Chapter Nineteen

You & Me

Her

Jiwoo blushed deeply and turned her head so she doesn't have to stare at Matthew's half- body, but she couldn't help thinking about how well-built his stomach packs were.

"You haven't had many boyfriends, have ya?", he smiled teasingly, "Thought a married one would be used to such sight..."

When she noticed he was putting a shirt on, Jiwoo cleared and flattered her eyebrows a few times. Her hands were gripping clutch of small bag.

They were sitting in a living room that was also used as dining room. Unlike the hallway, inside of apartment was clean and enlightened by unusual February sunrays coming through open terrace doors. Her host smelled like gel shower and cologne.

"So, what brings you all the way here? I thought people like you", Matthew eyed her expensive clothes with a hint of judgment, "had enough money to buy their own houses. Women of your rank especially."

Jiwoo raised herself from the sofa, ticked off and embarrassed by the mockery she received. There was no point in starting an argument, because how can someone like him understand the fact that everything she owns is under her husband's control and that when he hears about her revolt, she can kiss married life goodbye? And let her whole family down.

At the same time though, Jiwoo wanted to send a message to Taehyung - no one controls her life.

"I'll gladly look for another place," she said, trying to sound as calm as possible. She proceeded to walk past Matthew, when he pulled her back by the wrist.

"But I could use that money too...", he said, lowering tone as smile faded from his lips, "You haven't even heard my offer."

Letting out long sigh, Jiwoo sat back down. "Make it short."

"I wouldn't stop you from leaving if it was about constantly being in same apartment . For God's sake, I have a girlfriend and the last thing I need is her jealous wondering why I'm sharing place with another woman!"

Matthew picked up half-empty bottle of soju and downed the rest in one go while his guest watched without blinking.

This man and Taehyung are like wind and sea, Jiwoo thought with disgusted face expression.

"This drink is nothing compared to Korean soju, yet they sell it like it's gold...", he stared at green packaging and murmured, more to himself.

"Then why are you doing it?"

Matthew shrugged, taking a quick look through the window. "Because I'm not here most of the time, I realized there was enough space for another pair of hands and legs. Earning extra money is something that just came along with it. And you seem like the most perfect person I could give that role to. I mean think about it: in the morning you have lectures and I leave after you come back, so you have whole apartment for yourself!"

Great, more alone time with thoughts!

Jiwoo was about to ask something, but he's foreseen it.

"I'll give you a key so you can lock yourself in the room during night."

To fulfill that promise, Matthew threw a metal key that landed directly in her lap.

"I'll accept, but only under one condition," blonde raised her head to meet his awaiting gaze. He seemed like he was ready to listen, but Jiwoo bet he wasn't going to like her proposal.

"I want 2 months long trial. If I grow to like the place, I'll pay you and think about staying for longer. And if you try anything - and I really mean it - I'm packing my bags."

Wasn't so bold when we first met, Matthew thought bittersweetly. But this was a chance he couldn't miss.

"So, we have the deal?", Jiwoo extended her palm and waited patiently.

"Okay then. Welcome to Matthew's residence."

While shaking her hand with faint smile, she couldn't even guess the size of a trap she just got herself into.

Him

- two years ago -

Taehyung walked in same circle down the room while waiting for his wife to come in.

He smiled like a boy having his first crush. Jeon Jiwoo, his wife. And this was their room. Their house. God knows for how long he's been waiting this day, this night.

When he took her hand on isle, she looked so tiny in lavish wedding dress, made by Kim Fashion's best team as special order for their future CEO's fiancee. No one across Earth globe had that wedding dress, as pure as the bride's face and his love for her.

Taehyung wouldn't stop holding her hand for the whole time that day, afraid that this is just a dream and she was a fragile doll made up with his imagination and desires.

When they entered the house, he still couldn't believe this was actually happening. Jiwoo's been silent during ceremony and car ride, but he told himself it was because she didn't know him that well, maybe she was even afraid of him because of how fast everything was going.

There's a soft knock on the door and seconds later Jiwoo enters. She's wearing a nightgown, heavy makeup is gone and blonde hair is falling on her shoulders, resting after being held up in curly bun.

She hesitates for a bit, but then approaches the bed, where Taehyung was standing.

"So... this is our bedroom. What do you think?", his tone is soft and his eyes are shining like she's the brightest star in the sky.

"It's nice...", she nods automatically, looking anywhere but back at him.

"This is our bed... Where we will sleep..."

The thought off that disgusted her more than she thought it was possible.

He took her small palm in his gently and spoke honestly, his words filled with nothing but sincerity and love.

"You have no idea how happy I am right now," he plants a kiss on her forehead.

She could feel the warmth in every word he said, in every breath he took, like it was all thanks to her. And she couldn't believe she was about to crash that happiness, but she promised herself not to give him false hope and fake smiles.

But instead of opening , Jiwoo froze and panic spread throughout her body. He started showering her face with kisses; he was cautious and gentle, but that only made her heart ache even more. Why wasn't he rough, violent even? Then she would at least have an excuse, reason to push him away and yell the words that weren't directed to him but her parents and that she's been keeping in for a month.

Maybe she could give him a chance?

His lips got dangerously close to her.

No, that can't happen. He was the one who wanted her as his wife and if it wasn't for his greed, she wouldn't be be in this position.

Jiwoo grabbed his wrist that was holding up her chin but he was surprisingly strong. She then moved her head, but he was perfectly synchronized.

"Stop!", she shouted and pushed him off using all the strength she could gather in five seconds. She ran to other side of the room and leaned against the wall. Her entire body was shaking and her breathing pattern was uneven.

Taehyung frowned and wanted to go over to where she was when she nearly screamed.

"Don't move!"

"Jiwoo, what is this?", he asked, confused and surprised by sudden change of events.

She shook her head vigorously. "I can't do this... I'm sorry, but I can't. I don't know you, you're a stranger to me. This is all disgusting me too much to just take it as it is. I'm sorry..."

He blinked, trying to process and connect her words. Then he smiled a little and returned to gentle voice. "I understand. I mean, this all happened so fast that even I am still under impression."

He started walking backwards, to assure her he wasn't going to go near her anymore. "We can just go to sleep and talk this over at breakfast, what do you think?"

Jiwoo felt urge to cry. He was obviously not getting her point. "You don't understand. I can't sleep in same bed with you. I can't share room with an unknown man, I can't take your presence let alone your touches. I just... I hate you! I've hated you ever since we first met."

She watched his expression change from confused to shocked.

"Do you... really mean that?"

"I always will."

- present day -

"Is there something wrong with the food?

Seola's voice made Taehyung jump back to reality as he looked up, confused.

"What...?", was all he managed to say. His throat was stiff and dry, his heart was beating like he was on racetrack. He clenched palms in his lap to hide the fact that they were sweaty.

Woman sitting across from him fluttered her eyelids, taken aback by the amount of ignorance she just received.

"You've been staring at that plate for the past 10 minutes and I just thought there was something weird about the food. Perhaps I'm talking too much? Because trust me, I can listen..."

Taehyung immediately shook his head, but couldn't make up an excuse. He was just too deep in his thoughts and the moment his eyes were back on food, a knot tied itself in his stomach.

They were having a dinner at the most expensive restaurant Somin has ever been to. That's why she regretted decision to wear jeans, sweatshirt and white low-top sneakers. It made her look funny among all the rich people. Then she told herself to tone it down. She was just a secretary and didn't belong to his world. But how was she going to seduce him if she couldn't fit in his standards in the first place?

"What is it, then?", she played innocent.

Taehyung took a better look at her clothes. She was more simple than he thought - except for the make up, which she spent too much time in. Everything about her was either folksy or extremely daring.

"You know that, starting next week, you won't be allowed to wear so much blush, right?", he smiled but Seola rolled her eyes.

He picked up a fork, his anxiety raising again. He successfully cut small piece of meat in front of him, but couldn't bare bringing it to his lips.

He kept going back to Jeon Jiwoo in his thoughts, wondering how's she doing. He knew she never liked spending more than one hour alone. Actually, he knew every little detail about her, from her interests to her habits and positive traits.

And to think all that wasn't enough...

"So, are you going to eat that today or...?", Jung Seola interrupted him again, openly showing her curiosity, which pissed him off in a way.

Jiwoo and her are like fire and water, he thinks while finally lifting food and placing it in his mouth.

Do as the doctor said. Breathe normally and think about something that satisfies you.

He keeps food on his tongue for a longer time, trying to picture a beach with peaceful waves crashing against the rocks. However, when he suddenly brought Jiwoo into that picture, he saw the same scared girl from their first night. She was shaking and staring at him like he's a murderer.

"I hate you...", she repeated over and over again until Taehyung gave up and erased the picture from his mind. He decided to swallow that bite so that Seola wouldn't look at him with even more interest.

Meat suddenly got stuck in his throat and before he knew it, he was sweating abnormally and coughing like crazy.

It's going to kill me... I'll die like a poisoned dog, he thought as headspin took over and he landed on his knees. His vision was blurry and he heard a chair moving back.

"Hey! Are you okay?!", Jung Seola panicked right above his head, which obviously didn't help.

Then, something hit him. A memory. It was very blurry, but he noticed he was on the floor and his stomach was cramping badly, With every taken breath, it was harder to stay conscious.

Someone was hovering over him. He saw a nightgown with flower patterns and brown curls. However, he couldn't see the face of mysterious person that was now shaking him.

"Excuse me," voice whispered and then shouted, "Hey! Are you okay?! Answer me!"

"Mr Kim! Kim Tae-hyung!", he snapped back to reality, where Jung Seola was shouting his name and pinching his arm.

He picked himself up in half-sitting pose. She seemed deeply shook by what just happened.

Taehyung smiled in return. "You know that what you just did could get you fired, right?"