Chapter Six

You & Me

Matthew's POV

I let out a puff of smoke, which satisfied me for mere three seconds. So I pulled another one. And another one. Smoke after smoke, breathe in after breathe out, nicotine managed to calm me down. I knew it wasn't going to last long, so I made sure the pack is always in my reach.

There was nothing but silence and darkness surrounding the motel. Builder chose peaceful location, and it seemed like nothing could ever ruin that peace. Well, only if group of smart druggies decided to take over the neighborhood...

As soon as I lit second cigarette, there was a discreet cough. I turned around and noticed small silhouette sitting on bench next to me. Even though her head was hung low and I couldn't see her face, it was definitely a female. She was trying to suppress cough reflex but found it hard to do, as if she didn't want to attract any attention.

"Smoking's not your thing, is it?", I asked without turning to look at her.

"My best friend used to be passive smoker, but I can't take the smell...", she replies, I think also without turning to face me.

"Used to?", I suppose they're not friends anymore or she was weak enough to stop.

"She killed herself two years ago," she says shortly. There are no emotions in her voice, I guess she doesn't want to be reminded of that fact.

Then she sighs loudly. "All men are heartless..."

"Maybe you would think otherwise if you women stopped taking everything so personal."

"Probably," I could imagine her shrugging her shoulders in the dark. "But you haven't seen my husband."

"Then you shouldn't have married him in the first place."

She spoke the word "husband" almost like she was spitting it.

"What makes you think I wanted to marry him?"

So, arranged marriage.

"Falling in love is way worse. One day you break up and months later they appear when you just get used to them not being there."

Sigh again.

"Love is temporary but memories and time you invested in someone are forever. As well as the time you waste on them..."

I finish cigarette and reach out to take another but change my mind, taking my interlocutor in consideration.

"What's your name?", she asks after we spent a few minutes in silence.

"Ma... Jin Seok. Kim Jin Seok."

"Can you keep a secret, Jin Seok?"

I frown. The more we talk, the more she confuses me. We go from her friend committing suicide, over her arranged marriage and love, to me being able to keep secrets.

"I guess so?", I finally respond, wondering what this is about.

"I think I killed my husband."

When I turned around, silhouette was gone and only thing heard was heels clamping on the ground.

I realized too late, that I should've gone after her right away. Hell, I should've ignored her when she started coughing.

Perhaps then our two worlds would've never met and come so close to collapse.

One hour earlier

Jiwoo came back while Taehyung was in shower, so he didn't hear door opening and closing.

Right when she finished setting the table, staff from room service knocked and she let them set most expensive food from the menu.

"What the hell is this?", he shouts, more disturbed than surprised. His wife smiles sweetly. She's wearing short sleeved black dress that barely covered her thighs, paired up with black heels whose height was discreet.

"I just wanted us to wrap up our anniversary weekend with peaceful dinner. Isn't that just your style?"

As much as she sounded casual, her comment had certain dose of bitterness directed to him. But now she decided to act.

"Come on, dress something nice, you're the heir of fashion company!"

Okay then. The show must go on.

Minutes later, they're sitting and eating in usual silence, that seems a little suspicious this time. But then again, when was the last time they had meals in relaxed manner?

Jiwoo picked up purple decorative bag that stood next to her chair all this time, and gave it to him somehow too wholeheartedly.

Taehyung couldn't believe what happened to be inside the bag. Cheval Blank - one of the most expensive red wine vintages dating from far 1947.

"I admit it wasn't cheap, nor was it easy to find but I know it's your favorite," she smiles again, watching his priceless reaction and the way his eyes widened, as if he still couldn't believe the bottle tag.

"How did you know?", he asks, gripping it like tomorrow doesn't exist.

"Are you kidding me? You wouldn't stop talking about it all night after your company's banquette!"

And then, she laughed. It was actually first time in two years that he's seen her really laughing. It wasn't like those fake, empty laughs she let out from time to time when they were in public; this laugh was honest, warm and - innocent.

Taehyung realized why she hated him. Jeon Jiwoo was basically a child when she had to marry him. Her parents, along with his and finally himself, took something one 19-year-old shouldn't lose and that was her freedom. But because of her class, she had to restrain from going against her family, but that's why she never showed emotions around him. When he thought they were just acting, Jiwoo was just hiding. Who knows how broken she must've been inside.

They click their glasses of wine in renewed silence.

"I'm sorry...", he mutters as he takes a sip.

And for a moment, she wondered if this was a good idea.

***

Already tipsy, the two ended up staying up and talking about usual nonsense: how she had to order bottle of wine to special address so he wouldn't notice, the way his father's colleagues look at him when he enters the building, how she spends money he gives her on clothes that she never even wears and makeup she sometimes overuses.

"Let's dance, hmm?", Jiwoo turns on the radio which plays calm waltz melody that seems to fit the atmosphere perfectly.

"You know I don't...", he tries to reject her but she pulls onto his sleeve.

"Ah come on grandpa, it's fun!"

He finally gives in and gets up, following her to the middle of small room. She places her palm on his arm and his finds way to her waist. He didn't know, but it made her heart skip a beat.

"Are you in fever?", Taehyung asks carefully but she shakes her head, at the same time asking why. "Your cheeks are red."

Jiwoo scolds herself mentally, saying it's too late for that kind of reaction.

They dance in circles, following the rhythm coming from old-fashioned radio. Everything was perfect. Almost too perfect...

She moves along, slowly pushing him to where single bed was. He smirks, thinking that they both know where this is going.

Suddenly, Taehyung feels somethings rushing up from his stomach, until it reached his throat. Second later, he throws up all food he ate that night.

Melody from radio speeds up, announcing final .

Jiwoo falls on top of him, asking what's wrong. However, her voice doesn't seem to be as panicked as it should be. It was as if she was expecting something like this to happen.

Before being forced to close his eyes, he remembered what she said before heading out earlier that day.

"You know that one of our contracts is breakable, right?