Chapter Twenty Five

You & Me

Her

Awoken by warm sun rays tickling her cheeks, Jiwoo parted her eyelids, squinting because of the bright light coming through open window. What time was it? She tried remembering her last task from the day before, looking for some reasonable explanation that would lead to her waking up so late.

The last thing she could remember was crying in shower and locking up the room. Everything after that was just a big black hole. The more she tried to dig deeper into that hole, looking for its roots, the pain in her head was worse. There was something, though. A blurry, disturbing memory.

Two men are fighting a few meters away from her foggy sight. Jiwoo couldn't recognize their faces or voices but she feels strangely concerned for one of them.

"Knock-knock?"

Matthew's voice makes her lose her train of thoughts. She looks up to find him leaning on doorframe with his arms crossed. He's wearing a plain white shirt paired with blue jeans and his hair was messy.

"I was just wondering if you'd like me to bring you anything from the store since I'm heading out?"

His tone, casual as ever, and him getting up late, it all seemed normal. So why was she scared of that normality?

"This might be just a feeling, but um... did anything, perhaps, happen last night?", she couldn't help asking and his face expression froze.

"You don't remember?"

Jiwoo shook her head automatically. "The last thing I recall from yesterday is taking a shower and laying down..."

"You don't remember at all?", he repeated his question.

"Pitch black", blonde shrugged. "But there is this memory that's burdening me..."

She then told him about reminiscence where two men were fighting. Matthew listened carefully and Jiwoo noticed the way he frowned when she mention being worried for one of them.

"It's strange because it feels like close memory and a dream at the same time. I can't see their faces and their voices are distorted. They are fighting about some debts and paying with life."

Her voice would occasionally tremble as she spoke, proving that she was scared. "Are you sure no one was here last night?"

He denied. "No one but us."

Jiwoo didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed with that information, but she lowered her gaze.

"Maybe you were dreaming and one of those two men was your husband. In subconsciousness, you're missing him but you've been apart for a longer time and his face and voice are slowly fading from your mind. You want to meet him, but there is a problem that prevents you from going back."

She nodded absently, staring somewhere beyond physical sight.

"Do you regret trying to kill him?", he asked suddenly.

"Every day of my life."

***

"So you finally decided to clean up?", Jiwoo noticed while going through her purse, looking for keys.

The whole living room looked like one of those "spring cleaning" commercials, it was only matter of the time when professional lights and producer sitting in a chair behind camera would appear. Windows were open so that cleanser smell could expel.

Jiwoo sniffed. "Did you use bleach?"

Matthew scratched the back of his head.

"Special measures for stains as old as my moving to USA."

"I think you used too much, though. It's like the whole floor was washed with it!", she revolted, frowning because of how strong the smell was.

"You're going to college at this time?", he changed the subject before she could start noticing new things and rebelling out loud.

Jiwoo looked at her phone; it showed a few minutes behind 7 pm.

"I have to make up for the lost since I missed morning lecture."

She grabbed her jacket and headed towards the door.

"Tch, such a neat student. A person from your class should go there once a week, maybe twice when you're in mood!", Matthew sighed, openly envying her.

Although she just recently found out she's limited with time on Earth, Jiwoo wasn't planning on leaving college. She promised to not let illness affect her every-day life and that means she can't change any plans just because of her diagnosis.

"Procrastinating is not my strongest side", she shrugged and just as she grabbed the door handle, strong pain hit her head and everything started swinging.

"You okay there?", Matthew called out, noticing how she suddenly clenched her fists.

And then it stopped, though her temples were still throbbing rhythmically. Jiwoo turned around to smile at him.

"See you later!"

As soon as she went out, Matthew locked the door, then let himself plop down on couch. It was as if all strength suddenly left his body and he was drained out.

He did overdo with bleach, but for a very good reason. He still couldn't believe Jiwoo actually bought the "dream" story. Or she was pretending? He read somewhere that shock can lead to memory loss connected to the event where one was traumatized, as a defense mechanism.

Another concern Matthew had on his mind was Family. They're going to start looking for Kevin as soon as tonight and he should be prepared for any type of question if and when they get to his place.

Sighing deeply, he moves the table that stood in the middle of the room. Underneath that table was a red stain he didn't get to remove because his roommate woke up. Matthew grabs the mop and bucket with bleach from the corner and continues scouring with a grimace.

Headache only stopped when Jiwoo was in front of grandiose building that belonged to Manhattan College complex.

At least I won't live long enough to get a degree, she thought bitterly.

Very few people came to night lecture. That's, at least, what she heard, because she hasn't been to any yet. The night sky, once again, doesn't fail to make her feel lonely.

When Jiwoo unlocks her phone, she's immediately greeted by Taehyung's picture that she took secretly while he was asleep in his workroom. Smiling to herself, Jiwoo remember thinking he was cute, handsome even, but she was too proud to admit it to both herself and him.

Maybe if she was more mature back then, they would be able to live a normal life now.

God, I miss him so much...

Taking one last, careless look at the building in front of her, blonde turns around on heel and starts walking towards a bar down the street.

Him

Taehyung entered his father's office after knocking twice. Kim Jung Woo was busy with Design Department team leader, discussing whether or not pink and blue shoes with flower pattern would be suitable for Summer 2017. Even though spring just started, they had to make at least 10 thousand new pairs with minimum of 10 new, unique models. And that was only for June.

To get his Father's attention, Taehyung cleared his throat. Kim Jung Woo raised his head and smiled as soon as he saw his son.

"What is it?", he asked, knowing something is up. At work, Taehyung came to him only when there was something really important, which happened four or five times in whole three years that he's been working in company.

"It's about...", Taeyhung started but was soon interrupted by Hwang Yo-Na, design department leader. She tried to bring Jung Woo's focus back to herself.

"Sir, I need to turn these designs in by the end of work time today and if I don't, there probably won't be Summer or Fall collection this year!", she shouted, pointing at prototypes of each design.

"Ask Taehyung. He's your soon-to-be-CEO anyways."

Upon hearing his name, Taehyung winced and looked at his Father, who was anticipating his reply. He then looked over at each sneaker. The first one had black linen with hot pink flowers all over the place. The second one was same, only the flowers were now green.

"Pink is very common among girls, as well as green among boys. But common means repetitive, and that leads to boring and less popular product. Isn't that what our new collection is supposed to be about; one-in-a-million; be unique, stand out?
For example, take this same model but with greenish-yellow linen and then spray it with pink, blue, green and red. Make it look casual but sporty. Kids like colorful and we shouldn't always pour black-or-white logic into their heads. The key is being creative and interesting at the same time!"

Both Design Department leader and CEO listened to him very carefully. He spoke with such motivation, getting inspired in the matter of seconds. He could already see colorful shoes on shelves and kids wearing them.

"Do as he said and have our best child models on shooting next week!", Kim Jung Woo demanded and Yo-Na only nodded, writing down every word Taehyung said.

"And what about highschool students?", CEO kept testing him but he didn't get confused.

"Based on our research, more than 75% of highschool students like our last-year models where we used denim jeans textile!"

Kim Jung Woo nodded. "Yes, I remember. Our storage was empty in the matter of week."

"They are universal, so couples who want to match shoes can wear them as well. Matching clothes are trending in our country for a few years already, so we might as well take advantage of it."

His Father smiled widely and stood up.

"You see, Team Leader Hwang, this is the man who's going to take over Kim Fashion in two months.

Yo-Na and Taehyung gasped at the same time.

"Father..."

"Son. I must admit, it'll be hard leaving this position. Your Grandfather and I built this company with our bare hands and ideas. But I've come to realization that I'm not as strong as I was in the beginning and I lack something you and all team leaders have and that is youth. It's time for you to step in and give the best of yourself, along with all young people in this building."

Taehyung stared at his Father in disbelief. Was he actually going to step back from Kim Fashion at 57?

"But... what are you going to do?"

"Take care of my health, of course! I've been drinking way too much lately!", he patted Taehyung's shoulders, showing entourage. Then he leaned forward and whispered.

"Hye Jin and I hope you and our daughter-in-law are going to bless us with grandchildren soon..."

Although he smiled, the look in Taehyung's eyes remained unchanged.

"As soon as she comes back from US", he assured him.

If she comes back.

"Team Leader Hwang, if you tell anyone about the news before next week, I'm going to make sure you're fired!"

When they left Kim Jung Woo's office, Hwang Yo-Na sighed and looked at Taehyung.

"Wah, congratulations Tae! It'll be pleasure to work under your command!", she smiled and extended her hand out to shake his. They became friends while studying overseas on same college. She helped him big time with English and getting to know unknown lands and in return for generosity, Taehyung helped her get a job in his Father's company next year. She was only recently promoted to Design Team Leader.

Seven years ago

Yo-Na couldn't believe she agreed to come to yet another party. She shook her left hand to take a look at the watch; it was two in the morning. If it wasn't for her lunatic American roommate Jennet, she'd be asleep for four hours already.

On top of it all, tomorrow - or today - was Monday. Jennet obviously didn't plan on going to morning lectures, and judging by the fatigue that worsened as hours went by, she wasn't going to either.

Yo-Na sighed in relief when she finally reached the bathroom. Locking the door, she was finally able to breathe out and take a moment to calm down - alone. Jennet and Bryan, the boy she liked since the beginning of the semester, were in living room, playing drunken dares with other drunk dares. Her roommate was supposedly able to withstand large amounts of alcohol before she started to act tipsy, but Yo-Na honestly doubted it.

You're going there to study, I don't want to hear anything about you going to parties or getting in trouble with law! - she remembered her Mother's words before her plane departed. They weren't financially stable and she received the scholarship, so wasting it was the last thing on her mind. Although was dry, she dared not to touch any of the cups, not even those that had "water" written with permanent marker.

She took a look at the mirror; her usually straight dark brown hair was now hanging on her shoulders in curls. With minimal eye-makeup, big dark eyes, tofu skin and small height, she looked like a porcelain doll. She was wearing black dress that she borrowed from Jennet and black sandals without heels.

Yo-Na grimaced at the reflection, trying to think of a good reason why she would bother to dress like that.

She exited the bathroom only when someone banged on door with such strength that she jumped. One girl was holding her friend's hand and pushed Yo-Na to side, then proceeded to tell her obviously drunk friend to kneel down. Gross vomiting sounds filled her ears and she decided it's time for her to go back to dorms. If she's lucky enough, she'll get there on time to take a shower and renew few pages before leaving for breakfast.

But when she went to the living room, her friend was nowhere to be found. Yo-Na stopped one girl that Jennet went out with often and asked - yelled because of the loud music - if she saw Jennet around.

"Oh, she and Bryan left together, like, ten minutes ago!"

Crushed by the information she received, Yo-Na thanked the girl and turned around, starting to walk towards the front door in trance. She exited the house and cold breeze hit her almost immediately.

Tears started forming in her eyes. She was cold, nervous and also just found out she lost the only way to go back. Could this go any worse?

"Are you okay?", unknown voice said, but Yo-Na either didn't hear it or ignored it, thinking it was directed to someone else.

Someone stood next to her and spoke with same voice. "I'm sorry, I guess it's rude to approach you in such private moments..."

"No, it's fine", she sniffed and quickly wiped the tears, looking in front of herself. This voice didn't sound drunk and she sincerely hoped it wasn't. "I was just overwhelmed."

"I saw you when you entered with your friends."

Yo-Na looked up when he suddenly spoke in her mother tongue. Next to her was standing the most stunning man she ever saw. The clothes he wore showed he was clearly of higher status than her.

"How do you...?"

Unknown man smiled gently, and she couldn't help but notice that his eyes weren't as cheerful.

"So, I was right. I came here because I was told there would be another Korean at the party."

Hypnotized, small girl smiled back automatically. "Well, here I am."

"I've been looking for you everywhere", he admitted and Yo-Na could swear that, in that moment, her heart skipped a beat. "I know it's cheesy, you're allowed to laugh."

She shook her head. "No, I understand. People easily get lonely in a city this big."

She, herself, spent many nights during first few weeks in college crying because of homesickness.

"What's concerning you so much that you started crying?", beautiful man asked.

"My friends ditched me and now I have to think of another way to get back to the dorms...", she replied in annoyed tone.

"I can drop you off, it's on my way anyways", he offered without hesitation but upon seeing her suspicious-looking eyes, continued. "I haven't drank, not even a drop!"

Yo-Na decided to trust him for now. He seemed trustworthy and that was the only thing that mattered to her. Besides, it wasn't like she had any other option.

"By the way, I'm Yo-Na. Hwang Yo-Na", she introduced herself while they were walking across green grass, leaving the party behind.

"I'm Kim Tae-Hyung."

It was cold October night, but in Yo-Na's heart, it was like cherry flowers blossomed way before they're supposed to. Those three letters would soon become the most important name in her life.

Present day

Yo-Na sighed while watching Taehyung walk with his back turned to her. The only reason why she accepted position in this company was so she could always be close to him.

Two years after their first encounter, when she still hasn't admitted to loving him, her hopes of getting him to like her back went down incredibly quickly. He told her that he believe he's found the love of his life, at that time only 16-year-old high school student at one of the most expensive boarding schools in 

Yo-Na joked about him being too old for such a young girl, but he said he was going to propose her when she turns 18. And he was well-known for always keeping his promises.

The girl - Jeon Jiwoo was her name - was really stunning on the picture he showed her. Her features were somewhere between a girl and young woman and yet they were neither. Yo-Na thought bitterly to herself: why would he choose a child over someone who's on the same emotional, physical and psychological level as himself?

For the first time, she saw him smiling wholeheartedly, with the gleam that gave away his happiness. His happiness was the only thing that mattered to Yo-Na. And if he wasn't meant to be next to her, then she wasn't going to force him into loving her back.

Smiling gently, just like the first time they met, Hwang Yo-Na walks back to her department, guilt for loving somebody else's man pushing her back lower.

***

"Mr Kim, I have something for you!", Secretary Oh cut Taehyung's road, making him stop for a moment.

"Take a look at this as soon as possible", he pushed brown folder in Taehyung's hands.

"Have you seen Seo... Miss Jung around?", he asked, file quickly leaving his thoughts. Just as he said that, Somin appeared behind him.

"I'm here, Tae... Mr Kim! Were you looking for me?", she smiles at Taehyung, completely ignoring Secretary Oh, who quietly walked away soon enough. Brunette saw the way he looked at her while passing by.

"I have very good news to share with you", he laid kiss on her forehead as soon as Secretary Oh was no longer in their sight. Right when he was about to speak again, his phone rang.

Taehyung groaned in annoyance; he's been interrupted the whole morning.

Somin noticed how his face suddenly changed color when he looked at phone screen. He glanced at her, thinking if he should leave the call unanswered.

In the end, he gives brown folder, ordering her to place it wherever in his office and wait for him there. Then he walked - no, ran - away.

When she was left alone, smile faded from Somin's face and she wondered what was so important that he almost lost his breath?

More importantly, what's with the folder Mr Oh gave him? It was now in her hands and she saw no pain in checking. Maybe it's some important paper that's going to help Matthew!

As soon as she entered Taehyung's office, she unclasped the folder... and froze when she saw the content. Inside were pictures of Matthew and Jiwoo, mostly taken in front of the building she knew too well. The shots didn't concern her as much as the next paper.

Matthew's picture with long text beneath. Somin's eyes passed the words as quickly as possible: grew up in Seoul... moved to USA at 15... arrested multiple times... fraud... falsification... selling alcohol to minors... connected to group of Manhattan dealers...

The text was filled with information, from his birthday, height, weight and age, to his parents' lives and whereabouts. Somin even recognized faces of some guys from Family.

At the very bottom, there was a sentence written with pen:

Currently looking into!

Chills passed down her spin as she read the name above that remark:

Jeon So Min