Chapter Fourteen

You & Me

When Somin came back to the hospital, she went straight towards the room she saw Jiwoo enter earlier.

She took a deep breath in, then dared to push the door without knocking...

...but there was no one inside.

Two beds on opposite sides of the room were empty and properly made. Opened window and smell of just changed bedding proved someone was here not long before her, and someone else just left.

Somin cursed under her breath. She must've been too late. Did he leave with pretty blonde and Matthew was now with both of them, or did he just leave the hospital and went back to Seoul? They didn't have time or money to waste on expensive last-minute flights to Korea - again.

Matthew's plan draft was pretty rough, but it sounded good when she repeated it a few times.

However, it was also the craziest idea he's ever came up with that Somin couldn't be convinced right away. She called him crazy for thinking of such things, let alone wanting to accomplish them.

"Oh come on, Mini. What's the worst thing that could happen?", he asked with a goofy smile and she knew there's no way he's letting go.

"Oh, I don't know, maybe you could fail and get arrested or killed?"

"We could fail, Somin, we could get arrested!", he fixed her pronoun, but that's when she started shaking her head vigorously.

"No way, I'm not getting in your bull this time. And I swear to God, if you try and do it...", Somin started but was cut off by his suspicious stare as he got off the sofa and approached her.

"What are you gonna do? Hmm? Say it."

His voice was low and somehow threatening and the fact that they were so close his breath  tickled her ear was not helping. She was suddenly afraid to look up, so he wouldn't see the crimson red color in her cheeks, and she could only hope he wasn't able to feel her heart beat that sped up rapidly.

"Call the cops on me? You can't, because you're here without any legal papers and you would be arrested before even mentioning my name. The government is even worse choice."

Somin pressed her lips together. There was really nothing she could do to stop him, but she still tried her luck one last time.

"I could tell... Kevin..."

His face clouded on the mention of wicked five letters. Kang Kevin was some kind of director, sponsor and manager in their small circle, the man who always made sure police checkups went fast and smooth.
His word was a must-obey not only for Matthew and other guys, but also every newbie in their block. He was the one who set rules and the only one allowed to break them. He set up delivery dates and payments. Matthew was never in favor of his leadership, that was more like imperialism, as he often thought.
Inside their group, everything had to evolve around leader who was used to getting everything he wants.

"No you can't. You ran away from us, remember?", it was clear as day he didn't question her. He was ordering her.

"That's just the story you sold him. I'm sure he still has feelings for me...", she looked away, reminding him of his eternal rival for her love, which made him step away like he just got struck by electricity.

"So that's your card, huh? Okay then, go on. I'm sure he's gonna be so happy to have a pregnant girl on his doorway. Oh, he would make amazing father!" his tone was salty, uncomfortable.

"Jin Seok!", she yelled, not wanting to hear his nonsense anymore.

On the other hand, his jealousy outburst satisfied her in a strange way. Maybe because it could mean they are not over yet, and he still felt the way she did. She had to bite her lip to suppress a smile.

He let out a long sigh, then turned around and looked at her with hopeless look in his eyes.

"I think this could really work out if we try our best. And I promise, if we don't succeed, I'll take full blame."

On her way to hospital, Somin thought of her reasons to finally accept Matthew's offer and the only reasonable explanation she could come up with was that she loved him that much.

She decided to try her luck on reception. Nurse behind counter didn't seem especially thrilled to talk. Her voice was monotone and exhausted.

"I'm sorry, we're not allowed to give our patients' private information...", she refused as soon as Somin asked if a man called Kim Tae Hyung recently visited hospital.

She then introduced herself as his cousin sent to check on him for his parents. They haven't gotten information about his whereabouts for days so she searched all over Manhattan. Somin even dared to threaten the nurse with her job, claiming Kim Fashion CEO won't be very pleased to hear about this little incident.

In the matter of seconds, she found out her "cousin" got admitted to their hospital yesterday at 11:30 in the morning. He stayed in regular room overnight but moved to VIP section half an hour ago. Two bodyguards plus his secretary were keeping eye on him.

The nurse asked if she would like to be escorted to his room, but Somin shook her head and said this would be enough for now.

The girl made it look like she left the hospital, then made her way to the back entrance. After walking through a few empty halls that were probably used as emergency ways in case of fire, she saw one open door and just the thing she needed - white coat.

There was no way she could enter the VIP room if she played cousin again, but there wasn't rational reason to not let a doctor do her job and check on her patient.

Somin snickered when she captured reflection in the mirror. The coat really did suit black heels, a pencil skirt and simple white shirt. To make herself look more business-y, she lifted her hair in a bun, the hairstyle she noticed on most doctors in America.

"Doctor Jeon Somin...", she said, straightening her pose, making her look more official. It was one of her very first dreams to help people but soon after her mother's death, she gave up her faith in those almighty people because, at the end of the day, they weren't as powerful humans as they were healers.

She hurried to walk out before owner of the coat appears. VIP section was located on 3rd floor so she went to the elevator, ignoring curious stares she received from both men and women. One of the coat colleagues sent her a smirk, eyeing her up and down while they were standing in elevator. It wasn't like she was unused to attention, but it was currently the last thing on her mind.

After departing, Somin found herself in calmer, more comfortable hallway. It was much warmer than in ground level, there was a long carpet that absorbed all sounds so it was as silent as cemetery.

Each room was apart from the next by three or four meters, the door were much wider and a sign "do not disturb" was seen on as few doorknobs, signalizing there is someone inside.

She easily decided which room should she enter, because two Korean "gorillas" were standing by both sides, like motionless statues.

It's now or never, Somin thought to herself and confidently walked up to the door, but was immediately stopped when two palms grabbed her by the shoulders.

"Who are you?", one asked in awkward English.

She rolled her eyes and replied in fluent Korean. "Checkup."

"Only doctor Brown is allowed to do checkups on this patient," the other one raised his eyebrows, more confident on his native language.

"He sent me to check if Mr Kim likes the room."

That sounded a lot more like what rich people need.

In that moment, another man in suit exited the room. Somin guessed he was secretary, since he was nowhere near tall, muscular or threatening like gorillas. His sharp words were much stronger than their fists and after scolding them for disturbing Mr Kim, he apologized to Somin and told her she's free to come in and do her job.

VIP room was more spacious and home-like than the regular ones. Somin thought she would gladly stay in this room her whole life, but there was no time to waste on jaw dropping. She approached the bed in the middle of the room, her patient was asleep. But that also wasn't what mattered.

She took a quick look at infusion stall, knowing one pair of eyes is watching her every step with caution.

She then took the checklist and read his history. After fainting in restaurant, he was moved to hospital, but refused to take medicines or food. Doctor Brown noted one word in the corner of the paper. Cibophobia.

I'll have to google that later, she thought and put listing down.

The man on the bed was almost unrecognizable to her. He was obviously just sleeping and far from danger, but for some reason she was scared he might be unconscious. He looked fragile, nothing like smiling Prince Charming of Korea, as they once called him.

"He's had a rough night. I suppose you could tell Doctor Brown they got in a fight - it affected him very negatively."

Although Somin didn't understand what was he talking about, it was clear as day which side this man had to play for.

"How does he look to you, Doctor?", the man asked and she was sure he asked out of curiosity and she let out a little "hmm..." to look like she's deep in her thoughts. In the end, she got out easily.

"I'm actually here only to see if everything's alright. His pulse is good, his sleep healthy... Don't let him stress over little things though, and avoid any hardly digestive food..."

She remembered the advises she got earlier and hoped she didn't say something wrong.

"I think that would be all," she said lastly and was fast to walk out, wanting to avoid any additional questions, when she didn't even know what's wrong with the patient.

While walking down the street, she got rid of the white coat and let her hair fall on her shoulders again.

Day one - check..