings that seem so secured but that could also break so easily it's scary.

Miss Na looked like Jiwoo's older sister. The two had same face shape, same blonde hair and dark eyes that could pierce through one's soul. It made him uncomfortable at times.

"Look who finally decided to wake up!", she smiled. Her smile was always more reassuring, more honest than daughter's. Or she just acted better. "It was about time. Jiwoo has been worried for days. She kept coming over, hoping to be able to talk to you."

She changes fluid bottles as she speaks.

"What's the date?"

He freezes when she replies. It was January 30th, which means he's been unconscious for roughly 9 days. He rushes to get up but his mother-in-law makes him lay back down almost immediately.

"Where do you think you're going?", she looks at him disapprovingly, like real doctor and first of all - a mother.

"I'm missing really important meeting, my father's going to be worried if I don't appear at least until the end of work time..."

However, she gently pushes him back down. "Your father was the one who ordered us to let you rest. Your schedule is cleared for whole next week, so I recommend you take it easy from here."

Her commanding tone, as well as motherly look she gave him left him no choice. When they finally managed to get on same page, he let her finish checkup but before going out, she turned around, having left something unsaid.

"I have to inform detective that you're awake. Do you think you could handle him for ten minutes?"

Taehyung was well-known for not being able to withstand detectives, investigators or anything that had to do with police. He thought it was waste of time, since they usually stretched investigations for weeks, months, or even years.

But now he had no choice, being unable to just get up and leave the hospital.

Minutes later, a man entered his VIP room. He could be five to eight years older than him, although bags and dark circles under his eyes added at least five to that number. He looked as if he just woke up, as his dark hair was messed up and he obviously hasn't shaved in days. Dark blue shirt was carelessly ed, showing white T-shirt he wore beneath.

"Detective Park Min Ho, I hope we can get along.", he offers a handshake, but came across refusal. Taehyung eyed him up and down, wondering why didn't his father intervene or at least checked who are they sending?

"I'm sorry but I'm still confused; why do we need an investigation? Isn't it easier to just make hotel pay, since food was from their cuisine?"

Detective had to restrain from rolling his eyes. Rich people always see money as exit from uncomfortable situations, he thought to himself.

"I supposed you're not quite informed about your own case.", Park sat on chair next to bed. Even chairs were far more comfortable in VIP rooms than those in regular rooms. "On Saturday, January 21st year 2017, you were victim to food poisoning. Doctors in Sokcho Medical Center thought it was regular case of expired date food. However, during that night, your heart rate started falling rapidly and immediate gastric ulcer was required. What they found in your stomach was digested steak, red wine, 10 hardly digested sleeping pills, mixed with 15 painkillers. These are often used as suicide method...", he paused for a moment, so he could analyze reaction.

Taehyung watched him with caution, but also couldn't believe what this man is assuming.

"We spoke to your family and wife, but they all denied any signs that could cause such behavior. You don't have mental illness history, there are no incidents connected to your or name of soon-to-be-your company. However, we can never know what troubles a person from inside..."

"Excuse me, are you saying that I tried to kill myself?", not so patient patient cut him off in the middle of sentence.

"You don't have to react so fiercely, Mr Kim, I'm here to help you. I'm just making assumptions, it's my job to do so. At this moment, anything could be cause to those drugs. For example, pressure placed on you upon inheriting family company, important link to some of the biggest fashion industries in the world... I think only thought of it could break anyone loose. If you can't cope with responsibilities at such young age..."

"But that's just absurd! How dare you come here and trying to make me believe I purposefully swallowed 25 pills, then you accuse me of not being able to do my job right! I'm sorry but I pretty much enjoy working and wouldn't change it for eternal afterlife in Hell!"

"Mr Kim, calm down. I just wanted to check, that's all.", Park backed away, as his client sounded sure in his own words.

"I didn't even know those pills were in there!", he still defended himself. Detective gave him a sign to stop.

"So what you're saying is, someone set you up."

"Finally some reasonable explanation!"

"Okay then. Who were you with that day?"

And in one moment, it hit him.

Set up... Saturday night... Ten sleeping pills and fifteen painkillers... Wine.. Red wine... Gift...

...You know that one of our contracts is breakable, right?

"Something came to your mind?", Park asked discreetly, which stopped his thought flow.

"Detective, can we please talk again tomorrow? I'm not feeling very well..."

It worked, since his face turned pale ever since he came to terrifying conclusion.

As soon as he was finally left alone, Taehyung grabbed his phone from the nightstand and dialed info center.

"Hello? Can I please have Sokcho Medical Center number?"