Chapter Twenty One

You & Me

Him

"Is there something on my face?"

"What?"

Taehyung blinked and moved elbows off his desk, immediately going back to his papers.

"You've been staring at me like that for a while, so I thought my foundation wore off."

Pretending to look at the schedule book, Taehyung couldn't help but furtively watch brunette checking here makeup using a pocket mirror. The name card swung left and right as she leaned forward. Jung Seola.

For some reason, she was always on same places as him ("It must be destiny, right?", she would joke, but Taehyung felt there was something more to it) and would always try and start a conversation with him. Her subjects didn't go further than most recent clothing lines, pop stars' love lives and beauty salons she's heard of.

After she was done, he cleared his throat. "I wanted to say... thank you."

"What for?"

"For trying to help me back then, at the restaurant..."

"Don't mention it", Somin shook her head and went to the coffee maker, the reason she came here in the first place. Coffee maker in Taehyung's office was better and newer than the one in kitchen.

Although it's been a little over two weeks, he was still thinking about the memory that hit him when he fainted. It lasted only five seconds, but it left him under deep impression. Who was the person shouting his name in motel room? Official statement had it that Jiwoo was the one to call the police when he lost consciousness, but of course, he soon found out that wasn't the case.

And now, she wasn't picking up his calls either...

Soon-to-be-CEO cursed under his breath. He swore he wouldn't call unless it was emergency; he forgot about the wedding they were supposed to attend, probably because it was planned all the way back in October and he forgot due to the mess post the anniversary incident.

Han Jin Young, the man who had most of Kim Fashion's shares right beneath his father, was getting married to June Gong, a model that he met on shooting for spring collection in 2016. It was very important for their whole family to show support by attending the wedding. Including Jiwoo. Jin Young called her "a pearl in times when everyone's acting like diamonds". How bitter would he be if he realised that pearl wasn't able to be there on his special day?

All kinds of thoughts possessed Taehyung's mind in the matter of seconds. Was she dead? If so, what hospital was she at (maybe it was so serious that she's in the no-phone ward)? Or perhaps, she was just studying hard so she could finish major as soon as possible and come back to him? Though he liked that thought, it was theoretically impossible.

He looked down on his phone, then up at Jung Seola, who was busy making coffee, then back at phone. He hated being so obsessive, but he had to make sure everything was fine.

Call me, he wrote shortly and waited for the receiver to do it. Minutes later, his phone rings. Detective Park. Taehyung didn't wait for 2nd ring to pick up.

"Mr Park, what a pleasant surprise!", he acted happy and surprised just in case the secretary was trying to eavesdrop.

"I would like to say the feeling is both-sided, but I would lie...", the voice on the other side said. Park's voice was hoarse, maybe he was asleep before receiving the message.

"Did you check that thing I asked you about?", Taehyung asked casually, keeping an eye on Seola, whose back were facing him.

"I've been checking for the past two weeks", Park replied with sceptical tone, making Taehyung roll his eyes.

"So?"

There was silence for good ten seconds. Park hesitated. Seola's back were stiff for a while now.

"The subject, so far, has attended all lessons from their schedule; their arrival time is neat as they are never late to any of the lessons. The subject never stops to talk to other students, professors or people on the street. They get home in late afternoon - at 5pm - and never go out after 6."

Kim Taehyung smiled with relief as familiar feeling filled him inside and out - feeling that he's still in control. Her day, the roof above her head and, finally, herself. That all completely and utterly depended on him and his wishes. Some (including Park) may call it obsession, madness even, but he did not give importance to that fact. After realizing he won't be able to get her heart, he made sure for everything else to be under his power.  The contract was first of many things to come during the next two years.

"That's perfect. I suppose you are taking care of keeping your hideout hidden", he concluded and hung up, satisfied. His focus then turned to Jung Seola, who was still standing by the coffee maker, and suddenly shouted at her. "How long does it take for a coffee to cook?!"

She winced and turned around with annoyed face expression. "Actually, the device was unplugged..."

Taehyung rolled his eyes while watching her walk out.

Thirty minutes later, his phone rang new message. He was disturbed to see Park's number.

You sounded cautious so I couldn't mention this over phone call for safety reasons... You should check your e-mail and the pictures I sent you. There's something I left out...

With knot forming in his stomach, Taehyung immediately opened his laptop and checked mail.

*******@gmail.com sent attachment

He waited for files to download during the longest 15 seconds in his life and opened the first one while bitterness raised up his throat.

His gut wasn't wrong. On first picture, Jiwoo was walking out of unknown building - it was taken yesterday morning  by local New York time. She also appeared on every next photo, walking in and out of same building, on different dates. The oldest photo was taken two weeks ago and it showed his wife in front of the building with suitcase in one hand.

Although it was more than obvious, Taehyung had to get one more information before he could be completely sure that pictures aren't a scam.

"Mrs Murphy, how are you doing?", he spoke to phone in cheerful tone.

"Mr Kim, what a surprise!", it shouldn't be since they spoke every day when she informed him about Jiwoo's wellbeing. Or at least he thought so. Mrs Murphy must be a great liar, since her voice never shook while she was talking.

"Is there something you want to tell me?", Taehyung continued while opening new mail from Park that arrived moments ago. Another picture file.

"About?"

"I don't know, maybe the fact that she's no longer a resident at your mansion and how you've been hiding it from me?"

The file was downloaded and Taehyung opened it.

Mrs Murphy sighed. "Jiwoo moved out two weeks ago after finding out that I'm... providing you with informations about her life in New York."

Taehyung didn't answer. His senses were focused on laptop screen and picture that just loaded.

"... she looked so disappointed and hurt that I couldn't bring myself to inform you right away... Mr Kim, are you still there?"

He clenched his jaw and took a deep breath in and out. "I'll give you a call soon..."

Rage was rushing through his whole body as he came to realization. Not only did Jiwoo move out without giving him notice, but she was also seeing someone else. On the picture, she was getting on bike with the help of an unknown man. It was taken less than 40 minutes ago, around the time he called her and she didn't pick up.

Taehyung laughed to himself mentally. What else was he expecting after she tried to kill him? That she would spend all her alone time to self-reflect and then beg him to let her come back?

It was too late, because if she did it now, he wouldn't let her. A knife that she already stabbed in his back just dug a little deeper.

He dialed Park's number after thinking for a while.

"I want everything: the guy's name, address, his work place, past, police records if he has any, the building location. I want you to follow her every step no matter where she is. Double your work time and do anything just to always be where she is. Understood?"

At the same time, something hit him; an idea. If he can't make her come back by herself, he's going to get revenge, and he's going to use the same method!

If we're going to disobey the contract all the time, we might as well do it together...

Taehyung dialed number of Han Ki Joon's department.

"Tell Jung Seola to come to my office as soon as possible.

***

"Let me revise. You want me to attend the wedding with you because your wife is not here?"

"Exactly."

Somin looked at her future CEO in disbelief. First gut told her to go for it, but the little morality she had left quickly won and she shook her head.

"I'm sorry, but I have to refuse."

"What makes you think you have a choice?", Taehyung raised his eyebrows, pulling the ' I'm the superior ' card. She didn't answer. "Personally, I think that's a great chance for someone like you, since some of the most influential people, not only from Seoul but also Korea, Japan and China. Whatever you're interested in, you are getting a chance to talk to someone from that field. Modeling, journalism, cooking, acting, script-writing. You want private audition? DSP CEOs are looking for additional members for their new co-ed group that's debuting in July! You name it and I make sure you get your five minutes."

"Still, people are going to start talks...", she tested him a little more before making final decision. He laughed.

"I thought you weren't one of those who cared about talks? Just take it as a gift for saving Kim Fashion's heir."

While Jung Seola was hesitant, Jeon Somin was exulting. One part of her wondered what  happened for him to decide to invite her, but other part didn't care. She had to make a plan, and that plan had to be perfect.

Finally, she smiles back. "Okay then. When are we leaving?"

Taehyung picked up his coat and took her by the hand. "Right away."