Chapter Twenty Three

You & Me

Him

"So, she was pregnant?"

The doctor nodded. "The patient wasn't aware of that fact either, although she was in late 4th month. Some women don't feel symptoms until the 5th month. It is rare, but it appeared in her case."

Taehyung looked at the room door with concern.

"Can I see her?", he asked hesitantly.

"Just five minutes, please. Miss Jung had a miscarriage and rest is crucial for her recovery."

Murmuring something that was supposed to be "okay", Taehyung enters while trying to be as quiet as possible.

He sighed in relief when he noticed that room was spacious and warm at the same time. After surgical intervention, he ordered to move her to VIP section and placed all debts and payments to his name. By coincidence, this turned out to be Taehyung's in-laws' hospital.

Somin was laying in bed, one arm by her side, connected to infusion stand by tubes, while her other arm was hung loose on her face - more precisely her eyes. He wanted to let her know about his presence, but changed his mind when he noticed the way her chest were shaking and how her lower lip twitched while small gasps escaped from . She was crying.

At this moment, both Jung Seola and Jeon Somin were devastated. How could this happen? It seemed like karma was coming right back at her for tricking Matthew into thinking that she was pregnant. At that time, she thought it was the smartest idea she came up with. She gave up everything; her home, her father's family name and, most of all, her pride; all that just so she could come back to him.

It turned out that she really was pregnant and she was certain it was his child because she never fell for another man both before and after him. How was she going to look him in the eye and admit that she lost the only reason why they were together again? That's right, he only pitied her and nothing more.

She was supposed to get Taehyung's attention by pity as well, at least that's what she was told to do. She was supposed to seduce him, set him up a child that's "born premature", take all the money she can pull out of his pocket, as well as information about bank accounts and Kim Fashion shares' owners. After that, she would flee the country with child, meet Matthew and they would change their identities.

Somin had a plan on her own, which was to really have a child with Taehyung and then do the rest without having to worry about paternity test, Matthew would never even find out.

But now, she ruined everything. If only it wasn't for that Secretary Oh man who called her out, she wouldn't have reacted by running away, her foot wouldn't have distorted and she - they - wouldn't be in this position.

"Seola...", Taehyung called her out gently, using only her first name for the first time since they met. "Do you want me to call anyone? Your parents, perhaps, or... your boyfriend?"

She jumped so suddenly that the infusion stand moved and she saw black dots in front of her eyes. "No no no, don't call anyone, I'm begging you!"

He was confused by that type of reaction, but told himself it must be normal, judging by the situation she went through that night.

"I mean... My parents are long gone, and he... well, he would be worried so please don't do anything. I'm always all alone, so going through this won't be that much of a challenge!"

To assure him, Somin gave him obviously fake smile and erased tears from her eyes.

But being as stubborn as he always is, Taehyung shook his head, opposing her.

"Not this time", he placed his palm beneath her chin and removed the remaining tears from her cheek with his thumb. "This time you have me."

In a very strange way, he felt deeply connected to this woman. He was always surrounded by people who told him how much they loved him, but it wasn't long after his 16th birthday that he's realized those were all lies. People bowed and respected him only because of his father and company's name. Nobody ever stopped to think if there was something else to him than just his name. For them he was Kim Jung Woo's son, and that fact was enough for them to think they know what kind of person he is.

"I won't call anyone unless you tell me to", he assured her. "Not even the doctors. But in return, I need you to stay calm and collected. Can you do that much?"

Somin scoffed. "Would you tell your wife to stay collected if she lost your baby? I mean, it must be a pretty big deal because she'd lost the next heir of everything the two of you own."

Taehyung nodded calmly. "I think that one's mental and physical health is far more important than material things. I would probably watch over her like she's a baby herself."

Then he leaned forward to whisper, like he's afraid there might be someone secretly listening to their conversation.

"But my wife doesn't want to have a child with me."

Somin raised her eyebrows. That information could be useful to Matthew. Very useful. She smiled at the man in front of her and said the first thing that came to her mind.

"Can we go eat somewhere? I saw a really nice place just across the street."

"Sure", he offered her a hand to stand up. "But the rules demand you shouldn't leave the room for at least 3 hours, or at all, so we have to be careful."

When they reached the restaurant Somin was talking about, she ordered meat, soup and a bottle of soju. When she was about to start eating, she stopped and looked at Taehyung, who didn't take anything, claiming that "he already ate".

"I know about your phobia...", she said suddenly.

"I don't know what you're talking about", he looked away.

"My sister had the same problem. She was victim to food poisoning and wouldn't taste anything for days, except some sweet food."

Right now, she was lying, but only because she wanted to gain his trust and help him get over that fear before everything.

"You know how she got over it? By slowly bringing food back to her digestive track, starting from soups and rice in first week and adding meat in fourth week."

Though he wasn't looking at her, Somin had a feeling that he was listening.

"You should try it. Here, take this soup as your first test. You know it's delicious and maybe even crave a bowl on your own, but something is blocking you. Maybe you're afraid it could be too salty, or too sweet. Perhaps too bitter for your taste or suspicious in your stomach. But truth is, 95 percent of the food in Korean restaurants is guaranteed to do nothing but feed you well. You're scared you could get the food from the remaining 5 percent. I'm here and I'm about to taste it. Do you promise to give it a try if you see that nothing happened to me?"

He hesitated for a moment, but the hope in her eyes didn't give him much choice.

"Okay, I promise."

Just as he said that, someone approached their table and they both looked up at the same time. There was standing no other but Jiwoo's mother.

Jiwoo

New York, USA

I felt all strength leaving my body as I sat in the chair next to doctor's office.

What was the point of my life, if I had to end up in this situation? How could it happen to me, of all people?

My whole life I've been nice to others, never disobeying orders or abandoning my family's rules. My role models we're people who did nothing but good to humanity, my goals never included doing wrong to get right for myself.

So why did this have to happen?

First instinct was to grab my phone and dial Taehyung, but then I stopped, staring at dark screen blankly.

Would he even pick up? And if he did, how would he react? Morbid thought formed in my head, which was that he would be glad.

After all, I tried to kill him. Why would he feel sorry?

No, I won't tell anyone. I'll let it develop silently, while doing what I did until now: going to college, studying, maybe even going out more.

I grip the paper with results that showed bitten truth.

I'm positive to brain tumor.