Chapter Seventeen

You & Me

Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.

Even though she was in first class, soft chairs, peace and silence couldn't stop Somin from swerving in major panic attack.

Plane was about to depart and all she could think about was how something is going to go wrong (one of the engines could blow up!) and they were all going to die miserable death surrounded by steal and fuel, sinking at the bottom of ocean with their bodies never discovered because sharks ate them for breakfast.

She kept taking deep breaths in and out, but her heart raced when captain announced that they're about to fly 10,000 feet in the air and that they should turn off their electronic devices until he says it's safe to have them back on again.

"Please check your seat belts.", the voice says, making brunette immediately lose her mind.

Oh my god, he said to check our seat belts. That means something could go wrong! Something will definitely go wrong! Oh god, I didn't even get the chance to tell my father I'm sorry...

"Excuse me..."

Somin turns her head sharply, only to be greeted by the most fascinating gaze she's ever seen. His voice was nothing like his eyes; cold and distant. It was rather calm and soft. It took her a moment to recognize his face.

Kim Taeyhung was talking to her. He was staring at her, leaning in his chair just so he could have a better look at her. Just in case, Somin checks if there was someone around her that he could be speaking to.

"Yes?", she manages to gasp out a single word, feeling her stomach doing acrobatic turns from inside.

"You seem quite bothered. Is this your first time flying?"

His tone is as sweet as honey and she would've melted... if she was a 14-year-old. She collects herself before shaking her head.

"Just feeling anxious.", she replies honestly, speaking fluent Korean and he raises his eyebrows, surprised but happy at the same time, that he doesn't have to speak English, that has always annoyed him.

"I supposed it's true what they say; fear doesn't disappear overnight."

She nods in agreement. "If anything, it only gets worse."

Taehyung serves her a charming smile. Compared to pale face she's seen in hospital, this was a huge improvement. But Somin couldn't help noticing there was no gloss in his eyes as he did so. Maybe he was just tired...

"I'm sorry, I started a conversation and haven't even asked for your name.", he says, bursting her small bubble of thoughts.

"Seola. Jung Seola."

"Well, Seola...", he waited a little but she didn't seem to mind lack of honorifics. "Why are you traveling to Seoul?"

"Applying for a job. If I succeed, I might move permanently."

Taehyung seemed strangely interested in what she was saying, like applying for job is not an every-day thing. His eyebrows raised as he nodded and Somin got a feeling that he was listening with 100% attention directed to her. In the meantime, her beat-skipping heart slowed down and her breathing pattern stabilized.

In that moment, captain's voice spoke over speakers again, saying they are on height of 10,000 feet above the ground and have started their voyage safely. Brunette looked through the window and all she saw was night sky blue. The airplane was sailing above clouds like a ship down the unknown ocean. Their lives were now in hands of a single man.

Somin looked over at her new acquaintance with widen eyes, realizing his intentions. He was distracting her during the whole departure, so that she wouldn't be scared.

"So what's your major?", he asks casually and she smiles back.

"Finance. A coffee maker or secretary would be enough for me, though."

Taehyung laughed.

I bet you don't even know how to turn on a stove, let alone make a coffee, Somin thought angrily, frowning at his unusual reaction. Some people around them turned around to see what's all the fuss about and she could only sink deeper in embarrassment and imagine what he thought of her right now.

"Aren't people like you supposed to be in economic class?"

Ouch.

Really, what's someone like her doing in first class?

And what's someone like you doing in life?

She had an urge to yell those words in his face, but that would only prove his point. She wasn't an ambassador, or someone from business, nor she was a famous singer. She was just... there. Therefore, she was a nobody.

She didn't realize that she was clenching her fists until her nails were buried in her palms and her knuckles turned white.

Somin didn't just dislike people like Kim Taehyung. She hated them with passion. Almost like a pagan in 15th century, when church's word was holy and priests and Pope earned fortunes by sitting and saying Earth is round.

"I don't need to explain my reasons to someone as ignorant as you."

"Sounds like a deal to me.", he shrugs and turns away, quickly losing interest. She scoffs to herself.

Why would Matthew, of all people, aim at someone he knew she would hate?

And then she got a suspicious feeling. What if he was doing exactly that to make her walk away by herself, once she gets bored playing cat and mouse?

Somin looked at Taehyung under her eye. He was holding up a glass of champagne and staring at it with strange focus. If she was mad enough, she would've 'accidentally' spilled drink on his suit and watch him get pissed off, but she wasn't in mood. Who knows what would he be capable of doing when they land.

The girl looked down to her stomach.

Time is running out...

Thirteen hours later, at around 6 am (because of time zone change, in Korea it was already a day later) they landed at Incheon International Airport. Somin took her two suitcases at the terminal and went to find a cab. When she exited, she saw familiar backs, but he was now surrounded by four gorillas, while another man was running next to him. Somin recognized him as the man who never left his room during hospital stay, and instinctively pulled her cap a little lower, so he wouldn't see her too. But he didn't have much time, since he and Taehyung were talking about something seemingly important.

Then the man opened car doors for him and Somin could't help snickering at that sight. And then she remembered her assignment and rushed to first free car.

"Where to, Miss?", the driver asked and she directed him to Kim Fashion. While slowly driving through already crowded Seoul roads, she took her time watching her hometown starting new day. One word she always connected to it was "rush". People rushing here, people rushing there. Joggers, doctors, lawyers, shopkeepers who needed to open their locals. She saw all kinds of uniforms. Whether it was elementary school students or 16-years-old high school students, it reminded her of happy times when she would go through city center with her two best friends, Han-Byul and Han-Eul, twin sisters as different in personalities as they were same in looks. Han-Byul always wanted to become a doctor, like their mother, so she felt great responsibility, worked hard and studied to keep herself at the top. All Han-Eul cared about were boys, parties and ways to hide makeup from their teachers, but she was so fun to be around.

And then, Han-Byul killed herself. She jumped from 3000 feet of height on Hangang Bridge. Apparently, she was being bullied by a group of girls for a long time, and her responsibility turned into obsession, a burden that brought her more bad than good.

"We're here, Miss."

She turned her head and noticed the taxi has stopped in front of tall white building. She didn't even bother to count number of windows, which was even to number of offices. And that was a lot, even for four department business.

Somin payed for ride and asked the driver if he could wait for her for at least 10 minutes. Then she rushed to get in before Taehyung, whose car was just parking.

Without stopping to look around, she went to reception. Taehyung was entering while she was asking about job applying, saying she got an email confirming she was accepted. The girl behind the counter quickly typed in her fake name and it popped out seconds after she clicked "search". He was now close enough to see the receptionist shaking her hand and saying "Welcome to Kim Fashion, Miss Jung."

Somin turned around and directed him a winner face.

"Jung Seola, coffee girl and secretary of Mr Han Ki Joon."

He gripped her hand a little too strong and introduced himself like he was speaking about an idol or president. "Kim Tae Hyung. Your future CEO."

She smiled back.

I know...